Hardware Poll: What do you think of the Switch?

What do you think of the Switch?

• Looks great! I'm definitely interested

Votes: 762 55.8%
  • Intriguing, but I'll wait to know more before I make up my mind

Votes: 467 34.2%
  • Not really interested, I don't see the appeal

Votes: 64 4.7%
  • WTF Nintendo? what is this crap

Votes: 73 5.3%

• Total voters

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, call me a weirdo. But I happen to like touch/motion controls.
Your a weirdo.

Motion controls are f***ing terrible. Still haven't played Galaxy or Skyward Sword because of them and never will.

The switch DOES have a touchscreen though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This concerns me; what about the 3DS' and the Wii U? Is Nintendo trying to kill their own consoles!? Despite that, i like the idea and the approach. Maybe it runs a base of Android, and with the Nvidia Tegra GPU, woohohooo...we're coming Xbox One and PS4!
the 3DS is 7 years old and the Wii U is 5 years old? what exactly did u want?

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Your a weirdo.

Motion controls are f***ing terrible. Still haven't played Galaxy or Skyward Sword because of them and never will.

Okay captain "I hate Nintendo." Chill out, and correct your grammar. Seriously, the Wii U is a pretty great console, so is the 3DS. So what if they're 7 years old. The Wii is 9+ and i still use it, and is still maintained by Hackers and Developers (Like me).

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see microsoft trying to get some of their games on microsoft 10 tablets. "Play your one games on your tablet using your controller!" No additional hardware, only software, which translates to "additional reasons to purchase". It also translates to "additional headaches and confusion"

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It looks OK. Definitely interesting concept but Nintendo seems to think everyone has kids hand once again, those mini controller are horrible lol.
Also wonder why they didn't make the screen a touch screen and the no backward compatibility is disappointing.
I know we might get Wii U title or other previous consoles on the nintendo store but i'm not a big fan of it. their pricing sux. They should learn from Sony Online store pricing as well as their frequent 80% off sales.
Anyways, will keep an eye out for it. How the homebrew scene turns out might be a major factor in if i'm getting it. I'm thinking along how the Wii was.

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay captain "I hate Nintendo." Chill out, and correct your grammar. Seriously, the Wii U is a pretty great console, so is the 3DS. So what if they're 7 years old. The Wii is 9+ and i still use it, and is still maintained by Hackers and Developers (Like me).
LOL I love Nintendo games you fool, also i never said because they are old that you should stop playing them. But obviously Nintendo isin't going to support a 7 year old handheld and a 5 year old failure of a console.

PS pointing out someones grammar or spelling on the internet makes you seem like a giant douche FYI, this isn't English class and you have no clue what my first tongue is.

Last edited by IpsoFact0,

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
LOL I love Nintendo games you fool, also i never said because they are old that you should stop playing them. But obviously Nintendo isin't going to support a 7 year old handheld and a 5 year old failure of a console.
Well understood, i am am no fool though. I don't care if they discontinue either or both consoles, i will continue to use them.

prion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Joy-Cons do seem a little bit silly and impractical (I mean have you seen how small that d-pad is? :rofl:), but overall the thing looks gorgeous. Definitely going to buy it as soon as I can.

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I find it hard to like. They have made a lot of compromises in order to have those two small detachable mini controllers for multiplayer.
Lack of: d-pad, dual screen mode (like DS or Wii U), backwards compatibility (for not having dual screen mode), cameras, motion controls / touchscreen (we still need confirmation of that).

Now I want to buy a Wii U on the cheap just to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, since I won't have the touch inventory and map view with the Nintendo Switch.
It would be cool if the Dock and System were wireless, so that you could have the system charging, and use Bluetooth or something else to transfer audio and video input/output. That would be a solution, but i doubt it has such a thing, and Bluetooth might be a little, under powered.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this is a wiiu done right imo, this is what the wiiu should have been in the first place, for me the bigger deal will be the batery life, if they release it like the wiiu gamepad wich the batery lasts for 2 hours it will be a mess.

Reactions: prion

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I do still have concern about Nintendo keeping any of the 3rd party support they currently have, I am at least interested.I was very excited to see that Skyrim will be on it, even if it is toned down, graphics-wise, as Skyrim is a game I still play regularly. Though it will be even better if they add mod support. I do think the Switch will, at least, sell better than the Wii U, but I also doubt that it will sell enough to be considered a "hit". I'll even be surprised if it does sell over 25 million units. After all, the technology is unlikely to appeal to most "core" gamers, and Nintendo already has a reputation as being more appealing to families and children. Also, with mobile taking over everywhere, unless a major Pokemon title is released for the Switch, I doubt many parents are going to buy this for their kid, especially since it doesn't have the clam shell chassis, which provides good protection, and the price is likely to be $250+ USD. Still, I will likely end up getting one, as I have bought every Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy Color, and still enjoy my Gamecube and Wii from time to time. I would have gotten a Wii U, but I really can't find the need to buy it.

Last edited by Requios,
Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your a weirdo.

if you think galaxy sucks thanks to bad motion controls, you obviously havent tried it. i have never run into a single issue with galaxy's motion controls, as they are incredibly well integrated and unintrusive. they are also incredibly simple. the most common motion you'll have to make is a simple flick. now skyward sword's motion controls are pretty trash, so no argument there.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old consoles do not always last like they used to. I for one am glad Xbox One plays Xbox 360 games although limited in selection as the 360s have a poor life span.

On the Nintendo side of things

Some Gamecubes and Wii's that work are suffering from aging lasers for some reason (The PS1s I have work fine) and need tweaking to read discs without errors.

This is why I like BC
Nintendon't is great as GameCube and Wii can be moved to the newer Wii U hardware so it lasts a bit longer.

i agree old consoles dont last but thats why i have extras and i have learned to repair them as best i can

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
concerns
* battery life
* cooling (seen those vents at the top, next to the headphone port?)
* performance
* proper case(s) to adequately protect from drops (but that still allow easy reconfigurability of the slide-on controllers and dock)
* price

Probably 3 or more of the above will be disappointments.

I don't think the Nintendo Switch will radically alter the landscape of mobile gaming (let alone redefine home gaming). If it were any other company, this product would basically have a very hard time getting people interested (as we have already seen with similar products). But with the weight of Nintendo's name, it could amount to something. But my gut instincts are saying 'compromise'. There is so much we still don't know, spec-wise. I think that is for good reason that we don't know (a good reason for Nintendo, that is).

I think the official promotional video is pretty weak (and comical in parts). But then again most advertising is hot air so that's nothing new. At least the Switch has a vent for it...

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just wondering how the hell it's supposed to be "Too big" when people carry huge ass phones and tablets around as it is.

Look at how thick it is again. Plus with the protruding controllers (left and right). It's massive compared to the typical tablet, thickness-wise. Plus all those removable pieces need to be stored somewhere. Totally different market to the 'casuals' who just want convenience and a quick game on their thin tablets and phones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1