Pokémon Nova Sun & Umbra Moon: Fully-featured, challenging Sun/Moon ROMhacks!

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Dio Vento, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    No, it needs Luma 7.0+ (as specified everywhere the CFW is mentioned in the OP and second post). Follow this guide to update to boot9strap so you can use the latest Luma3DS version. The process is very quick (less than five minutes) and mostly consists of downloading and placing files on the SD card.

If you can't take five minutes to update your Luma to 8.x, download Luma 7.0.5 from here and use it alongside a9lh. Luma 7.x is compatible with a9lh.

2. windwakemeupinside

windwakemeupinside Resident Gost

Apr 14, 2016
    United States
    Faerun
    I realized that it wasn't the patch causing my RNG calculations to be wrong. Matsuda Method goes off the Pokemon's Language (if it has the mark on the top right of the top screen saying it's another Language), not 3ds Country data now. I wasn't doing Matsuda, but thought I was, clicking it on the RNG program and it was causing my math to be wrong.

Sorry Dio for the mixup. :yay3ds:

3. gamerboy1995

gamerboy1995 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    United States
    Has anyone managed to build the CIA version successfully, especially the Expanded build? I've tried both sun and moon on two different Windows 10 PCs, several times each, using 3DS and CIA sources, and I always get errors no matter what I try. Sometimes it doesn't generate a CIA file at all, and sometimes it generates a CIA file that's way too small (300KB - 400MB for a game that should be 3GB).

4. Dio Vento
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Make sure there's room on your hard disk and you have a fair amount of RAM. 3dstool took 6GB while building the CIAs for me.

5. gamerboy1995

Aug 20, 2011
    United States
    On my laptop, I have over 300GB of free space on my hard disk and 12GB of RAM. Still doesn't work right.

6. Dio Vento
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Oh well. At least you can use the Drag and Drop method on any 3DS that could install a CIA.

7. gamerboy1995

Aug 20, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, eventually I gave up and just used the Drag and Drop method with Luma, but it would be nice to be able to use it in Gateway mode instead of rebooting to Luma specifically for this game

From what I've been able to play so far, using Luma's game patching, it looks nice. I definitely noticed the higher difficulty curve when I went into the Trainer School unprepared and got thrashed by Joey.

EDIT: Finally got to the first trial, and I have to say that this is the first time in years that I've legitimately wanted to rage quit a pokemon game for being too hard.

Last edited by gamerboy1995, Jul 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM
  8. SebasContre

SebasContre Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Santiago
    When Penumbra Moon is released, be sure I will make another let's play series :)

Dio Vento likes this.
  9. erikbarone

erikbarone Newbie

Newcomer
    Yesterday
    United States
    Hello, I ran into this problem, it says extract failed but then extraction complete, should i be worried and continue with the installation? thanks
    upload_2017-7-24_2-32-46.png

10. Dio Vento
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Uncompress error means you need to decrypt the ROM.