Hardware Please help my Wii's drive

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my neighbor's wii was not reading discs. I thought it was the laser, so I went out and bought a laser for it. I installed it, and its still not reading discs. Now at some point, they had bootmii installed as well as homebrew channel. I don't know if they messed it permenantly, but its still not reading discs, even though its on virgin 4.3u. Why is it acting up like this, and what can I do to fix this?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zant said:
So my neighbor's wii was not reading discs. I thought it was the laser, so I went out and bought a laser for it. I installed it, and its still not reading discs. Now at some point, they had bootmii installed as well as homebrew channel. I don't know if they messed it permenantly, but its still not reading discs, even though its on virgin 4.3u. Why is it acting up like this, and what can I do to fix this?

You can't have boot mii and homebrew on a virgin wii, virgin means it hasn't been softmodded before, and bootmii and homebrew are both softmods.

How old is the Wii? most wiis disc drives fail over time. search how to replace wii disc drive on google.

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shano56 said:
zant said:

You can't have boot mii and homebrew on a virgin wii, virgin means it hasn't been softmodded before, and bootmii and homebrew are both softmods.

How old is the Wii? most wiis disc drives fail over time. search how to replace wii disc drive on google.
Well my wii and the neighbor's wii are both launch. I don't know why their drive would fail. I would think the laser would be the fix. Is there any solution to it that would not cost me any more money?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the drive suddenly failed, it's probably a hardware error. If it failed after something was installed/deleted/whatever, it may be a software failure.

Hardware = money.

sorry :/

zant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well they had Bootmii and priiloader on 4.2u, then upgraded to 4.3u stock and it wiped everything. I'm afraid some of the IOSs that control the drive got corrupted. Is there anyway to reflash a stock firmware?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
My launch Wii has a hard time reading discs, alot of times it will give me the Disc Read Error but if I eject the disc and reinsert it it will work. My sister also bought a Wii at launch and her dvd drive wont read games at all. Your drive has probably just worn out, if you had Wii Connect 24 it probably overheated your wii also increasing wear and tear. Just get a USB drive.

rigsbynation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definately the drive, softmods wouldn't cause this.
But FYI, there is more to a broken drive than a definite laser replacement.

For example if the laser is shining fine but not actually moving then its the motor for the laser arm.
If the laser is shining but the disc isn't spinning its the spindle motor.

Other than that, drive board and if thats the case may aswell just buy a used drive off ebay for about £30.

But as recommended anyway, dvd's are the old way, tell em to get with the times and get a hard drive, much more flexible set up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...