Hacking Possible SDXC support?

Diabolos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Oh, and also, I forgot to mention that the R4i SDXC card that I got, I got it together with a DSi XL that I bought in a shop in Thailand. I forgot where, though... Eh-heh. :P
Anyways, by SDXC, I meant R4i SDXC (just in case).
:blink:
..... What?

the thread is about SDXC as in SD cards not R4 cartridges

R4i SDXC is just the name of the cloned cartridge
.... Whoops-e-daisy! Sorry.
SDXC is useless and overpriced at the moment.
No one need anywhere near more than 32GB SD card for the Wii and Hard Drives are way better for playing backups.

Unless your wanting to use one for GC games
GC Games can't use the SD card though...

You have not heard of Dios Mios Lite have you?
Who are you talking to? Because IF you are talking to me, then... NEVER!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Oops, I didn't know this thread existed when I started this other one
http://gbatemp.net/t...98#entry4265998
to try to get someone to test a card on a Wii.

After [member='Hunter X'] apparently did the test with a borrowed SDXC card (Just tested on the system menu)...
no werks.
Wii rejected.
64GB Sandisk. Tested SD menu. Don't have a gecko (new wii, no gc ports). Returned card after conducting test.
...[member='tueidj'] was nice enough to give a technical explanation of why the system menu in particular was not compatible.

As for Wii homebrew, a lot of apps are made with the same open sourced libraries so it would depend on how well programmed and how compatible those libraries really are.
DML, on the other hand (which is why people are most interested I think.) to my knowledge uses it's own SDHC code (with it's own compatability issues) so that could be yet another story and is really yet untested.

greennw308

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops, I didn't know this thread existed when I started this other one
http://gbatemp.net/t...98#entry4265998
to try to get someone to test a card on a Wii.

After [member='Hunter X'] apparently did the test with a borrowed SDXC card (Just tested on the system menu)...
no werks.
Wii rejected.
64GB Sandisk. Tested SD menu. Don't have a gecko (new wii, no gc ports). Returned card after conducting test.
...[member='tueidj'] was nice enough to give a technical explanation of why the system menu in particular was not compatible.

As for Wii homebrew, a lot of apps are made with the same open sourced libraries so it would depend on how well programmed and how compatible those libraries really are.
DML, on the other hand (which is why people are most interested I think.) to my knowledge uses it's own SDHC code (with it's own compatability issues) so that could be yet another story and is really yet untested.

I think someone already test sdxc card his wii. he work on sdxc card start last May 2012. I send him indox at youtube and he said "I am alone work on sdxc card his wii and he got his wii read sdxc card. he is happy!" also he said "its not fake sdxc card that's REAL sdxc card. If everyone doesn't believe my video for sdxc card in his wii then they never try test on sdxc in them wii."

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't SDXC the same as SDHC?? well it requires the same hardware or XC is backwards compatible when it comes to hardware; I believe I've read this a year ago when XC wasn't even out so I believe the Wii will support it :)

Hunter X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youtube is actually the last place i'd use to backup my arguments. There's tons of garbage on there that somehow gets passed off as fact.

Keith_Loving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, good luck 'modding' an SDXC card.

But I have to ask you, what is your overall point or goal to this thread? It is cool for informational purposes but nothing else will come out of it. Really, dont expect to see SDXC working natively in a wii ever (this comment will probably cause people to just do so).

My point of writing this thread if pretty simple. I searched for threads like this and in each one I could find people pretty much say it's impossible because of hardware and then the threads die. If enough people believe that it's impossible than no one will even take a look at it, but if people were aware that it's an identical issue to when people modded SD to support SDHC than maybe someone will take a closer look.

I love your ambition, which is 1,000x more than most anyone else that visits this site, but you seem to be one of the few that care enough about it, so probably the only way that it will happen is if your ambitions and curiosity causes you to do it yourself.

But hey man, good luck. And if you ever do develop anything then I will purchase an SDXC card to beta test for you.

I did at one time study hardware and software. I was certified in A+, Net+, and Windows 2000+ back in 2001. I dabbled in ASM, but I couldn't find any reliable courses. I also dabbled in C, C++, C#, Visual Basic, and the .NET framework. Along with a bit of HTML, PHP, and CSS. When I say "dabble" I mean enough to gain a basic understanding and write simple programs, but not enough to write anything particularly useful. Currently however I am going to college to become a Genetic Engineer and the amount of effort it takes to maintain a 4.0 GPA limits the amount of time I have to learn other subjects. If, however, there was some kind of tutorial set to learn how to mod the Wii I'd study it on my free time and apply the knowledge.

But you have to know that with this site (or really any forum in general), just because you have a good idea is not enough to cause the great devs of this community to get working. If you truly want to see it then you pretty much have to put your effort into it yourself.

Sorry, I wish I know coding better otherwise I'd try putting in some effort myself.

That is true, but at some point (eventually) the need for SDXC support will become apparant. (Unless of course the Wii-U turns out to be so ridiculously easy to mod that everyone abandons to Wii entirely.lol)

basically it all comes down to testing if the wii sd reader can talk to the card
afaict that should work in general

Good point. I read that some devices that are designed to read SDHC can already read SDXC without any changes to firmware, and those that can't should at least be able to format an SDXC card as SDHC.

all the "moding" needed to test this is mkdosfs (or similar)

if that works homebrew can add support for "unmoded" cards if and when a exfat lib is written

What would you suggest? I will be buying an SDXC card around March and at that time I would be more than happy to run some tests of my own and post results.

Did you buy the SDXC card back in March and can you let us know the results?

Thanks, KL

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, that video looks a little more convincing but you still never know what to believe when on YouTube.

Just to add some more evidence that it DOES work, at least for homebrew, I'll leave this quoted post here

Hi
Is there anyway of using a 64gb sd card on my wii,i would like to store games on it and then play through the homebrew channel using a usb loader...
The Wii only works with 2GB SD Cards. I'd get an External HDD if I were you. They're better suited for USB Loaders.
Actually, you MIGHT be able to use your 64gb card for some things. If it works it will just take some preparation.
FIRST, SD cards that are 64gb and up will probably use an exFAT file system where the Wii can only read FAT32 so you will have to reformat it with something like this http://www.ridgecrop...k/guiformat.exe since Windows won't format FAT32 for anything over 32gb by itself.

They SD menu on the Wii System Menu might not see the card very well (System Menu v4.0 and up say their limit is 32gb) but some homebrew should be able to work well with it. Throw put a couple of apps on it and test it with the Homebrew Channel just to be sure. Feel free to report back any problems, too.

Wow ,it actually worked,in fact it works 100% so far , my wii now recognizes my 64gb sd card.
Configurable usb loader,wii2600,wii64 and fceugx emulators all load and work without a problem from the Homebrew channel.

I have tried it on 2 different wii's,one is v4.3 and the other is v3.3 ,both work.

I will have to get my kids to road test it now to make sure everything runs smoothly.....thanks for this.
Although Swiss and DML are still untested since they don't necessarily share the libraries that other homebrew apps do, it looks like most homebrew that can accept SDHC cards can ALSO accept SDXC cards.

Reactions: 1 person

jhdballz100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that video looks a little more convincing but you still never know what to believe when on YouTube.

Just to add some more evidence that it DOES work, at least for homebrew, I'll leave this quoted post here

Hi
Is there anyway of using a 64gb sd card on my wii,i would like to store games on it and then play through the homebrew channel using a usb loader...
The Wii only works with 2GB SD Cards. I'd get an External HDD if I were you. They're better suited for USB Loaders.
Actually, you MIGHT be able to use your 64gb card for some things. If it works it will just take some preparation.
FIRST, SD cards that are 64gb and up will probably use an exFAT file system where the Wii can only read FAT32 so you will have to reformat it with something like this http://www.ridgecrop...k/guiformat.exe since Windows won't format FAT32 for anything over 32gb by itself.

They SD menu on the Wii System Menu might not see the card very well (System Menu v4.0 and up say their limit is 32gb) but some homebrew should be able to work well with it. Throw put a couple of apps on it and test it with the Homebrew Channel just to be sure. Feel free to report back any problems, too.

Wow ,it actually worked,in fact it works 100% so far , my wii now recognizes my 64gb sd card.
Configurable usb loader,wii2600,wii64 and fceugx emulators all load and work without a problem from the Homebrew channel.

I have tried it on 2 different wii's,one is v4.3 and the other is v3.3 ,both work.

I will have to get my kids to road test it now to make sure everything runs smoothly.....thanks for this.
Although Swiss and DML are still untested since they don't necessarily share the libraries that other homebrew apps do, it looks like most homebrew that can accept SDHC cards can ALSO accept SDXC cards.

Congratulation Maxternal! I'm impressive that you discover to more evidence about wii accepts SDXC Card. You got figure out on someone wii approved a SDXC Card =). I'm first to discover my wii approved my SDXC Card reads and writes last May 18, 2012.

pangasinan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have uploaded a vid to youtube showing how the wii works using a cheap 64gb sdxc card.
These cards can be bought on ebay for under $40 shipped.

I have loaded about 54 wii games on the card and endless emu games.

This vid shows different emulators being used and how they play.

There is no slowdown or any effect using a sdxc card.
I cant see any difference playwise between the 64gb Topram SDXC card and my 750gb Seagate portable hd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9Wc5Y2voY

jhdballz100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have uploaded a vid to youtube showing how the wii works using a cheap 64gb sdxc card.

I cant see any difference playwise between the 64gb Topram SDXC card and my 750gb Seagate portable hd.

That's good I see your video has proof with your sdxc card can read your wii . :)

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you buy the SDXC card back in March and can you let us know the results?

Thanks, KL

Unfortunately a great deal of unexpected expenses came up with house repairs (1880's Victorian House with many problems), and then I got bogged down with the most grueling college semester of my life (17 credit hours: Chemistry I, Chem Recitation I, Physics I, History of Art, Trig, Trio - all at the same time.). So I haven't even had time to play games let alone look into this as I had wanted to, but I took a lighter load next semester (only 10 credit hours: Chem II, Chem II Recitation, and Physics II) so I will have more time to seriously work on my Wii and seeing what can be done with it. This time, even with work loads as they are, I am definitely going to devote some time and money into it!

That is amazing news! I knew there wasn't a physical reason why it shouldn't work! What brand did you use? Did you have to format it to FAT32 to get it to work? Have you tried anything higher than 64 GB SDXC yet? If no one has tried anything higher yet, I want to get this 128 GB SDXC card just to see if it will work. Prices have come down in the past year, and the one I am looking at has very good reviews. If it doesn't work I can always return it.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its great that this works, its just a shame SDXC cards are still so expensive. Ah well, in 5 years when my external hard drive starts dying, maybe I'll look at a large SDXC card (1 or 2 TB), see if they've gone down in price, I bet they will have. Plus the best part of this, is you could have all your games, homebrew, etc. right in your little sd card that hides away right inside the wii. You could have a beast of a wii without anything curious looking coming out the back and resting on the side of the wii. would truly be beautiful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgcKqXw_aE