Hacking Please help with USB Loader GX and hdd detection

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
4.3 has additional patches and anti region free. well, it's mainly affecting modchips but 4.2 and 4.3 are only adding patches over 4.1.
4.1 system menu is the one with the most vulnerabilities.
Well, most users will not use them, but updating past 4.1 is not needed at all.

and sorry to be against you again, but ... he doesn't need to resoftmod his console.
Do not use modmii again.
You already have everything you need.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It did try to update but says I have the latest version *shrugs* must have changed servers, I'll download the new one anyway, always useful to have.

Anywho So what should I do now then Cyan, you missed a bit, I installed the v8 IOS's, they load but the new versions of GX hang on my HDD. Either on initializing hdds or on "waiting" and then it pops into the program without any games but with all the new options and the correct information in the credits.

I reinstalled my old channel and it loads my HDD just fine, the new forwarder however does not...

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
4.3 has additional patches and anti region free. well, it's mainly affecting modchips but 4.2 and 4.3 are only adding patches over 4.1.
4.1 system menu is the one with the most vulnerabilities.
Well, most users will not use them, but updating past 4.1 is not needed at all.

and sorry to be against you again, but ... he doesn't need to resoftmod his console.
Do not use modmii again.
You already have everything you need.
Agree. Not needed at all but it shouldn't hurt to do so.
It shouldn't matter, that's what I'm getting at.
It did try to update but says I have the latest version *shrugs* must have changed servers, I'll download the new one anyway, always useful to have.

Anywho So what should I do now then Cyan, you missed a bit, I installed the v8 IOS's, they load but the new versions of GX hang on my HDD. Either on initializing hdds or on "waiting" and then it pops into the program without any games but with all the new options and the correct information in the credits.

I reinstalled my old channel and it loads my HDD just fine, the new forwarder however does not...
Dude, I went trough the trouble of LITERALLY getting ModMii, and checking each and every option on it for you. Please, follow what I said. I PROMISE you won't f**k up your console and that way you'll have everything on check. If your loader fails to load still. Then we at least know for sure you're running everything as it should.
You can either follow Cyans instructions (which are obviously correct although more "complex" since you'd have to install components manually) or mine which are mostly automated.
It's up to you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the "hang" at HDD init has nothing to do with your softmod.
It's a known issue and is related to your hardware : Your HDD is not compatible !

Do not try to fix it by editing your softmod, reinstalling wad or whatever you thing should help.

But you said going back to the full channel helped?
Did you try using the r1180 (the same as the full channel) but launched from the forwarder?

sideskroll : he doesn't need to follow my instruction anymore, he already did !
he already had d2x v8 installed in slot 249 and 250.

Now that we know the cIOS is not the issue here, it means he has the same issue than a lot of users. it's not his softmod, it's his hardware.
The only difference is that he said using the full channel helped, while other users tried a lot of old versions and it never helped.
so I'm wondering is using r1180 from HBC is also helping.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
the "hang" at HDD init has nothing to do with your softmod.
It's a known issue and is related to your hardware : Your HDD is not compatible !

Do not try to fix it by editing your softmod, reinstalling wad or whatever you thing should help.

But you said going back to the full channel helped?
Did you try using the r1180 (the same as the full channel) but launched from the forwarder?
It's things like this why I recommend ModMii my friend.
Why not have him use ModMiis provided forwarder? IIRC it's the most compatible (although kinda slower) of them all.
Just let him update his softmod. It wouldn't hurt and I'm almost certain that he messed something up somewhere while installing crap over crap...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
he already has the forwarder, and it didn't work.
he didn't mess, it's a USBLoaderGX bug. not his fault. mine. I need to fix the HDD initialization bug. that's all.

note:
the modmii forwarder is a basic forwarder.
it only loads the dol.
It doesn't load meta.xml arguments (unless I'm not aware of it).

the USBGX forwarder (UNEO) is working with ustealth drives, FAT32 and NTFS, USB and SD, using meta arguments.
But the freeze issue is not related to the forwarder, as launching from HBC is also freezing.

Reactions: sideskroll

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The forwarder doesn't work with r1180 either, the channel however does, it's really weird.
It's not like my HDD isn't compatible AT ALL because it works just fine with the channel (except that I need to play my GC's from an SD which I really didn't want to)...

That's why I'm like, ok, some HDD's don't work, if that's the case it is what it is but it DOES work, proof lies in the channel version! lol

Thanks for your help sideskroll

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's a workaround for the freezing issue, until I work on fixing it.

1. launch HBC
2. press wiimote button to open the settings
3. select USB instead of SD .... wait and do it again to re-select SD.
4. launch the loader

it's really a freeze, not just "hdd now found, switching to channel mode" right?

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
The forwarder doesn't work with r1180 either, the channel however does, it's really weird.
It's not like my HDD isn't compatible AT ALL because it works just fine with the channel (except that I need to play my GC's from an SD which I really didn't want to)...

That's why I'm like, ok, some HDD's don't work, if that's the case it is what it is but it DOES work, proof lies in the channel version! lol

Thanks for your help sideskroll
I'll just say it one more time:
Try and update your softmod. You don't have to update the SM if you don't want to (although I would to be honest)
And I'm sure Cyan's right with what he's saying. But trying what I said wouldn't hurt and it might in fact fix SOMETHING you might have overlooked somewhere.
Anyway, I gave you the steps and links required.
My advice would be to try it. Stay on 4.1 but follow everything else.

*EDIT* Also, after reading Cyan's last post I'm wondering if you have your loader on SD or USB....
You should try USB (I know Cyan likes to have it on SD, not sure why but USB works perfectly fine)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, you can try to reinstall everything like he said.
it's just that I like "don't fix if not broken", which means not updating if not necessary.

It mays seems broken for you, but it's just because you don't understand how the console is working.
when launching USBLoaderGX, only ONE thing is used and is in memory : IOS58 when you are in HBC which is then reloaded to IOS 249 (or 250 if you edited your settings).
All the other files located on your console has no effect on the compatibility.

But maybe I missed something myself too.
You can try to re-softmod.

Just know that the freezing issue is happening to vWii users too, which has no update to do.
all the system files and system menus are identical for everyone. some hdd works, some don't.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Holdon I'm going to update my wads because I don't even have that option in HBC (can't switch between USB/HDD) so I assume mine is old since the ModMii I used was v4.6.1 (which it said was the latest) while sideskroll just linked me to 6.x.x.

As for the freeze, it either freezes on initializing hdd, that just stays there for hours OR it doesn't find the HDD and says waiting for hdds x seconds and then boots into the menu saying no HDD found loading channels.

Oh and lol I know how the console works, I never worked with a Wii simply because I never bothered but am a hobby programmer (mostly opensouce contributions), just not a reverse engeneering one per se lol.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
what's your HBC version ? (home menu > version at the top)
as long as it's 1.0.7 or newer, and running on IOS58 you are good.

the device option exists for a very long time (maybe even the very first release).
and you can't "update your wads", as HBC is not a wad.

If you know how wii is working, then you understand that installing and updating titles that the Forwarder or USBLoader are not using is not useful.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
well, you can try to reinstall everything like he said.
it's just that I like "don't fix if not broken", which means not updating if not necessary.

It mays seems broken for you, but it's just because you don't understand how the console is working.
when launching USBLoaderGX, only ONE thing is used and is in memory : IOS58 when you are in HBC which is then reloaded to IOS 249 (or 250 if you edited your settings).
All the other files located on your console has no effect on the compatibility.

But maybe I missed something myself too.
You can try to re-softmod.

Just know that the freezing issue is happening to vWii users too, which has no update to do.
all the system files and system menus are identical for everyone. some hdd works, some don't.
I know how it works. And I know that in theory nothing else should cause that behavior. In practice though he could have any number of issues with cIOS, bad patches. outdated softmod etc... So it wouldn't hurt to just MAKE SURE you're currently working with a clean slate before troubleshooting other issues.
That's all I'm saying.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
what's your HBC version ? (home menu > version at the top)
as long as it's 1.0.7 or newer, and running on IOS58 you are good.

the device option exists for a very long time (maybe even the very first release).
and you can't "update your wads", as HBC is not a wad.
Cyan, dude. please, PLEASE just let him update everything as I told him.
I ASSURE you it will fix his issues.
I know you know your sh!t. But common, give me a little credit here. I know what I'm saying. :grog:
Outdated HBC, corrupted files, wrong cIOS? It could be ANYTHING.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol yeah my HBC is like v1.1.2, the options I have are back, about, launch bootmii, exit to system, shutdown. That's it.

So should I start from scratch? No need to bannerbomb again right.. that seems kinda pointless hehe

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
lol yeah my HBC is like v1.1.2, the options I have are back, about, launch bootmii, exit to system, shutdown. That's it.

So should I start from scratch? No need to bannerbomb again right.. that seems kinda pointless hehe
Just stop all that troubleshooting, follow the steps I gave you and come back to me when you're done.
Don't forget to write down your MAC address if you're on your Wii right now.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I ran the entire ModMii but it never asked me for my MAC. I got my mac right here in a window though because I had to add it to my MAC filter list on my router.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...