Hardware [PPOTW #33] Will you be buying a NEW 3DS?

Will you be buying a New 3DS?

• Yes

Votes: 287 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 205 29.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 203 29.2%

• Total voters

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering this is turning the 3DS into what it should have been from the start, I'll consider picking one up, though, standard size, for the lower price and colorful buttons. Unfortunately, I'll probably use it to play the Pokemon remakes, some SSB, then turn it around and end up getting something I want more, never looking back.

19cookies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL... Fanboys...

So it was the only one left right? Even though the system is set to come to the West many months from now (even a year), even if not a single retail machine has been manufactured yet, they already know exactly how much demand there will be and how many consoles there will be... So you got the only one left, even though they can easily make more if they know there is demand for them...

You realize you are the very reason video game companies think we are sheep and get bolder and bolder with their anticonsumer moves right?
*Fangirl. I meant it was the only colour that wasn't sold out, not that I got the last one. I'm crazy about video games, so if Nintendo make a new console I'm going to buy it.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to add you back :) I've got the white (Black??) LL pre-ordered because it was the only one left. I'm definitely getting all XL's :)

Cool I've added you here I just have to add you to my friends list on my 2DS :)

*Fangirl. I meant it was the only colour that wasn't sold out, not that I got the last one. I'm crazy about video games, so if Nintendo make a new console I'm going to buy it.

Pay that critic no attention they don't understand us I'm video game fanatic too you should see my room :)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What anime are you into I can tell we both like Pokemon because we both love Raichu i'm a huge DBZ/hentaifanatic :)
Seems like this conversation should be go into PMs instead of hijacking this thread.

On topic: There seems to be a lot of speculation surrounding how much more powerful the N3DS is. Some people seem convinced that particular processor is twice as powerful as the old one while others are just throwing out other estimates. Has there been any confirmation how much more powerful it really is?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seems like this conversation should be go into PMs instead of hijacking this thread.

On topic: There seems to be a lot of speculation surrounding how much more powerful the N3DS is. Some people seem convinced that particular processor is twice as powerful as the old one while others are just throwing out other estimates. Has there been any confirmation how much more powerful it really is?
The only thing we know is that the RAM was doubled (128>256MB) and VRAM went from 6 to 10MB. Pretty sure anything else is conjecture at this point.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing we know is that the RAM was doubled (128>256MB) and VRAM went from 6 to 10MB. Pretty sure anything else is conjecture at this point.
I have to wonder why it has that much. The jump in VRAM seems logical to me, if they're looking to have games with better graphics. However, 96MB of RAM dedicated to games seemed like plenty to me, but it does interest me. I have to wonder what kind of games they have planned. I also have to wonder how they've improved the battery life while using hardware that's probably going to need more power.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I haven't seen any yet but i'll let you know if I see anything :)

Katana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to wonder why it has that much. The jump in VRAM seems logical to me, if they're looking to have games with better graphics. However, 96MB of RAM dedicated to games seemed like plenty to me, but it does interest me. I have to wonder what kind of games they have planned. I also have to wonder how they've improved the battery life while using hardware that's probably going to need more power.

Maybe they'll use the extra RAM for something OS related.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They may also have more dedicated to the OS now. The browser always suffered from having only 32MB RAM, so chances are that amount is increased even while games are running. At least a portion will probably be used for newer games though, I don't think they'll dedicate the full extra 128MB to the OS.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They may also have more dedicated to the OS now. The browser always suffered from having only 32MB RAM, so chances are that amount is increased even while games are running.
I imagine so, but I was thinking it wouldn't be that much more, I'd imagine majority of the new addition would still go towards games. As for the Web Browser, it seems like they could have fixed that problem by giving a second optional icon on the main games menu, and when launched with that icon it would use the 96MB dedicated to games. You couldn't have multitasked, but you could probably have a decent mobile browser and just use the icon on the bar for the cut down one for multitasking.

Not saying that's a good or bad solution, just more of it seems like an expensive solution to add another 128MB of RAM just to fix some of the problems with the multitasking programs. Either way, time will tell, I'm just curious for now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to say no for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I tried liking the 3DS, twice in fact. I had one on two separate occasions, but for the life of me, I could never quite enjoy it as much as I could have. If those past two times didn't do it for me, I doubt a third time will be the charm Doesn't help that I can't see 3D due to a visual defect. 2DS is out because it's too small and the screen size being the way it is gives me eye strain (I don't like the 2DS design at all). No clam shell, super cramped buttons, small screen, even less desirable for me. That's why I'm convinced nothing will ever get me to like the 3DS again or give it another chance.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have one 3DS and two 3DS XL, why the hell I need another? The next Nintendo handheld will probably be backwards compatible anyways so I'll just wait for that.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Almost certainly yes. I like the new features, etc, and I never got to play Xenoblade, so this would be a good opportunity to try it out.

The only thing that kind of upsets me about this is having to say goodbye to my beloved Zelda edition XL. I'm really hoping that the special Smash-themed New XL that Japan is getting hits Stateside whenever we get it.

Edit: I'll almost certainly be keeping my Zelda XL for collector's purposes, though (huge Zelda fan), as opposed to selling it like my original 3DS and blue XL.

adragon123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope. i'm gonna wait for the next handheld but if the next handheld cant run "new" 3ds exclusives then i might buy one, play exclusives i want, and then sell it and keep the next handheld

D

Deleted User

I buy it only if nintendo going to made mario galaxy port or super mario 3d world for this new 3ds.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Undecided at this point. It's likely going to be around 2 years (maybe more, maybe less) for when the next-gen handheld comes out that'll do everything the n3DS does, and the only "exclusive" announced so far for it is a port of a game I already own.

I thought I read somewhere that the n3DS's internet browser can now playback video (h.264?), so that may be a reason for upping the RAM, as the OS side only had 32MB to work with. I'd imagine though that the increase wouldn't only benefit the OS side, seeing as the VRAM also increased, which is more for games at this point.

loco365

Trophies
XP
the colorful AXBY on the 3DS is so damn ugly

I'd totally take a Super Famicom-inspired gamepad, tbqh.

I'm probably going to make the switch, and do a system transfer from my 2-months-after-launch Aqua Blue 3DS. However, I'm not sure which I want. I can opt for the larger screens with the XL model, or I can get the interchangeable plates on the regular-sized one.

avran89

ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a bit annoying, i just bought a special edition XL like 2 months ago, but I'll still buy it around launch just for Xenoblade alone. I'll likely just buy the new system, transfer, and then trade it for cash and/or games

On another note, I've been hearing mumbling about "how can they make a new system after X amount of years?", Nintendo long been doing that since the GBA. The GBA was 2 years old when the GBA SP came out. Two years later the DS came out, then the DS lite, DSi, etc. It's a well practiced tradition with electronic companies to constantly update their products. Take a look at Apple and their constant reversions of the products.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...