Game Freak is working on an action-adventure game codenamed 'Project Bloom'

project bloom.jpg

Game Freak, the developer behind the Pokémon games, is further diversifying its portfolio. The Japan-based studio has announced that it is partnering with Western publisher Take-Two Interactive original action-adventure game codenamed Project Bloom. The team released a concept art, featured above, and the game is said to be "bold and tonally different” from the developer's previous titles.

“We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to create new IP that is bold and tonally different from our prior work,” said Kota Furushima, director at Game Freak, in a news release. “From the beginning, Private Division was the publisher we wanted to work with on our new game. Their track record and global expertise give us all the confidence to create a sweeping new action-adventure game that we can’t wait to share more about in the future.”

“We’re ready to help Game Freak unleash their potential and we’re honored to be the first Western publisher to work alongside this exceptionally talented and proven team to bring a bold new IP to market,” added Michael Worosz, chief strategy officer at Take-Two Interactive and head of Private Division.

While not much else is known about the project, Project Bloom is slated for a release during Take-Two Interactive’s 2026 fiscal year (April 1, 2025 to March 31, 2026). This means there's quite some time before we see more of the game and what it has to offer. What type of game do you think it will be?

:arrow: SOURCE

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have high expectations, or any expectations other than it being a shitty game considering this is Game Freak.

They've sunk like an iron ball in terms of quality since the DS GBA days.
FTFY

But, in all seriousness, a tonal shift could be just what they need to reinvigorate themselves and diversify beyond Pokémon.
There used to be a time when their non-Pokémon titles were far more interesting than their mainstream cashcow.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I assume Game Freak is going through a major case of the burnout after god knows how many years of releasing the same game over and over with minor (and arguable) improvements, so I’m not surprised they’re itching to do just about anything that’s different from standard affair. I say “good” - even if the project isn’t particularly successful, it’ll let them get back to their bread and butter with a fresher mind.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Finally something from Game Freak that isn't Pokémon!

(For those who don't know, they also had developed the Yoshi puzzle game for NES and Game Boy back in 1991.)

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally something from Game Freak that isn't Pokémon!

(For those who don't know, they also had developed the Yoshi puzzle game for NES and Game Boy back in 1991.)

Game Freak occasionally develops non-pokemon games. For example: Pocket Card Jockey, Giga Wrecker, Little Town Hero.
They're forgettable at best.

Reactions: Esdeath

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like most of their pre-Pokémon games, and gens 1-3 were fantastic in their day, but... Drill Dozer was the last thing they did that was not only original but also really good... and that was 20 years ago!
I thought Harmo Knight was ok, but considering it was a rhythm game it had a decidedly bland and forgettable soundtrack.

Reactions: Acetonide

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
"Take-Two Interactive" bro I wheezed, lmaooo...this is gonna be a dumpster fire, you're gonna work with one of the world's scummiest corporate companies out there that is like EA, - further more even if it wasn't that cash pig corporate company, it still will be a terrible thing to do because they released a trashy game for their main franchise and got away with scamming people...- good grief man, the game was completely rushed out and not even done.

They did it on purpose as well cause of the money they can easily get from fanatics.
Whatever this will end up being..I just yeah never mind it gonna either be a flop..which I would not be surprised at all or a success which will surprise me e.e...either way I can't wait for the memes to roll out man...

Edit; "Their track record and global expertise give us all the confidence to create a sweeping new action-adventure game that we can’t wait to share more about in the future" - holy cow, never mind this is gonna be a circus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste