Pokemon Let's Go will have specific requirements in order to fight Gym Leaders

tQY1AgH.png

Since the announcement of Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee and Pikachu, fans have been debating and contesting a lot of the changes this spinoff entry seems to be making. From the Pokemon Go integration, to the new way to capture Pokemon, and more, there's been no doubt that this game is trying to differentiate itself from the mainline titles. Now, according to a new update post on the Japanese Pokemon site, there's a new feature in regards to Gym Battles. Now, players can only pass when they meet set requirements. These range from having a certain Pokemon type, level, and other specifications.

It's not entirely explained if you only have to show these types of Pokemon to get through the door, or if you need to keep the Pokemon in your party throughout the Gym fight. But it certainly is a shake-up to the formula that could potentially get in the way of beloved Nuzlockes and other self-imposed challenges, like monotype runs. We'll be sure to keep you updated if more information is announced.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would a gym leader even have a ref outside that only allows trainers in who own your weakness? That doesn't even make sense story line wise. :(
ikr

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why would a gym leader even have a ref outside that only allows trainers in who own your weakness? That doesn't even make sense story line wise. :(
plus, iirc, before 1st gym, there arent water/grass pokemon (in RBY)
there was normal, flying and bug pokemon mainly

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're a Pokemon trainer who deserves the badges, then you should at least know the Pokemon types, and know what is strong and weak against what.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ikr

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

plus, iirc, before 1st gym, there arent water/grass pokemon (in RBY)
there was normal, flying and bug pokemon mainly
iirc again, i think there was an exception to this in RBY
I think you can find Mankey on the road to pokemon league
it is effective against rock too :P

Reactions: Bowl0l

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
iirc again, i think there was an exception to this in RBY
I think you can find Mankey on the road to pokemon league
it is effective against rock too :P
The best way to get past Brock was a poison type (Nidoran with double kick), bug type (butterfree with confusion), or fighting type (Mankey with low kick). You had to go out of your way to find a decent Pokemon, which was an actual challenge. Either they're going to be throwing a Bulbasaur and Squirtle at the player really early on, or the route right before Pewter is going to have different Pokemon to catch.

Reactions: Bowl0l

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best way to get past Brock was a poison type (Nidoran with double kick), bug type (butterfree with confusion), or fighting type (Mankey with low kick). You had to go out of your way to find a decent Pokemon, which was an actual challenge. Either they're going to be throwing a Bulbasaur and Squirtle at the player really early on, or the route right before Pewter is going to have different Pokemon to catch.
idr, there was Nidoran before 1st gym?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
so they require you to have pokemons that have type advantage against the gym your fighting or even a certain lvl to make sure you never loose a battle...

this is kinda wierd and just even worse than sun moon tutorials really, the worst part imo is that in yellow you cant have any water or grass types when you reach the first gym so they went ahead and added water and grass type pokemons to the path to make the game even easier?

i remenber beating first gym with buterfree confusion or nidoran double kick because there are no water or grass pokemons until gym 1 to be catchable on gen 1 yellow(obviously on red/blue you could choose squirtle or bulbasaur tough).

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's for the younger audiences and those that play Go but there's a limit to the handholding. There is a reason the Pokemon formula prints money and I'm not sure this is the way to go. At the end of the day, the deciding factor will be how it sells overall so if you don't like it show some restraint and don't buy it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yellow, and FRLG had him on Route 2, as well as the area where you fight Blue/Gary the second optional time near the League gates.
they probably added odishes or bellsprouts and some water pokemons like goldeens to the routes just wait and see.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
they probably added odishes or bellsprouts and some water pokemons like goldeens to the routes just wait and see.
I doubt there will be goldeen
but maybe polywag and marill (if they included others gen)

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually--you could technically catch a Goldeen in Viridian city. There's that little pond down in the bottom left of the town. The problem is just that you need a Super Rod, which you don't get until way later in the game.

I remember when Fire Red/Leaf Green came out, people were furious that Charmanders could learn metal claw so that the fight with Brock was easier. However, you don't HAVE to learn the attack, it's option to use it. I hate when things are forced upon the player, and it's the reason I've stopped caring about Pokemon since X/Y. I want to love the game, because Kanto is my favorite, but if they're going to coddle the player, I'm out.

Reactions: Noctosphere

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The problem this time is that we forget that we are not the targeted audience anymore. Pokemon was for kids, and we're not kids anymore. It's like expecting Teletubbies to be more mature now because time has passed. Pokemon needs new stuff, but the new generation still need to grasp the core concepts of the game. And for that I'm really happy that they made Pokemon Let's Go. Imagine if you have a kid, you could actually share the core pokemon experience, but with a totally different point of view.

Reactions: PedroKeitawa

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem this time is that we forget that we are not the targeted audience anymore. Pokemon was for kids, and we're not kids anymore. It's like expecting Teletubbies to be more mature now because time has passed. Pokemon needs new stuff, but the new generation still need to grasp the core concepts of the game. And for that I'm really happy that they made Pokemon Let's Go. Imagine if you have a kid, you could actually share the core pokemon experience, but with a totally different point of view.
they should make pokemon tv show with real actors and 3d animated pokemons
The main characters would be like 16-18years old
the seasons would be like 22-23 episodes with like 2 gym leader per season
I dont mind about blood and sex in pokemon, but no death please

well, thats just an idea :P

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
they should make pokemon tv show with real actors and 3d animated pokemons
The main characters would be like 16-18years old
the seasons would be like 22-23 episodes with like 2 gym leader per season
I dont mind about blood and sex in pokemon, but no death please

well, thats just an idea :P
DO THE MARIO!

Wasn't the anime relatively dark, with relatively frequent mentions of death? (at least the first two generations... didn't watch much, or remember anything, of the newer ones)

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DO THE MARIO!

Wasn't the anime relatively dark, with relatively frequent mentions of death? (at least the first two generations... didn't watch much, or remember anything, of the newer ones)
well, i do remember in the game and anime, about lavander tower, people said it was haunted by the spirit of dead pokemon
but nothing more
what i meant is that i dont want to see Pikachu's head flying off after facing a kingler using guillotine, unless Joy can fix it :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Chips Ahoy cookies :D:wub::D