PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait why are people stating they already updated their ps4?
Doesn't everyone have multiples of consoles in their Closet, one to play with and the other one frozen in time to wait for a valid Jailbreak?
Little brothers/sisters, cats, dogs, imaginary friend, step mom/dad, that lego block we stepped on, and that crazy kid Timmy seem to always update our consoles by accident.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little brothers/sisters, cats, dogs, imaginary friend, step mom/dad, that lego block we stepped on, and that crazy kid Timmy seem to always update our consoles by accident.
sure for everyones primary console..!!
but what about the 2nd ps4 pro that you have sealed in the closet?

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure for everyones primary console..!!
but what about the 2nd ps4 pro that you have sealed in the closet?

It boils down to finances some people are only able to afford 1 system. I have 6 switches, 2 PS4, an Xbox One and 2 gaming laptops and let's not forget about the handhelds ... not many people have the luxary of having multiple systems so they have to have only one... do they play online or jailbreak and stay offline. (Really hard decision) PS3 era I ended up wiping off my CFW PS3 just to play online and I ended up buying another PS3 in the future with CFW

To me personally OFW > will ALWAYS be better than CFW.

CFW is nice don't get me wrong where you can store all your games and updates but playing online with your friends CFW doesn't offer that

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I stay at 5.05 fw, do I still need backport for everything I play or what?

Just wait... if the stability is better on 9.00 it's better you update I'm waiting I'm not in a rush this is pretty good because all PS4 games can be played now so this is a big accomplishment!

If I didn't own the majority of my PS4 games I would be all over this

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I stay at 5.05 fw, do I still need backport for everything I play or what?
backport, yes. it's suggested you stay on 5.05, because it's less of a hassle and it's still more stable. once you update, unless you make preparations, there will be no going back.

edit: this is what I was told by developers themselves as I'm on one of their discord channels.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Affect PS5 also?!
Any news on this?

Read this from the first page:

The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

Teddyfay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
I have been trying to jailbreak my 9.00 ps4 for a little while now but I keep running into a "kernel heap" error. it's a dead end, tried over and over, same message every single time. Any help? please.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What HB is recommended for PS4? Does it have advantages over Switch? Is it better off mining crypto with, or does something like RetroArch give it a better emulation experience.

Any way to play PS3 games? Lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...