Won't fix Please do not force what we want on our Home screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Okay, so I have customized my home screen, and added a note that reminds me that I do not want to look at whatever the admins like, and put a link to the forum. I sticked it to the top left since I wanted it to stick up on the page since for me it is the most important thing that I want to see.

But apparently whoever designed the customization options had an *entirely* different idea of what I like for there to be, and decided to stick an UNREMOVABLE COLORFUL BANNER on the ABSOLUTE top of the page, even before my note. I would tolerate it if it was an ad banner, but it is exclusively what posts do the admins love so much to stick them up there.
And if you have a huge banner with flashing colors and huge text, and a small monocolor text below it, which will you notice first?

But no, the banner apparently HAS to stay there and ONLY there, as the option to move or delete it has been locked.

But first: Imagine you purchasing a home to stay in. You may customize it with what you want, put anything that you have wherever you want, but then there's a screen. A screen that purely displays ads with colors and cannot be used for anything else. You want to remove it for the space to put a bulletin board with your notes instead of it, but there's a lock that prevents any movement and a system that makes it next to impossible to just smash it with a hammer. So you own the home, but not the most noticeable part - the flashing ad screen.

This exact scenario is what the customize option is right now. Please tell me one person who actually used the panel that HAS to be on the top and didn't just go straight to the forums.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
But first: Imagine you purchasing a home to stay in. You may customize it with what you want, put anything that you have wherever you want, but then there's a screen. A screen that purely displays ads with colors and cannot be used for anything else.
You don't own a GBAtemp, though. It's more akin to staying in a hotel that has wall art that you dislike, and you can't take it down, because you're not the owner of the hotel and the hotel management decides what goes there...

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You don't own a GBAtemp, though. It's more akin to staying in a hotel that has wall art that you dislike, and you can't take it down, because you're not the owner of the hotel and the hotel management decides what goes there...
The wall art is *not* the first thing you see when you enter the room. And it certainly doesn't display flashy adverts on LCD screens.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please tell me another major (or major-ish) forum that allows you to completely customize your experience.

The way I see it GBAtemp has more customization options than just about any other website I go on.

And honestly this is not a productive way to have a conversation about features you are requesting of us.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can get many browser extensions that can block page elements you don't want to see. Most ad blockers will let you do this. Then you can tweak what you see to your hearts content.

Unfortunately we won't be altering our code just because one person dislikes what is shown.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Please tell me another major (or major-ish) forum that allows you to completely customize your experience.

The way I see it GBAtemp has more customization options than just about any other website I go on.

And honestly this is not a productive way to have a conversation about features you are requesting of us.
It's not about the customization options. It's about putting stuff we don't want to see on the first page we see and then not letting us remove it.
Reddit's first page you see is the main feed, which is a collection of posts from subreddits you subscribe to - therefore, it displays content that you're personally interested in, not what content do admins love.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
You can get many browser extensions that can block page elements you don't want to see. Most ad blockers will let you do this. Then you can tweak what you see to your hearts content.

Unfortunately we won't be altering our code just because one person dislikes what is shown.

on top of this @Ondrashek06 block the reply box too. it will fit your needs better Ondrashek06.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Reddit has trending categories, a big badge to try Reddit premium, and top gaming subs, as well as big banner ads--all of which cannot be turned off.
First of all, these are NOT the first things you see on the mobile app or on old.reddit.com (I do not use new reddit on PC).
Also, this is advertising and marketing, as Reddit needs to make money.
Plus, trending/top subs are a collection of what the COMMUNITY likes, which can actually be interesting content sometimes, and not just content that admins like so much.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, these are NOT the first things you see on the mobile app or on old.reddit.com (I do not use new reddit on PC).
Also, this is advertising and marketing, as Reddit needs to make money.
Plus, trending/top subs are a collection of what the COMMUNITY likes, which can actually be interesting content sometimes, and not just content that admins like so much.
I mean your opinions are your opinions. But as Shaun said you should be able to use adblock to block elements you want to hide. We can't fulfill every feature request - and this seems to be a pretty niche request.

Fast6191 uses adblock to specifically remove the like button for instance.

Let us know how that goes and perhaps you can share your work-around eventually.

I don't see any reason to keep this thread open further.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I fucking love AYA NEO HANDHELD PC™️ and don't forget to check out our impressions of STORY OF SEASONS™️ PIONEERS OF OLIVE TOWN®

aya-jpg.250154

sosfi-png.250208

I'm swimming in that sweet, sweet influencer cash!

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, if you can go to old.reddit.com instead of reddit.com - then I promise you can go to gbatemp.net/forums/ instead of gbatemp.net

or if /forums/ is too long and you want to see the latest stuff only:

gbatemp.net/new

just like the reddit link, it's 4 extra characters added (one symbol and three letters).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?