Hardware Poll: What do you think of the Switch?

What do you think of the Switch?

• Looks great! I'm definitely interested

Votes: 762 55.8%
  • Intriguing, but I'll wait to know more before I make up my mind

Votes: 467 34.2%
  • Not really interested, I don't see the appeal

Votes: 64 4.7%
  • WTF Nintendo? what is this crap

Votes: 73 5.3%

• Total voters

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's just a gamepad tablet that plays nintendo brand games, The only thing I don't like is,-snip-.

Screen too small? You want the handheld portion to be even bigger? It's not going to fit in most pockets as it is man. We don't have any specs yet, so you can't complain about power yet. That's literally not possible as long as we don't have info. Game pricing is also not a real complaint. This is a dedicated gaming console, not an iPhone. There will be plenty of $5 shovelware on the eshop if that's your thing though. Not new tech? Sure, there are ways to have wireless controllers and nearly all gaming systems can be attached to a TV in some way, but are you sure that there's a dedicated gaming home console out there that can be taken on the road simply by unplugging it? I've not heard of that Tbh. Everything is pretty breakable if not used properly. Vetoed. As for the docking station scratching the screen, well your fingernails will be able to do that too, I suggest not trying to force it in backwards or something to prevent scratches. Proper use will prevent damage every time. Autostereoscopic is not the gimmick here, if you want that get a 3ds. It eats up power like mad, people would complain about it without fail. "looks too plain"? I'm not even sure where to go there. And that brings us to your last point of "will die as fast as wiiu". How do you know? You can't possibly make that prediction with our current info. None of your complaints have any traction imo.

Ps: not singling you out here, you just happened to put all of the common utterly ridiculous complaints in one spot. This reply goes out to everyone who wants to bash the system without any information.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Don't get this mindset, especially since it would be more optional this time around. Basically saying, less features are better. Pretty silly.
It's like this. When a new feature is introduced, developers feel they need to force it everywhere. Not just where it would enhance a game or create new gameplay, but absolutely everywhere, sometimes even entirely replacing much better previously existing things with the new feature just because it's there. New features have created great games and entire new genres, but they have also made many a game worse.

As a result, people start preemptively hating new features.

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like the concept of the Switch being a hybrid console, but yet I will watch from a distance until I make up my mind about buying one. If Nintendo get's their game together, the Switch can be a great success. Breaking past boundaries and staples seems to be a running theme with the Switch and I like it that the console is getting rid of certain borders. But sleek design and clever used technology are not the only things needed on the way to success. Looking at the list of developers that support the console is a truly promising sight. But only if Nintendo manages to truly forge strong relationships with these developers the Switch will be able to rise and shine. If Big N decides to turn their backs on the third party support like they did most of the time in the past, then they can switch things around all they want, it's game over then. With only Nintendo developed games the switch will be nothing more than an upgraded Wii U

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screen too small? You want the handheld portion to be even bigger? It's not going to fit in most pockets as it is man. We don't have any specs yet, so you can't complain about power yet. That's literally not possible as long as we don't have info. Game pricing is also not a real complaint. This is a dedicated gaming console, not an iPhone. There will be plenty of $5 shovelware on the eshop if that's your thing though. Not new tech? Sure, there are ways to have wireless controllers and nearly all gaming systems can be attached to a TV in some way, but are you sure that there's a dedicated gaming home console out there that can be taken on the road simply by unplugging it? I've not heard of that Tbh. Everything is pretty breakable if not used properly. Vetoed. As for the docking station scratching the screen, well your fingernails will be able to do that too, I suggest not trying to force it in backwards or something to prevent scratches. Proper use will prevent damage every time. Autostereoscopic is not the gimmick here, if you want that get a 3ds. It eats up power like mad, people would complain about it without fail. "looks too plain"? I'm not even sure where to go there. And that brings us to your last point of "will die as fast as wiiu". How do you know? You can't possibly make that prediction with our current info. None of your complaints have any traction imo.

Ps: not singling you out here, you just happened to put all of the common utterly ridiculous complaints in one spot. This reply goes out to everyone who wants to bash the system without any information.

My Friend I was the one who knew that this was a Tablet when people were figuring out what it was ( look at my past posts) , and that the Wii U was already dead.
and as for power, What Tablet (besides the Razer Edge Pro) you know that can out perform a Next Gen Home Console or PC, Not a Tegra in anyform X1 or X2.
As for Information, It's being a Nintendo Fan for 35 years. I'm Not Bashing the System, Just Sick of Nintendo's Ideas.
It's something people are already doing with their android devices, looking at the games shots it's nothing pretty.

I'm sorry I had to tell you. My bad for Putting it out there, I'm just a Fed UP Nintendo Fan.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
News straight from the horse's mouth - the dock only charges the system and transfers the image to the TV, it doesn't do anything beyond that - shame. The Switch also features Amiibo support which was not presented in the video.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/10/...nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

I told you yesterday... There is no magick in the hardware business, transistors don't come out of thin air. Kids were really optimistic about it having more power on the dock but that simply isn't feasible, at least not economically.

This is just like the Gamecube->Wii transistion. It will be about 2 times more powerful than the Wii U overall when docked, and will have half the clocks when in portable form, essentially making it a portable Wii U. When docked, it will be around 1/3 to 1/2 of Xbox One performance level, mainly due to the slow and limited RAM. A gpu having less teraflops is one thing, that same gpu having much less input/output due to slow ram is another thing entirely. Imagine a 1080 gpu with DDR3 ram, and you can get the picture.

The only saving grace it could have, if the rumours are true and it features 4gigabytes of ram, is for its OS to be lightweight enough so enough RAM is available for games. Without enough RAM, AAA ports won't be easy to make and the thing will end up like the Wii U. As long as the RAM is sufficient, it could get downgraded AAA ports.

Last edited by TemplarGR,

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to buy it. I'll probably wait a little while to see how well it runs without the television. I'd love to know the battery life as well, and just how much of an improvement there is between the 3ds to the switch. The games I'm sure will be good they always are, though I'm pretty certain it could play the n64 or ps1 games with it being so up to date.

I Would complain that the switch would feel way to big, but really since it seperates into 3 pieces you don't need them all connected to go into one pocket
So I can have cleanex, my wallet, 3ds, and breath mints in my pockets and be able to slip the other one in as well. :D Works great for women and their purses too.

With how it's made though. Would their be a protector for the screen in case it got dropped or scratched Because as I'd love to buy one, but that would suck. Maybe I should make a start up company and make them haha! :3

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Friend I was the one who knew that this was a Tablet when people were figuring out what it was ( look at my past posts) , and that the Wii U was already dead.
and as for power, What Tablet (besides the Razer Edge Pro) you know that can out perform a Next Gen Home Console or PC, Not a Tegra in anyform X1 or X2.
As for Information, It's being a Nintendo Fan for 35 years. I'm Not Bashing the System, Just Sick of Nintendo's Ideas.
It's something people are already doing with their android devices, looking at the games shots it's nothing pretty.

I'm sorry I had to tell you. My bad for Putting it out there, I'm just a Fed UP Nintendo Fan.
of course the wiiu is dead. has been. nobody wanted to support it. i never argued with you there, and doing so would be stupid. the fact that it's a tablet shouldn't color your opinion of what it could be. you shouldn't be looking at this from the perspective of an ipad for example. that's not what this is. the ipad isn't designed to be a dedicated gaming device, the switch on the other hand is. that's all it is. you're not going to use it to play angry birds, you're not going to get on twitter with it(hopefully -_-), and you're certainly not going to be making any calls. i'm almost 100% certain it'll be able to hang with the xbone, if not match it blow for blow. those shots of skyrim are pretty promising imo, and mariokart always looks beautiful even if it doesn't push the system to the limit. what's happened here is that you've gotten, as you put it, fed up with nintendo's ideas and are absolutely refusing to believe that this could be a good system. that's what it seems like from my perspective. it'd be best if you kept an open mind until we have more information is what i'm getting at. putting your complaints out there is a good thing. complaints need to be heard, it's what drives the business. my problem is that your complaints have little to nothing to do with the system itself, and the ones that do are absolute nonsense.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest hate - the name.

Me: "I was up last night playing Mario Galaxy 3 on the Switch."
Co-Worker: *knows nothing about games* "On WHAT?"
Me: "Oh its this new thing from Nintendo..." *15 minute explain*
You would have to explain regardless of the name.
That's not my reasoning behind rejecting extra features, though. My reasoning is that every device is designed for a different purpose, and consoles are designed for gaming. Any extra layers of obfuscation between you and the game are both unnecessary and unwelcome for most people. You also diminish third-party support when you try to get developers to code for these extra features and they don't have to on other consoles or PC. Who wants to play Dark Souls on a touchscreen?
Touchscreens and motion controls can also be used for gaming, so I'm not seeing your point, at all. Not to mention, if that was even true, we wouldn't have streaming apps and browsers on consoles. People wouldn't have been complaining for years that Nintendo consoles didn't play DVDs or Blurays. It good thing devs doesn't have to support even single feature and for every single game. Probably people who find going through menus and switching (:P) items/weapons would be faster with a touchscreen.

I just want to play good games with buttons, triggers and thumb sticks. The kind of games I enjoy playing do not benefit from these comedy, novelty party game controls.
Then just don't buy the games that rely heavily on "comedy, novelty party game controls."
It's like this. When a new feature is introduced, developers feel they need to force it everywhere. Not just where it would enhance a game or create new gameplay, but absolutely everywhere, sometimes even entirely replacing much better previously existing things with the new feature just because it's there. New features have created great games and entire new genres, but they have also made many a game worse.

As a result, people start preemptively hating new features.
Except the fact that these features were already there and just being carried over. So, they have even less to complain about and even then, if we base things off preemptively hating new features, we wouldn't advance.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Touchscreens and motion controls can also be used for gaming, so I'm not seeing your point, at all.
You make my point for me right here. "Can also be." You can't use a touchscreen and a traditional controller at the same time. The latter is 100% necessary to interact with games that have depth to them, the former is not. Nor were touchscreens designed with the specific purpose of gaming in mind.

Last edited by Xzi,

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I only have 2 issues with it:

Battery life: This needs to be spot on if they want the console to succeed otherwise its defining trait is for naught. I have faith Nintendo can design a console with this in mind looking at their past endeavors but it'll either make or break the system.

Price: A Pixel C which uses Tegra X1 (this is rumored to use a custom version of X2) is $500 USD. Nintendo's history of starting around $300 could change with this. There'll most definitely be cost cutting measures taken to keep it as reasonable as possible but some people may not be up for paying $500 for this especially if it's a secondary console like the Wii.

Everything else though, I'm more excited for this than any console launch of the last 2 decades. Wii came close, but this shows me Nintendo could get back on their feet by releasing a console developers can come to grips with without forcing awkward gimmicks. But by making the gimmick a legitimate reason to buy games on Switch over PS4 or Xbox One. As for power, I'm keeping my expectations as around slightly less powerful than Xbox One, if anything it'll be underclocked to save battery life when it isn't docked.

Last edited by specht,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Except the fact that these features were already there and just being carried over. So, they have even less to complain about and even then, if we base things off preemptively hating new features, we wouldn't advance.
I'm not agreeing with them, I'm just explaining their point of view.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure what a Pixel C is, but the Shield TV also uses Tegra X1 and it's half that price, $250 new.

Google's Pixel line is their replacement for the Nexus line. Though they now seem to be following an Apple-like pricing model so hopefully it's just way overpriced.

I'd still expect it to cost more using the new generation chip though. $350-400 may be more reasonable. Varying with different flash memory sizes.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Reminds me of the Design a console Comp that GBATemp did in 2008.
There was a design that was a tablet with removable side controls, people said it wouldn't work!.

1P6ltLu.png

Designed , manufactured, and released by Aikun in October 2015. reversed engineer by Nintendo in October 2016

Last edited by Cartmanuk,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I told you yesterday... There is no magick in the hardware business, transistors don't come out of thin air. Kids were really optimistic about it having more power on the dock but that simply isn't feasible, at least not economically.

This is just like the Gamecube->Wii transistion. It will be about 2 times more powerful than the Wii U overall when docked, and will have half the clocks when in portable form, essentially making it a portable Wii U. When docked, it will be around 1/3 to 1/2 of Xbox One performance level, mainly due to the slow and limited RAM. A gpu having less teraflops is one thing, that same gpu having much less input/output due to slow ram is another thing entirely. Imagine a 1080 gpu with DDR3 ram, and you can get the picture.

The only saving grace it could have, if the rumours are true and it features 4gigabytes of ram, is for its OS to be lightweight enough so enough RAM is available for games. Without enough RAM, AAA ports won't be easy to make and the thing will end up like the Wii U. As long as the RAM is sufficient, it could get downgraded AAA ports.
We never argued whether there's something in the dock or not, we discussed whether there *technically could be* something in it, in line with the rumours, which still remains true - Tegra chips support external GPU connections, that feature of the SoC is used in its automotive implementation, the PX2, allowing for additional Pascal-based GPU's to be connected via MXM packages. Implementing an external GPU is still possible on the SoC, that's what the conversation was about, don't misrepresent what I said. We were very clear when saying that it's complete speculation based on rumours, we discussed technical feasibility, not reality. ;)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You make my point for me right here. "Can also be." You can't use a touchscreen and a traditional controller at the same time. The latter is 100% necessary to interact with games that have depth to them, the former is not.
Some games actually use the touchscreen and controller at the same time like Kid Icarus, but that is besides the point. You can't use every button on the controller at the same time doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. Games can have depth and be completely playable on a touchscreen. I know that's hard for you to hear.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty @BigOnYa @BakerMan :creep: +3