Homebrew Possibility Of N3DS games on O3DS?

kje123

this title is false
OP
Trophies
Website
kje123.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to optimization on 3DS, but is there ever gonna be a possibility of N3DS-only games on O3DS? Perhaps IF (and I mean IF) kernel access becomes possible on Ninjhax 2.1-onwards, would we be able to bypass the "Check" that the 3DS uses to figure out what system it is, and maybe optimize games to run on it? Again, this is just speculation. I'm not saying someone should make it (ALTHOUGH IT WOULD BE REAL COOL HINT HINT), I'm just merely asking if it even IS possible.

tbh I'm just salty I can't play TBoI:Rebirth on the go (:

Reactions: Margen67

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll just quote myself from the other Smealum thread:

It'd probably act like the retail cart, giving you an error message that it's only compatible with New 3DS. I imagine if you tried to launch it directly using RegionFive/DevMenu/whatever that bypasses the Home Menu, it'd probably just black screen or crash.

Summary: If you could bypass the N3DS checks, it'd probably just crash. If it actually did run, the performance would be abysmal.

Reactions: Margen67

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
New 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 4x @ 268MHz (one reserved for OS)
- 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor (vector processors, like SPEs in PS3)
- 256MB FCRAM
- 10MB VRAM
- Dedicated Hardware Video Decoder
- Seemingly no change to the GPU, clock rate and all

Original 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 2x @ 268MHz (one reseved for OS)
- 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor
- 128MB FCRAM
- 6MB VRAM
- PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

So unless someone finds a reality-altering hack that can magically turn your 3DS's dual core processor into a quad core and double the amount of RAM, there is absolutely zero chances of it happening, not even if a way to overclock the o3DS was found.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Asking for this is a pretty long shot. For one here's the breakdown. I doubt the CPU can handle the workload on the O3DS

New 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 4x @ 268MHz (one reserved for OS)
- 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor (vector processors, like SPEs in PS3)
- 256MB FCRAM
- 10MB VRAM
- Dedicated Hardware Video Decoder
- Seemingly no change to the GPU, clock rate and all

For comparison, the old 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 2x @ 268MHz (one reseved for OS)
- 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor
- 128MB FCRAM
- 6MB VRAM
- PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

Edit : Ric beat me to it lol

Reactions: Margen67 and ric.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It can also clock up to 804Mhz, so the O3DS would need a *massive* overclock to even come close.
As someone who had a PSP Phat overlocked for long term gaming, I can tell you, that

1. Your 3DS lifespan will drop down drastically.
2. Your 3DS battery life drain if you thought it was worse? Try 1.5hrs or 2hrs flat.
3. Possible overheat with the workload. It doesn't seem that obvious, but it's no different from a smartphone when you play any graphics hungry game longer than 5mins

Reactions: daxtsu

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nint could've done better with the specs, seeing ps vita it has a powerful cpu. Neverthless the new 3ds isnt that bad.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Nint could've done better with the specs, seeing ps vita it has a powerful cpu. Neverthless the new 3ds isnt that bad.
Nintendo has always been about less powerful consoles. All of their handhelds have always been severely underpowered compared to their competition, so it really isn't a surprise that the 3DS performs worse than the Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: