Hacking Preloader vs. BootMii?

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to install some homebrew to: avoid bricking & the possibility to back the system up in case I do brick in the future & the possibility to roll back updates.
I've been suggested Preloader, which looks nice. But BootMii also looks nice. Which do I install? Either? Both?

Bonus question: Any specific IOS I need to install if I want to play newer games but don't want to update from 3.2? (Eg. Kororinpa 2 doesn't boot, shows black screen, I've been told it's missing some IOS)

Thanks!

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you can install BootMii as boot2, it is a much better solution than Preloader. For example, if your System Menu becomes corrupted, as long as you have made a backup of your NAND with BootMii, you will be able to restore it. I was trying something, and just recently had to use it myself. It restored it, and I have not noticed any problems.

If you can't install it as boot2, it wouldn't help if your System Menu became corrupted, but it could probably still help in certain ways.

EDIT: Load the game using Gecko 1.9.0.1. It should tell you the IOS that you need to install, and allow you to install it. If you don't want to install anything, you could try GeckoOS 1.07b, which might work, but might not.

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
use wanins firmwarew updater to go to 4.0 then install bootmii and preloader 2.9, preloader is only for the hacks so if you dont use them you dont need it

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can install both.
bootmii as boot2 for the ultimate brick protection and the cool new software to come
preloader for the system menu hacks and perhaps the autobooting to dol (which i'm using to make my wii boot directly to usb loader)

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I would say install both. Preloader lets you skip disc updates, remove background music, etc. BootMii breaks the boot chain of trust as early as possible, providing the best brick resistance.

For the bonus question, it really depends on the game. Some games might require IOS53, while another one might ask for IOS61. These are the IOSes (sans Korean IOSes) above IOS36.

IOS37
IOS38
IOS50 (used by System Menu 3.4)
IOS51
IOS53
IOS55
IOS56
IOS60 (used by System Menu 4.0)
IOS61

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
With bootmii having only GC controller support, it seems wise to have both. I believe BootMii has autobooting enabled, so have it autoboot the system menu (which would be preloader), and then you'll be safe as well as not have to deal with swapping controllers around.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install BootMii and make a NAND backup first. That way you'll be protected assuming you were able to install it as boot2. Once you've done that go ahead and mess with Preloader and make a new backup when you're done.

As for me, I've got BootMii-boot2 and StartPatch installed since SP doesn't slow the bootime like Preloader and BootMii functions as my brick protection.

KyleCooper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ookay. Meanwhile I put up Gecko 1.9.0.1. and it says that "Marbles!" wants to install IOS55. I read that IOS55 has some anti-piracy features (right?) so I should be getting some sort of hacked IOS55 put up with a wad (right?).

BTW I launched bootmii-check and it shows I can install it to boot2 (I have a pretty old Wii anyway, back from 2007), so do I have to make a folder bootmii/boot2 and put the .elf there, or will I be able to select it from the install application? That wasn't clear from the documentation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1