Hacking Port Sniffing the 3DS (I have one)

Habstinat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Somehow I managed to land my hands on a 3DS without knowing a word of Japanese. But anyways, I've been looking into the development scene on it and was extremely surprised nobody had port sniffed the system yet. I'd like to do it... But unfortunately I don't have a darn clue on how to connect to WiFi with this thing
frown.gif

Can somebody who knows Japanese, or at least knows their way around the menus, point me in the right direction on how to connect to WiFi? Or has anyone made a video translating the menu yet? Kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaFExyUFZIQ ?

I already have Ettercap and Wireshark installed and working on my Debian machine. Of course I'll post my results when I'm done here for the benefit of the community.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Also, are there any other popular 3DS development sites/forums besides this one? 'Twas the only one I could find in my (short) search. I find them to be an interesting read.

I could also do anything that doesn't involve taking apart the device for y'alls if you're just curious about certain things.

silentdoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does the term "Port Sniffing" sound just, so, so wrong? Anyways, I think your best option would to be to try to obtain a translated manual of the 3DS, this should contain all of the steps you need for wifi connectivity. Good luck doing whatever it is you're trying to do

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
I am just curious
what will this accomplishThis is one of those "If you have to ask, just step back and wait until the results are made" situations.

QUOTE(Joe88 @ Mar 8 2011, 10:33 PM) pretty sure the 3DS cannot be used as a port sniffer
That's not what he wants, he wants to sniff the traffic. However he doesn't read Japanese do he can't get it connected to his wireless network in the first place.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you could post screenshots or video of the menus, me or someone else could tell you what they say.
インターネット is the word for Internet.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here's a link to the Japanese user manual for the 3DS, and it looks like wi-fi information starts on page 79/80: http://www.aeato.com/users-manual/?dl_id=3204

Looking in there it appears you go into the wrench icon, and then look for another icon with a globe and a wrench in it. From there, the manual should help you through it and some of the terms are listed in english so it should be easy to tell if you're in the right area.

Google translate is your friend with that manual!
smile.gif

The comments on what port sniffing is makes me laugh. And really what you're looking to do is packet capturing. Which would be interesting on many levels. I'm wondering if the communication between the 3DS and Nintendo's servers is fully encrypted or only partially. I'm sure this will be tried by the hacking community to try and figure out how they're finding users that use flash carts in the 3DS...

Way to storm the trail early!

EDIT:

I found some additional information at the Nintendo Japan site too, here's some links that may be helpful:

Smaller guide, appears to have wifi config info in it
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/download/3ds...antan_guide.pdf

Page for all the manuals from Nintendo on the 3DS
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/support/index.html#manual

Habstinat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaTaX said:
Well here's a link to the Japanese user manual for the 3DS, and it looks like wi-fi information starts on page 79/80: http://www.aeato.com/users-manual/?dl_id=3204

Looking in there it appears you go into the wrench icon, and then look for another icon with a globe and a wrench in it. From there, the manual should help you through it and some of the terms are listed in english so it should be easy to tell if you're in the right area.

Google translate is your friend with that manual!
smile.gif

The comments on what port sniffing is makes me laugh. And really what you're looking to do is packet capturing. Which would be interesting on many levels. I'm wondering if the communication between the 3DS and Nintendo's servers is fully encrypted or only partially. I'm sure this will be tried by the hacking community to try and figure out how they're finding users that use flash carts in the 3DS...

Way to storm the trail early!

EDIT:

I found some additional information at the Nintendo Japan site too, here's some links that may be helpful:

Smaller guide, appears to have wifi config info in it
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/download/3ds...antan_guide.pdf

Page for all the manuals from Nintendo on the 3DS
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/support/index.html#manual

Thanks a lot, you rock. I learned it as port sniffing, and the term sounds funnier than packet capturing, so I think I'll keep calling it that XD.

Google Translate doesn't seem to very helpful with these types of things... For example, here's a portion of the manual, very roughly translated by our friends at Google:

"DS software settings for" When set, or the DS because it was probable with stoneware stoneware If you see an error code as when they are playing peek-a soft Hyouji "DS software settings for "I sure Ifai Fu Wa possibility has not been configured correctly," Nintendo Wi-Fi Konekushonmasu. DS Jitai guide cane table should hail it should come with a soft "Nde error code indicated Please check how I read the nuclear deal. Oh its probable DSi not to peek Hyouji stoneware stoneware've had Hontai If you see an error code when you are playing soft and 3DS sure because I can not Hontai stoneware Isetsu to set Internet settings are correct body may. Internet Body in 3DS set "test connections" message as the line drawing of the surface hail Jishita Oko (p. 88) What, Oh Please respond Erame want displayed on the screen.

So far, here is what I've gathered (remember to turn your head sideways before watching the video) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsVSveBmdI

I may have connected already? The network I want to connect to is Home AP. The multitude of questions the box man asks you at the beginning is throwing me off, I think.

Can any Japanese speaking people here translate that, or at least just the bits needed to connect?

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you are all set up.
The blue button on the bottom screen indicates your "home ap" network.

Because that's just the setup area, its not going to connect to anything from within there.
You will need to go into a game or try to download a firmware update or something in order for it to send/receive any data over the network.

During your setup, it did run some tests, but I'm not sure if that involved sending any data through the internet, or if it was just connecting with the router.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Habstinat said:
I learned it as port sniffing, and the term sounds funnier than packet capturing, so I think I'll keep calling it that XD.
You can call it packet sniffing and still be using the correct term.

LordSturm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean packet sniffing, port scan involves probing a machine for open ports, which has nothing to do with intercepting traffic.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Rydian said:
He didn't say "port scan".
+ he mentioned ethercap, which allows you to look at packets.
So you should have understood him fine.

I was thinking the same though, until I got that far into the post.
"What does he want to look at the ports for?"
"Oh, he means packets."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol