Gaming Preventing Uninstallion of Programs

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the deal. I have a cousin with autism that is pretty low functioning. In her attempts to install a printer on her computer by herself (a printer that doesn't even work

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case UAC probably isn't going to cut it. You'll probably have to set up a group policy locally.

In windows do Start-Run and type in

gpedit.msc

Go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates

From there you can go through and lock down whatever you want. It requires time to sort through but there are some online guides that will point you to some common options. Just look for "Group Policy".

Just an FYI from an admin, usually the options are "Not Configured" , "Enabled", "Disabled". DO NOT ASSUME what these functions do. There are lots of bizarre double negative and just plain ambiguous settings. Test to make sure whatever setting you do, does what you think it should. Try it in a VirtualBox first and play around with the settings to get something that fits your needs. Also keep an Administrative account on the computer so you can log in and change settings, or help them install something. As an additional plus, try to install the free version of LogMeIn. I find this tool to be invaluable in troubleshooting my parents computer remotely. It'll save you a road trip to do some basic help desk stuff.

Hope this helps

Forgot there's another way to probably get what you want.

http://jaredheinrichs.com/how-to-turn-a-wi...to-a-kiosk.html

Basically use the Group Policy and make it so they can only launch iexplore.exe or firefox.exe

Add mmc.exe so you can log in and edit the group policy in case you need to do anything.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
Programs do exist to freeze control of the C drive for basic users (i.e. can't install or uninstall anything), but I don't know specifically what those programs are.

Skanix Illusion is one, I've encountered it countless times. Haven't seen any others in use, but I know there's also Windows Steadystate by Microsoft.

But yeah, seconding the suggestion of editing group policies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol