Hardware Problem with Mayflash Wii/PS3 VGA cable

CambridgeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone.

I've just received a Mayflash VGA cable, and it's all wonderful except for one thing... this happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qpGY-AbXo

At very predictable times, the screen just goes black. The worst is when you kill an enemy in No More Heroes, this happens, thus interrupting gameplay. I've tried this cable on three different monitors, and it happens on all of them (even on a CRT monitor).

Does anyone know if anything can be done about this? Or is the cable just faulty?

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Odd, reminds me when I had a dodgy KVM switch without a power supply unit, as soon as it was put under more strain i.e a game it blacked out completely, I had to get a power supply unit and it worked fine.

Are there any pins bent on the VGA cable? have you also tried wiggling it about i.e at the back of the wii and on the connector into the monitor incase its dodgy wiring?

CambridgeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've made sure it's a nice sturdy connection, and there are no pins bent. I think I'm going to have to send it back — as you can see, it doesn't take much to trigger the screen blanking out.

Kadano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, I realize this thread is almost 4 years old, but it’s still up high on the Google results for Mayflash VGA and doesn’t offer a proper solution.

The black flash problem is due to the Wii’s bad 480p output. Every 1000 frames or so, it will output one interlaced frame. This is a major problem for things like the Avermedia LGP USB recorder and most LCD screens. With CRT monitors, however, this usually does not cause the black screen – due to their analogue nature, only one single frame won’t cause them to detect “out of range”.

If you use your Wii to play Gamecube games and want to use VGA output, the Gamecube VGA cables (need to be resoldered from D-Terminal or YPbPr / “component” cables) work better, as the Gamecube doesn’t suffer from the weird 480i frame problem.

However, I’d rather recommend to keep the Wii VGA cable and simply go for a CRT PC monitor. Even high-end models can be bought for 20$-ish nowadays, and they have zero lag and great colors if in good condition. A much better experience for gaming than LCD.

For my setup (triple CRT), I still prefer the Gamecube VGA cable mod, though. The GC VGA can be simply split to many outputs with a powered splitter, the Wii VGA cannot. Every attempt has resulted in a steady black screen on all screens. I believe that the Mayflash adapter uses non-standard VGA sync, maybe sync-on-green (?) that can’t be properly handled by distribution amplifiers like mine.

Reactions: TyroKith

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking