Pokemon Prism Rom Hack gets C&D'd by Nintendo

ss+(2016-12-21+at+12.20.14).png

It looks like Nintendo is going after fan games again. Earlier this year, Nintendo sent cease and desist letters to two fan games that used Nintendo properties; Pokemon Uranium and AM2R. But it looks like NOA isn't quite done shutting down fan projects this year, as renown romhacker "Coolboyman" has received a C&D for all of his romhacks. Not only has his completed but unreleased hack called Pokemon Prism been targeted, but Rijon Adventures and Brown must also be taken down to avoid legal pursuit. (Of course the latter two have been distributed over the internet many times, so it's pretty much a nonissue.) Last week also saw Konami issue a C&D to a Castlevania 1 remake in Unreal Engine. It's a sad, harsh lesson to everyone that those who wish to create fan projects should not generate hype, but instead quietly release their works and then promote them after the fact. Pokemon Prism was the result of 8 years of Coolboyman's work, and will now likely not see a release.

:arrow: SOURCE

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some companies want you to steal their assets. Because when you do, it makes the characters and ideas created by them more popular, and potentially worth more money. Look for the Creative Commons license symbol (circled "CC" logo). Often they will want "attribution", which means you need to identify the company and asset you're using but need not pay money for the use.

It's pretty rare for companies to do this, but you see it sometimes.
take Sega for example , they have fan made rom hacks of their sonic games on steam , pretty smart way to increase popularity , wouldn't you agree?

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah ..now he can't do anything ..not even leak it ..Once you get the CD letter you pretty much have no options, unless of course one of Nintendo's rival funds him to go for the legal battle // err...conspiracy theories ;)
Yeah, they know it's him now and so any leak would be associated and assumed facilitated by him. I wonder before even announcing publicly (another mistake) to Facebook and even sharing his C&D letter to the world, he could have been like, "well, I'm going to release it today". Then when Nintendo comes back at him inevitably, he can play dumb and say, "oh... I didn't read your letter yet". The letter was labelled with the date the 21st, so he could make the case that he simply hasn't read it since "you guys just gave it to me today, I was on vacation... etc.".

Because he publicly declared his situation already, Nintendo knows he has read the letter the same day they sent it out.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so, Nintendo is trying to apply Australian law, so, if this guy lives in the U.S., isn't it unfair to punish him with Australian law instead of American law.
That's like Kin Jong-un saying:
''Under the law of North Korea, you are punished to death for making fun of me''.
they're probably applying Australian law, because the devs are probably Australian..

munchy_cool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they're probably applying Australian law, because the devs are probably Australian..
Cali based ..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, they know it's him now and so any leak would be associated and assumed facilitated by him. I wonder before even announcing publicly (another mistake) to Facebook and even sharing his C&D letter to the world, he could have been like, "well, I'm going to release it today". Then when Nintendo comes back at him inevitably, he can play dumb and say, "oh... I didn't read your letter yet". The letter was labelled with the date the 21st, so he could make the case that he hasn't read it.
I guess he got it in an email ..but for sure could have released it the same day and then posted the letter ..but then again if thats your job would you do so and risk being sued ?

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Today is 21.
So, he himself informed you that Nintendo sent this.
If Nintendo somehow hasn't sent the letter to him, he should work hard to release as soon as possible.
Nintendo, you a**hole.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if there's a workaround. Such as replacing assets, or working on something that isn't quite so "copyrighted".

Wait, so, Nintendo is trying to apply Australian law, so, if this guy lives in the U.S., isn't it unfair to punish him with Australian law instead of American law.
That's like Kin Jong-un saying:
''Under the law of North Korea, you are punished to death for making fun of me''.
Sorry if this is a noob question. I don't know much about law.
Perhaps it's nintendo australia? :3 and copyright is so important there is international copyright law. That whole transatlantic trade and investment partnership thing. And US companies and government aren't too big on respecting other countries' sovereignty

Last edited by osaka35,

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, they know it's him now and so any leak would be associated and assumed facilitated by him. I wonder before even announcing publicly (another mistake) to Facebook and even sharing his C&D letter to the world, he could have been like, "well, I'm going to release it today". Then when Nintendo comes back at him inevitably, he can play dumb and say, "oh... I didn't read your letter yet". The letter was labelled with the date the 21st, so he could make the case that he simply hasn't read it since "you guys just gave it to me today, I was on vacation... etc.".

Because he publicly declared his situation already, Nintendo knows he has read the letter the same day they sent it out.
he could claim that he shared the finished version with some friends on the net before he got their letter and that they released it if it gets leaked .

Last edited by Deleted member 377734,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
take Sega for example , they have fan made rom hacks of their sonic games on steam , pretty smart way to increase popularity , wouldn't you agree?
Sure, and they even hold fan game contests yearly, which is awesome for SEGA, but Nintendo is like a mother bear when it comes to their IPs. Don't get too close or they'll attack.

munchy_cool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by munchy_cool,

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because Prism got too much attention, his trailer video has like 1.5 million views ...
Then just take the trailer down, everything'll be fiiiine :D
It's like playing peekaboo.
Nintendo: *sees trailer* Mrgrgr! There it is!
Rom Hacker: *takes trailer down*
Nintendo: :O Where'd it go?? Was it a mirage the whole time?

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, and crumbling