ROM Hack Pokemon HG/SS: JP Game Corner Hack?

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to hack the JP Game Corner into a U ROM of HeartGold/SoulSilver?

Because face it, Voltorb Flip SUCKS.

Prof. 9

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not that hard, the map is still there in the ROM and it is fully functional along with all the events inside it (you can, for instance, buy coins). The only problem is that none of the text was translated, so all the NPCs have empty speech boxes (unless I did something wrong when warping to the Game Corner).

Incidentally, interacting with the slot machines starts the Voltorb Flip minigame.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a really in-depth post about this when HGSS came out here. In a nutshell, yes you can hack the game corner back in but the actual slots are gone for good.

Prof. 9 said:
It's not that hard, the map is still there in the ROM and it is fully functional along with all the events inside it (you can, for instance, buy coins). The only problem is that none of the text was translated, so all the NPCs have empty speech boxes (unless I did something wrong when warping to the Game Corner).

Incidentally, interacting with the slot machines starts the Voltorb Flip minigame.
The ROM isn't fully functioning... The slots graphics (and I'm guessing code as well) have been specifically and deliberately removed.

Prof. 9

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd say having both the ability to buy coins AND play Voltorb Flip is the best of both worlds, though.

I guess there's only one way to find out if they actually removed the slots code; figuring out what happens when the game calls the mini-game script command.

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prof. 9 said:
I'd say having both the ability to buy coins AND play Voltorb Flip is the best of both worlds, though.

I guess there's only one way to find out if they actually removed the slots code; figuring out what happens when the game calls the mini-game script command.
They just changed out the narcs data and switched the triggers. Should be able to swap the narcs and edit the triggers. That's how my friend did it.

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hatchetball said:
Actually, yes it has been done and is entirely possible. Lemme contact my friend who has done it and I'll see what I can do about getting him to post it on here for you all.

Whoa, that would be super sweet!

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Voltorb Flip does NOT suck.

Especially if you have a calculator.
smileipb2.png

dmoeenm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this thread still alive I would l like to help or at least see were you have gotten in the past few years especially since rom hacking and other such tools for hg and ss have become more available and easier to use so is there anything new with this project anything I can help you with please tell me

Butterhands

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They just changed out the narcs data and switched the triggers. Should be able to swap the narcs and edit the triggers. That's how my friend did it.
Will be interesting know what are the triggers you're talking and what they did with the original japaneese narcs, replaced international narcs, or added in the rom.

Butterhands

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The graphic file is still present in US and EUR versions, at the same position, only cleared:

J3h9yF4.png

The problem is that the scripts in JAP and USA/EUR versions are the same, then the script call the same ASM, maybe the code is still present but moved in another numeric ASM. Someone could use the debugger to discover what happen after the script is started? Which address the ASM call?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...