PS1/2 Possible to use FMCB to load apps from HDD?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In FMCB I know it's possible to add custom menu items for apps stored on memory card or USB storage and it works.

But I also want to add apps which are on the internal HDD (HDD0:/_SYSCONF/APPS/) , but I cannot get it to list. I can add them in the OSDSYS options, but I won't show up, because at boot-up FMCB doesn't spin-up the internal HDD.

I already tried to disable the "fastboot" option without result.

And if I set the option "skip HDD update check" to "off", it will spin-up the HDD at boot but load the HDD-OSD without the custom menu...

How can I list apps stored on the internal HDD in the custom OSDSYS menu?

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In FMCB I know it's possible to add custom menu items for apps stored on memory card or USB storage and it works.

But I also want to add apps which are on the internal HDD (HDD0:/_SYSCONF/APPS/) , but I cannot get it to list. I can add them in the OSDSYS options, but I won't show up, because at boot-up FMCB doesn't spin-up the internal HDD.

I already tried to disable the "fastboot" option without result.

And if I set the option "skip HDD update check" to "off", it will spin-up the HDD at boot but load the HDD-OSD without the custom menu...

How can I list apps stored on the internal HDD in the custom OSDSYS menu?
Yes. Its possible. :D

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As i recall, FMCB is started up by the Memory Card which prevents some HDD content to work properly. I think thats why people invented FHDB which basically starts from the HDD and should work better with HDD content. I can recommend this website for FMCB/FHDB content: ps2-home

Reactions: SylverReZ

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
On PSX-Place they said FMCB cannot load HDD apps, so I gave it up. I know FHDB can do it, but it's not compatible with a Modbo 5.0 chip. Manually disable the chip every boot isn't convenient.

PS2-Home cannot be used here, it always give a "Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable".

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On PSX-Place they said FMCB cannot load HDD apps, so I gave it up. I know FHDB can do it, but it's not compatible with a Modbo 5.0 chip. Manually disable the chip every boot isn't convenient.

PS2-Home cannot be used here, it always give a "Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable".
Weirdly, PS2-Home was working yesterday when i was writing my comment. After refreshing the page, i got the same error. Might be a server issue.

Anyways, why the use of a Modchip? Only asking because i mainly avoid modchips and i would like to know the use for it. I am not sure, but i think as of today, modchips have no advantage against a Softmod for the PS2, at least not what i mainly know of...

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The modchip is to play backup/out-of-region discs, both PS1 and PS2 games. With a softmod PS1 games can only be played with emulation (and one of the games I play, Tekken 3, isn't compatible) and not the native PS1 mode.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The modchip is to play backup/out-of-region discs, both PS1 and PS2 games. With a softmod PS1 games can only be played with emulation (and one of the games I play, Tekken 3, isn't compatible) and not the native PS1 mode.
Fair point. I mean, there are ways of playing them without a modchip if i read correctly, like tonyhax or disc swap. but at that point i think its way easier to keep using the modchip. Maybe MechaPWN is also a way, but its also complex and for more-newer models.

And if the HDD somehow spins at boot, the last possibility i can think of is setting up E1 launch keys. For example you set up the "start" button to any .elf file on the hdd, then press start at boot to launch any .elf file you set up (hopefully). I don't know about the "HDD-OSD" and "custom menu" part, but if the "skip HDD update check" causes more problems, i think there's no other way...

edit: maybe this link helps?

Last edited by JackTheFroster,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.