Hacking [Poll] Bans and "send information about the console to Nintendo"

Were you banned, and did you have this option enabled?

• I have it enabled and was banned

Votes: 328 32.1%
  • I have it enabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 359 35.2%
  • I have it disabled and was banned

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • I have it disabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 281 27.5%

• Total voters

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't base an assumption off of just 1 metric, there should be more information as to what the people did, especially with such a small sample size....

Believe what you want, but I think you have a very misguided view of statistics.

Given that you do not know the difference between "majority" and "plurality," you might want to refrain from making statements that you can't actually back up.

Also, how is this a small sample size? It may be a biased sample in certain aspects, but it isn't small, not in the way you are suggesting.

In the real world, getting more detailed data is often an unaffordable luxury. We have several variables that are either impractical to gather or simply unavailable to us (i.e. whether Nintendo is holding off on banning some people but not others). However, of the people who have been banned, the overwhelming majority have been sharing their data with Nintendo. Given that this is a plausible way that Nintendo could detect illegitimate usage, it is safe to make a tentative conclusion that this is a likely cause of the bans, despite not knowing all of the details. It doesn't mean that this is the only cause, just that it is a common vector.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people that have been banned say that they've used freeShop prior to their ban. This probably doesn't matter, but I wonder if they were using the old version or @arc13's fork.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I think this is a cause (I mean from the data it's pretty clear) but possibly not the only one, maybe the other cause would be having shared the currently played title in the friends list.

Are there any plans to add some kind of feature to block that kind of information from being sent? Perhaps a title id whitelist/blacklist of some kind?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I wish there was a way to check that option with Internet turned off.
I've got 11.2, no idea which Luma version I have (how would I check that?) and fbi 2.4.2 (if that's any help)

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given that you do not know the difference between "majority" and "plurality," you might want to refrain from making statements that you can't actually back up.

Also, how is this a small sample size? It may be a biased sample in certain aspects, but it isn't small, not in the way you are suggesting.

In the real world, getting more detailed data is often an unaffordable luxury. We have several variables that are either impractical to gather or simply unavailable to us (i.e. whether Nintendo is holding off on banning some people but not others). However, of the people who have been banned, the overwhelming majority have been sharing their data with Nintendo. Given that this is a plausible way that Nintendo could detect illegitimate usage, it is safe to make a tentative conclusion that this is a likely cause of the bans, despite not knowing all of the details. It doesn't mean that this is the only cause, just that it is a common vector.

No actually in the real world, judgement is reserved and surveys are collected until enough data is available to make a statement (thank god it's not like you suggest). Nobody jumps to assumption, based on a single metric or on a sample size that we don't even know how effectively represents the hacking community.

A cause for a ban would imply that it is the reason for bans, and you have 120+ people who have not been banned meeting that criteria. The contributing factors are important for us to know exactly where N is looking to determine CFW use. It's stupid to simplify it to a single setting....

And again, there is two binary groups in the poll. The majority of those that did share information with Nintendo were not banned. My point stands.

Last edited by el_gonz87,

Karuley

Trophies
XP
Country
i got banned and i haven't used freeshop in a long time, or changed/updated anything about it, so i wouldn't bank too much on that

Ishtiaq1234

What exactly should i write here?
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish there was a way to check that option with Internet turned off.
I've got 11.2, no idea which Luma version I have (how would I check that?) and fbi 2.4.2 (if that's any help)
you should have the luma updater cia thing just open that it should show what version you have (i think its above where it says hourly) sadly it requires turning your net on sooo......

Last edited by Ishtiaq1234,

MeisterFenster

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also had both Options enabled an A9LH+Luma installed, but I didnt use/installed freeshop or even installed any .cia besides the stuff mentioned in 3ds.guide. My 3ds was quite often online, in standby and downloading games but I havent been banned (yet). So hopefully it is not only the spotpass data, which is causing the ban.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RustInPeace keeps mentioning me. I'm not done reading through this thread, but I'll share my situation. I only checked two of my main 3DS. I hacked them around the same time. Both were hacked end of last year with a9lh, updated to B9S when it came out. One has NNID and was a system transfer from another system (N1). The other is new without NNID (N2). I turned off the Internet Settings sharing off before I setup the internet connection.

N1 is banned. On both system I've had both system to show online status on Friend List, but no to the showing title. If you read the description for online status, it does say it'll show what you're playing. I'm not 100% sure how the two setting work in conjunction. I have turned both to off. N2 is still not banned. I did put an out of region title as favorite on N1 for a while maybe last year. It was probably on the system that it was transferred from. The funny thing is I have all my out of region titled installed on N2. Also have an impossible town on AC:NL on N2 as well, not sure how it actually works since I can't make another similar town without crashing the game.

I got 002-0102 on N1, but I could still access Friend List and it worked, but after a while it stopped working and showed error message when I went into it.

I have hacked game saves and games on both consoles.

Hope this information helps in some way.

Edit: I just checked my MiiPlaza. On N1 I had SpotPass on, but not on N2.

Last edited by pixelmasher,
Reactions: RustInPeace

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is it that's so dumb.
Nintendo asks people to voluntarily give them information, and then uses it to ban them.

Joshwraith

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well for the time being I not banned, I do played a few games (cia) but after trying them I delete them (even the ticket) with FBI, I do have spotpass (sharing all data) but I never tried or installed freeshop!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...