Price of 3DS consoles and which one to get?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
okay, I want to get a new used New 3DS (damn it Nintendo and your naming ways). most likely a New 3DS XL to add to the collection. I already have own an OG 3DS and a New 2DS XL.

which one is recommended? like any thing I should know or look out for?

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, I want to get a new used New 3DS (damn it Nintendo and your naming ways). most likely a New 3DS XL to add to the collection. I already have own an OG 3DS and a New 2DS XL.

N3DSXL tends to be the product of choice for most people... I have a non-XL New 3DS and I quite like it. I like that it's more compact, and that it has interchangeable shells (something the XL doesn't have).
Otherwise, unless you really really like shells or being able to comfortably fit it in your pocket, a N3DSXL would be your best bet.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
N3DSXL tends to be the product of choice for most people... I have a non-XL New 3DS and I quite like it. I like that it's more compact, and that it has interchangeable shells (something the XL doesn't have).
The New 3DS performs much faster than the latter, with the CPU clocked at 804 MHz instead of 268 MHz (just nearly up to 300MHz).

Reactions: BigOnYa and Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Otherwise, unless you really really like shells or being able to comfortably fit it in your pocket, a N3DSXL would be your best bet.
Depends on what you prefer when it come to screen size, if you wants bigger screen go for N3DS XL, if you want the smaller screen goes for the N3DS.

lost my train of thought when creating this thread. but prices are crazy now, even on places like ebay. made me wish i brought them when they were selling for retail.

i know about the cpu and screen are better in some.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lost my train of thought when creating this thread. but prices are crazy now, even on places like ebay. made me wish i brought them when they were selling for retail.

i know about the cpu and screen are better in some.
CPU is only better from old 3DS to New 3DS. To my knowledge, there isn't any functional difference between a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL.
As for the screen, I think the new models have slightly higher density than the old ones, but I could be incorrect.
Post automatically merged:

The New 3DS performs much faster than the latter, with the CPU clocked at 804 MHz instead of 268 MHz (just nearly up to 300MHz).
As in, when compared with the XL? Or old 3DS vs new 3DS?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
CPU is only better from old 3DS to New 3DS. To my knowledge, there isn't any functional difference between a New 3DS and a New 3DS XL.
As for the screen, I think the new models have slightly higher density than the old ones, but I could be incorrect.

i meant like TN and IPS screens.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Both the NN3DS and NN3DSXL are good consoles, and I'd say the only noteworthy distinctions are whether your eye sight is good enough for the regular sized displays or if you'd like it to be slightly bigger and thus easier readable. The other part would be how portable they are. It's not a huge difference but the regular ones will fit into more pockets more comfortably.

Personally I'd suggest figure what size you'd prefer, than check if they have a design that speaks to you and go from there. Comfort and style are really what it boils down to, or whichever you can get for cheaper. Also might be a good idea to check locally as well and not just online, chances are you might find one nearby for cheaper than on eBay.

Reactions: Flame

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n3ds = smaller, screen looks slightly better because it has a higher ppi than the n3dsxl, worse to hold if you have big hands and the battery lasts not as long

n3dsxl = bigger(who would've guessed?) better battery, screen looks slightly worse because lower ppi, and better to hold if you have big hands.

n2dsxl = its just a worse product but it had cooler special editions

Either way you're getting a better experience than the o(ld)3ds, o2ds, etc.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Spare parts for the non-XL model from the "New" series are harder to get. Much more rare model. Even the KTR-003 battery is obscure compared to the CTR-003 (O3DS, O2DS, N2DSXL, Pro controller) and the SPR-003 (O3DSXL, N3DSXL).

Both 3DS from the New series are awesome.

didn't the o3DS XL have an issue with the speakers? Did they fix that with the n3DS XL?
What speakers? Since when do handhelds have proper loudspeakers? Proper speaker weigh about 10kg or more to not sound like a rusty tin bucket.
Jokes aside, the sound is a bit improved on the newer version. Sometimes O3DSXL sounds strange because of some resonance.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, prices are crazy nowadays, in spain where I lived there were 2 shops which sells used consoles. An O3ds started at 100€ and the new 3ds from 130€ if I remember right. I had a stroke of luck because one day in one of those shops I was looking at the consoles exposed there and just passing time. The clerk came and asked if I wanted something, I said that I can't decide between a ps vita or a 3ds. I didn't have any intention to buy anything. Then he said: You know, I have a New 3ds without charger, in good condition at 49€. He came back with a Galaxy edition New 3ds XL.
We're in europe, so we didn't get that one over here, as 3ds has region lock(I knew, had a o3ds years ago) he told me I could "unlock it" and play games from other regions. I was thinking (well duh, I know more than you about these things). Anyway, bought it and bought a charger for about 5€. So 54€ for a New 3ds Xl North american edition. I once looked online on ebay and someone was selling one for about 980€

Sorry for long comment, in the end I feel the non XL variant is better looking in my opinion

Edit:Found some old pictures from last year, they are exceptions but still, some people sell them as if they're gold or something

Attachments

• 20230812_184415.jpg
    20230812_184415.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230812_184429.jpg
    20230812_184429.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited by zekro94,
Reactions: Blythe93

Mmyi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Definitely one of the "new" 3ds systems. I would say the definitive one would be either the new 3ds XL or the new 3ds! The new 2ds XL is a great choice but the triggers are soldered which makes it more difficult to repair and the top screen is quite flimsy

Last edited by Mmyi,

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I personally have a new 3DS XL model with a top IPS screen because that's the best I could find around here. I bought it a year and a half ago for 130 Euros or so. Pricey, but considering what they go for now, pretty cheap. Now, whether you should go for TN or IPS, that's a whole other story. To me, and probably many people as well, IPS screens just look much better. I'd say it comes to this:

1) If you'll play games with your 3D slider OFF - Both IPS screens or at least top IPS screen is the best option.
2) If you'll play games with your 3D slider ON - Any version will do.

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, prices are crazy nowadays, in spain where I lived there were 2 shops which sells used consoles. An O3ds started at 100€ and the new 3ds from 130€ if I remember right. I had a stroke of luck because one day in one of those shops I was looking at the consoles exposed there and just passing time. The clerk came and asked if I wanted something, I said that I can't decide between a ps vita or a 3ds. I didn't have any intention to buy anything. Then he said: You know, I have a New 3ds without charger, in good condition at 49€. He came back with a Galaxy edition New 3ds XL.
We're in europe, so we didn't get that one over here, as 3ds has region lock(I knew, had a o3ds years ago) he told me I could "unlock it" and play games from other regions. I was thinking (well duh, I know more than you about these things). Anyway, bought it and bought a charger for about 5€. So 54€ for a New 3ds Xl North american edition. I once looked online on ebay and someone was selling one for about 980€

Sorry for long comment, in the end I feel the non XL variant is better looking in my opinion

Edit:Found some old pictures from last year, they are exceptions but still, some people sell them as if they're gold or something
Wishful thinking mate.
Actually on Ebay you can mark those articles that really sold and see the prices:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 11-58-12 new 3ds galaxy edition online kaufen eBay.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 11-58-12 new 3ds galaxy edition online kaufen eBay.png
    321.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto