Pokemon Sun and Moon creators talk about fan games and invite fan game devs to apply at Game Freak

fan-made-pokemon-games-994x400.jpg

In a recent interview with Kotaku, Pokémon Sun and Moon’s producer Junichi Masuda expressed his thoughts on Pokémon fan games when prompted the question.

“Yes, of course, I see a lot of the—well, it’s hard to say an example, but I see a lot of people on Twitter [sending me] different takes [on Pokémon],” Masuda said, referencing to not only fan games but fan arts and such.

He continued by adding: “If I see that you are having fun creating things, or working on an art project...working on game development, we kind of share that feeling.”

Masuda even went on to encourage those fan game developers to join his team. “In general terms, as creators we both have fun creating things, and at Game Freak we are always looking for skilled individuals, so please apply!”

There you have it Pokémon fan game developers! Game Freak might hire you for the next Pokémon installment!

:arrow: SOURCE

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameinformer did a "burning questions" with Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori, the former pretty much said the same thing, as Uranium was brought up. I expected a legal spiel, but I was surprised to read the encouragement. It makes me think The Pokemon Company act independent from Game Freak. So, TPC is Nintendo, Game Freak is basically Sega (they encourage fanmade Sonic games for example).

Reactions: Raylight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has happened
  1. Nintendo shuts down fan projects of their games.
  2. Fans backlash
  3. Nintendo offer job to said people
  4. @Sonic Angel Knight is like O_O
What should happen
  1. Null all cease and desist orders and drop charges on all nintendo based fn projects including fan art (yes even nsfw ones)
  2. Allow fan projects games to be free. (seriously do NOT sell these fan projects)
  3. Then hire them to make new game under nintendo licence if they do wish to be hired.
  4. Make everyone happy.
And i'll still be confused. But least people will be happy :P

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
does this mean nintendo will stop C&D'ing pokemon fangames?
No. It means they give a chance for the devs to join their team. They won't be less protective of their copyrighted material, though.

Reactions: Deleted User

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
does this mean nintendo will stop C&D'ing pokemon fangames?

to all the people that seems to fail to understand.

gamefreak is not nintendo.
gamefreak and nintendo are 2 different companies...
gamefreak may be totally ok and even encorage people to do fangames. however nintendo is the real one that does not agree with fan made games,
nintendo owns pokemon. gamefreak develops it (or did, not sure if they still have that job) pokemon games..

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will be the ones going after copyright holders. Gamefreak develop the main games mainly. Different wheel-houses and different companies. edit:ninja a bit

Last edited by osaka35,

goteniai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to all the people that seems to fail to understand.

gamefreak is not nintendo.
gamefreak and nintendo are 2 different companies...
gamefreak may be totally ok and even encorage people to do fangames. however nintendo is the real one that does not agree with fan made games,
nintendo owns pokemon. gamefreak develops it (or did, not sure if they still have that job) pokemon games..
What a complex relationshop=.=
I would rather not work in GF because I have my own ambition. But the official translation really sucks for Chinese. Where did they find the translators=.=

Reactions: guisadop

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And about my Logos he don't even cared to see .A. /dies XD /
Nice to se ethe way stuff are getting , fans being able to get close to the original development o3o
What has happened
  2. Fans backlash
What should happen
  1. Null all cease and desist orders and drop charges on all nintendo based fn projects including fan art (yes even nsfw ones)
  2. Allow fan projects games to be free. (seriously do NOT sell these fan projects)
  3. Then hire them to make new game under nintendo licence if they do wish to be hired.
  4. Make everyone happy.
ma sthis is simple, nintendo don't directly take action about the violation policy, masuda onlu knew about fangame because fans showing him it. Wo take down projects aren't nontendo or gamefreaks directly, is someone hired to do it

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Also this is an oportinity I dream for but well I don't know japanese and can't go easily to japan (seeing that they don't help with intership...) so it's not for me yet ...
WHAT official Pokémon Urianium, probly not.
wanting fans as work hand is not the same as canonizinh fanworks, this is not a good idea because it also breaks a lot of series canon ...

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What has happened
  2. Fans backlash
What should happen
  4. Make everyone happy.
As it has been said time and time again, Game Freak is NOT Nintendo.
And it is the Pokémon Company that sends the C&D letters to all Fan related games about Pokémon, despite Nintendo owning the trademark.
Which is normal because said company has the purpose of handling, merchandise and licensing issues, which includes (yes, you guessed it), copyright infrigments of the brand. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission