Gaming Problem while downloading a torrent

Lokao0

aka LkProd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've been trying to download a game using uTorrent. I got the torrent from a reliable source.
However, when I add it into uTorrent, after verifying it, it tells me this:
Error: Element Not Found
I have tried doing lots of things, like trying another torrent for the same game, but still shows the error.
What should I do?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Giving google a quick batch search, I get a lot of hits. Skimming over them, the understanding I get is that it's an error regarding loading an error. It doesn't know exactly which error should be loaded, so that would be the "element no found". As for the original error, a few common solutions keep popping up.

Firstly, double check that you actually have space on the HDD. This is the most common cause for that error. Free up a few GB to give it some room to breath.
Secondly, double check the depth of the directory structure it's placed in. uTorrent should be in Program Files, so no problem there, but make sure your Download folder isn't too deep (e.g. "C:\Users\Awesomesauceuser\My Documents\My Received Files\uTorrent Downloads\insertverylongtorrentnamehere.randomtrackername.mediatagsqualitysizeetc.rar"). If that directory name gets too long (255 characters), you will encounter problems. Ideally it should just be C:\Downloads\ or something similar.
Thirdly, check the settings. If something is wrongly configured, that could problems. Examples I've come across are diskio.coalesce_writes and bt.compact_allocation - both in the advanced section, and people say setting them to false fixes their problems.
Fourthly, check the torrents to make sure you're not trying to download something you've already downloaded. Some people report that gives this error.
Fifthly, check the source. Is it with every torrent from one source, every torrent from every source, or just that one download?
Finally, check uTorrent again. Is it the latest version? Have you tried reinstalling?

Also, why torrents? Why not direct downloads?
EDIT: @mantis, DDL is not the "way to go", it's just an alternative. The fact that it quite often has better results than torrents (depending on the tracker/file host) doesn't rule out torrents as an effective source for "files". At least torrents never try to encourage you to buy premium.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, why torrents? Why not direct downloads?
EDIT: @mantis, DDL is not the "way to go", it's just an alternative. The fact that it quite often has better results than torrents (depending on the tracker/file host) doesn't rule out torrents as an effective source for "files". At least torrents never try to encourage you to buy premium.

Legally, DDL should be a lot safer than Torrents. DDL, you have only one download from one source. Torrents you have been distributing the file to however many peers happen to be linked at the same time. If you are ever in trouble for copywriter infringement torrent distribution would carry a much heftier fine than a single download for personal use.

Not that I wanted to hijack this thread to discuss the merits of different methods of illegal downloads.

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Small tip. Stop using torrents. DDL is the way to go,

Small tip, actually post something on topic.

@OP: uTorrent has a "Help" up top. But here you go:

This error may occur when you remove or rename files from a torrent job. If this is the case, try to re-add or rename the files back, or force a re-check on the torrent job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1