Hacking Pokemon Dream radar and DS - Exploit?

Dionysus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking a while ago there could be a POSSIBLE exploit between Pokemon Black and White 2 concerning the Pokemon Dream Radar!

1) Pokemon Dream radar is a 3DS software title which fully uses 3DS features (gyro, camera, spotpass...)

2) Pokemon Black and White 2 are both DS games

3) Usually when playing DS games the 3DS features are locked out

4) However using pokemon dream radar you are able to transfer pokemon caught and send them over to pokemon Black and White 2.

What if and im being highly optimistic here, we could somehow create a rom which can get into the 3DS features and do something?, while changing the ROM header to Pokemon Black 2.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Black/White 2 are what I'd like to refer to as (and probably others, I don't care) 3DS enhanced games, meaning when in a 3DS they can access certain 3DS features. When running a flashcard, all ROMs DSi/3DS enhanced will run in DS Mode ONLY. We still don't have access to DSi mode (well...we did kind of, but the support of the card is gone).

Also, you can't just "Change the header" of a flashcard to whatever game you want, there are only specific games with which changes like these work.

Reactions: 1 person

plasmareshiram

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a pokemon black and white 2 rom and i just used pokegen to get the therian genies so the dream radar slightly useless for roms

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not going to happen. Pokemon dream radar will edit the game save and that's all. BW2 is a DSi enhanced game, not a 3DS enhanced game. When running a DS(i) game (or flashcarts for that matter,) it is running in a sandbox mode which won't let you touch 3DS functions. It will only read official BW2 carts and flash cards will be ignored.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a question i've always wondered. Why can't we flash ,or something, a rom to the frimware so the game acts like a real card like the 3 in 1. and there is a button or something on the card that releases the rom and we can go back to the ds-mode menu?

Kuroko Shirai

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
May I correct the TS?
Because Dream Radar doesn't use 3D at all.
Actually, it disables 3D, as soon as it's booted up.

I'm sorry, I am getting confused here... Dream Radar is a 3DS-ware, right? Unless you mean the transferring, won't that essentially use either the wireless feature or the IR system? :P

ShineStar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure you boot up the dream radar app and it just edits the pokemon into the cartridge inserted in the cartridge slot.
this way, the 3DSware has access to all the 3DS features, but the game cart when booted up is at most DSi Enhanced and has no 3DS features.

Reactions: 1 person

Kuroko Shirai

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'm pretty sure you boot up the dream radar app and it just edits the pokemon into the cartridge inserted in the cartridge slot.
this way, the 3DSware has access to all the 3DS features, but the game cart when booted up is at most DSi Enhanced and has no 3DS features.

I suppose that could be one but I checked Serebii's site and you can get some Pokemon from 4th gen's mascot if you insert the specific cart on the 3DS... but the transferring, I feel you need another console for it...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, how to clear this up...

B/W2 are DSi-Enhanced games, they work within the Sandbox and they can access DSi-Specific functions (provided you use a genuine cartridge), they can't access 3DS hardware. The other way around though, Dream Radar is a 3DS application (as far as I know) and it can access all of the 3DS's functions, including read/write functions of the slot. All it really does is check whether there's a B/W2 cartridge inserted and writes into the save file of the cart. It works one-way only and it won't work with a flashcart.

Reactions: 2 people

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
@[member='Kuroko Shirai'], my point is, that Dream Radar doesn't use all 3DS features.
In this case, it doesn't use 3D, and probably StreetPass and/or SpotPass as well, but that's something I couldn't test yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: