Hardware Possible uses of the infrared port ?

c_house

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably used for stuff like the GBC's IR port was for, trading info between games like hi-scores in Pokemon Pinball. Or maybe something really awesome I can't think of right now...

D

Deleted_171835

chartube12 said:
Maybe the IR port is used for friendcode trading?
That would be stupid.
It's much easier to simply input the friend-code instead of adding it via IR or better yet, remove friend-codes and bring gamer-tags.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
chartube12 said:
That would be stupid.
It's much easier to simply input the friend-code instead of adding it via IR or better yet, remove friend-codes and bring gamer-tags.

1. I don't see nintendo ever dropping the friends codes.

2. Not much easier if you and the other person own alot of the same games. I can see used for sharing mulitple friendcodes with another person at the same time.

D

Deleted_171835

chartube12 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
chartube12 said:
That would be stupid.
1. I don't see nintendo ever dropping the friends codes.
2. Not much easier if you and the other person own alot of the same games. I can see used for sharing mulitple friendcodes with another person at the same time.
1. Why not?
2. That would be a lame gimmick. What if you want to trade friend-codes online? You can't use IR for that. That's a stupid idea. You might as well use local wireless instead of IR if you're going to trade friend-codes. After all, you would be able to move farther away from the person than with the distance constraints of IR.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My guess would be for letting the 3DS talk to some new range of gadgets/gizmos/toys Nintendo are planning on coming out with. Like that thing tamagotchi/pedometer style thing that came with one of the recent releases of Pokemon, or a new R.O.B. robot.

They seem to be shouting about GB/GBA support in the virtual console thing, so maybe they are planning on using the infrared for multiplayer stuff with those games. They could do it over the wifi, but doing it over IR will bring back some of that old experience of having to sit next to the person you're playing with. It might also be easier creating the link for it over the IR, rather than putting something together to do it over the wifi connection.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Communicating faster, and:

POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Bah use your Ds as a Wii remote
tongue.gif

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought... Maybe a stupid one since I don't know the specifics of this IR port.. But who remembers e-cards? Maybe something along the lines of scanning codes to unlock things.. But again since I don't know the specs this cuold be the dumbest thing I've ever said.

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
IR doesn't work like that, but you're not dumb for not knowing that.
So are you saying you don't scan barcodes with ir scanners? I said very specifically I wasn't sure what wasa on the 3ds and tbh I didn't care enough to look into it.. If it was a simple port obviously it'd have no scanning capibility.. But thanks for acting so high and mighty. It's really appreciated in forums.

Edit: If you weren't being sarcastic then sorry for reading too much into it.. Being a lurker I tend to read a lot of sarcasm and I guess I'm a bit used to it.

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but I read so much sarcasm and such I guess I've jsut come to expect that rather than just straight forward talking in forums..

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing it is for future games. Games like Pokemon B/W. That way they don't have to put IR sensor into the cartridge anymore. I can't think of something that is useful for 3DS Firmware when using IR.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I am dark link

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dosnt the new 3ds 2nd slider addon use infared
it could be used for things like guitar hero and other addons but alod 3rd party people could use it to make ovet variations of the 2nd slider and things along those lines
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER