Let's say it again, most people use this website for the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I except to get thrown straight into the forums, but instead I get thrown on the "customizable" homepage. There is nothing customizable about it. The only thing that isn't just admin-promoted posts is your own notes, so I set the notes to link straight to the forums. However, I still have the huge "newsfeed" banner LOCKED on the top of the page and there's no way to either put it to the bottom or permanently remove it, as I do not care about it and it just distracts me from the forums.

If I actually cared about the admins' personal opinions, I would click on the "news and announcements" forums and read the threads on there.

Let's say it again: This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
If I wanted Nintendo news, I would read the DOZENS of other websites that repeat and milk the same exact message. Even a small, "stability" FW update has like 50 articles the second it releases. No need to add a 51st and shove it in my face. I already know.

Stop trying to repurpose this website to something else by shoving stuff in people's faces. Make a subdomain like "news.gbatemp.net" with this stuff for the people that are interested in it.

Also, STOP pushing "TempStyle n+1" on people that want to use older TempStyles. I never wanted to use 3.2, as I was used to 3, yet here I am using that. You'd expect the "theme" button to let you select "TempStyle Legacy" or something, instead it is just a dark/light theme selection.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I except to get thrown straight into the forums, but instead I get thrown on the "customizable" homepage. There is nothing customizable about it. The only thing that isn't just admin-promoted posts is your own notes, so I set the notes to link straight to the forums. However, I still have the huge "newsfeed" banner LOCKED on the top of the page and there's no way to either put it to the bottom or permanently remove it, as I do not care about it and it just distracts me from the forums.

If I actually cared about the admins' personal opinions, I would click on the "news and announcements" forums and read the threads on there.

Let's say it again: This is a site where you can discuss Nintendo products, and get advice on homebrew as it is the biggest forum that allows this stuff.
If I wanted Nintendo news, I would read the DOZENS of other websites that repeat and milk the same exact message. Even a small, "stability" FW update has like 50 articles the second it releases. No need to add a 51st and shove it in my face. I already know.

Stop trying to repurpose this website to something else by shoving stuff in people's faces. Make a subdomain like "news.gbatemp.net" with this stuff for the people that are interested in it.

Also, STOP pushing "TempStyle n+1" on people that want to use older TempStyles. I never wanted to use 3.2, as I was used to 3, yet here I am using that. You'd expect the "theme" button to let you select "TempStyle Legacy" or something, instead it is just a dark/light theme selection.
cloud.jpeg

Considering nobody has really taken your side on this maybe you should concede you are in a minority there.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Most def thanks! Will that also stop the random youtube videos?Like ones from homepage articles or random threads.
I just had a look on the Ghostwire news post: here
and checked the source. It should say autoplay=1 in the link if it's set to autoplay... so it almost sounds like it's some "feature" or bug in your browser if videos auto play 🤨
1644337749142.png

Reactions: shaunj66

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay. But there is already a feature that lets you customize your homepage & add/remove "boxes" from it. Unlocking the top panel isn't a "huge overhaul", I think it is literally just 1 parameter in the code to unlock it.
Is it that hard to understand that world does not revolve around you?
If something bothers you, find a solution on client side aka your OWN computer. I get annoyed by stuff on the internet all the time, but nobody will change all internet sites according to my personal wishes. I advise my own computers to do things after my wishes and unsurprisingly the silicon slaves obey.

You have been told a few possibilities:
Seems you don't like the front page "portal" with the news and all that stuff. Why do you insist on more customization on portal? It is literally that easy, even on a new machine not having a bookmark. "https://gbatemp.net/forums/" is not much longer to type than ""https://gbatemp.net/"

I'm surprised that the staff has this much patience with the topic instead of simply locking the thread and saying: "Enough."

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is Temp is my source of news just as my source of new hacks/cfw for PS4/PS5 & Switch
The recent content tab has always been extremely useful to use aswell b/c you can easily jump right into that category of your personal recommendations feed. I came here for information and the "Know how" not what a forum looks like, but to each their own.

I'm not making excuses for temp, but since this site is very well known on the web its going to have a different appearance or navigation layouts than your average forum site that only cares about ad revenue and make little to no changes.

Reactions: Chary

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had a look on the Ghostwire news post: here
and checked the source. It should say autoplay=1 in the link if it's set to autoplay... so it almost sounds like it's some "feature" or bug in your browser if videos auto play 🤨
View attachment 297286
Im using chrome and safari on iOS so not completely sure what would cause it

I use other xenforo sites using the same update and here is the only place they auto play

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is Temp is my source of news just as my source of new hacks/cfw for PS4/PS5 & Switch
The recent content tab has always been extremely useful to use aswell b/c you can easily jump right into that category of your personal recommendations feed. I came here for information and the "Know how" not what a forum looks like, but to each their own.

I'm not making excuses for temp, but since this site is very well known on the web its going to have a different appearance or navigation layouts than your average forum site that only cares about ad revenue and make little to no changes.
lol I was say WFt people talking but "ads" I don't get any ads on GBATEMP... Then I remember I'm a Patron Member...
Remember Folks Support your friendly neighborhood Hacking news/ Gaming website!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
well the replies of pretty much everybody barring the OP has made me happy to read as mag staff

so thanks people, you are appreciated.
Fact, the Temp is better with Mag staff. I get my gaming news here because I know it's going to be the best.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As someone who used a web browser for the first time in 1993, I astounded when I see youngsters who presumably have been using them all their lives not know how to properly bookmark a page. Maybe a little less Pokémon and a little more "how to use the Web" tutorials going forward?
When I type "gbatemp.net" into the address bar, I except to get thrown straight into the forums, but instead I ...

NitroXL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

from what I got, you want a website redesign, while yes it is kinda annoying to head to the weird homepage, it would be better to just have a customization thingy instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto