roice2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i need your experience.
i heard some peoples modchip get faulty really quick,

After few weeks oder some month the chip dont work anymore. They play everyday and maybe the chip overheat and then their switch wont boot on anymore.

does that happens very often?
Do you guys have to change the chip every now and then? Does somebody here usw the Modchip for years and play everyday without trouble?

would be really glad to hear your experiences?

cowboy619

Trophies
XP
Country
i need your experience.
i heard some peoples modchip get faulty really quick,

After few weeks oder some month the chip dont work anymore. They play everyday and maybe the chip overheat and then their switch wont boot on anymore.

does that happens very often?
Do you guys have to change the chip every now and then? Does somebody here usw the Modchip for years and play everyday without trouble?

would be really glad to hear your experiences?
Most likely bad soldering / dry joints - Ive had hwfly and tx mod chips for over 3 years. No issues

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also use thinner enamel wires on oleds, except for the 3V and gnd. Thicker wires can (and have) result(ed) in unsuccessful glitches for oleds.
What are u talking about for 3v and gnd u can use 0.1mm I've done all my install like that and also tested if there is a differein in glitching and I can tell u there is 0 difference

twins333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What are u talking about for 3v and gnd u can use 0.1mm I've done all my install like that and also tested if there is a differein in glitching and I can tell u there is 0 difference
Well, my modder friend used thicker insulated wires on an oled, but had issues with slow emmc init. switched to enameled wires and it booted right up.

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, my modder friend used thicker insulated wires on an oled, but had issues with slow emmc init. switched to enameled wires and it booted right up.

That is because he needs stronger resistors for dat0/cmd. Using thinner and longer wire may tip the install just over the edge to work, but it is the wrong solution to the problem.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Thanks for this, I never thought the lcd connector would be the problem since I had the no sd screen and blue screen before. But I verified the soldering on the SP1 pads and a wire had come loose. Fixed that, reattached picofly and actually got successful glitch (blue then short yellow), but nothing on screen. I guess after removing and reattaching the board to diagnose I seem to have damaged the connector, maybe with the tweezers. I tried the fiber glass brush but still no continuity on the multimeter.

Two questions:

Since the pico manages to glitch as far as I can tell, how dead may the console be? (Checked all the caps around both chips you mentioned and found no shorts).

And also, it's not possible for a bad connector to cause a blue screen, right? It would either display or not display, not throw an error, right?

EDIT: Third question, I just found out that if that ribbon is gone, so is the whole lcd. Any way to use jumper wires to fix that scratch?
Did you try using docking station to see if you get anything on screen (with pico removed)?

Reactions: roxzii

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've prove by data that, adding mosfet or changing the resistor value, wont affect the glitching time.

So just like what i always said in the beginning, 1 mosfet is enough.

If the glitch didn't happened, than problem lay on other aspect.
I respect a man who backs up his claims by data. So glitching time is just on a console-to-console basis irrelevant to how a modchip was installed? (wire length, mosfet amount, etc)
Hello!
I tried the backside FET method on OLED, but all i get is this error:
"CPU always reach BCT check (no glitch reaction, checkmosfet)"
I'm using the IRFHS8242. Already tried another FET incase it was broken but still same.
Using fw 2.73.

Any suggestions?
See mine for comparison, You can't have too much solder when it comes to MOSFETs.
Post automatically merged:

No. Quit bullshitting, thanks.

I would measure the G/cpu point on the rp2040 and make sure it isn't shorted to ground somehow.
Does this point give a 0.5-0.9 value? It never does in my succeed installs. I've always wondered what test I can do on my MOSFETs to make sure it's solid.

Attachments

• 2023_07_08_21_20_24_374.jpeg
    2023_07_08_21_20_24_374.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Danook28

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
You really think I would ask that question? Tut tut tut

0b49bc49ac578eb8500be1caae55788a.gif

I'm sure I read the length of wires makes a difference. This is a timing mod and exploit after all. Plus manufacturer of the nand chip.
Hhhhhhh that awsome mate. Dont worry about my replay.ask and well replay you.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well then ur moffer friend doesnt know his shit .............
he might get in this thread so he ,learns a thing or two :-)
slow emmc has something to do with resistors not wire :-)

so maybe tell ur friend to visit us ;-):rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

That is because he needs stronger resistors for dat0/cmd. Using thinner and longer wire may tip the install just over the edge to work, but it is the wrong solution to the problem.
thanks

Last edited by Dee87,

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Does this point give a 0.5-0.9 value? It never does in my succeed installs. I've always wondered what test I can do on my MOSFETs to make sure it's solid.
Gives nothing. Only 0,5V reversed to ground(red lead gnd)
I also added more solder to everything.

Did i miss something, like a resistor somewhere etc.? All i think is needed is just the fet.

twins333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
well then ur moffer friend doesnt know his shit .............
he might get in this thread so he ,learns a thing or two :-)
slow emmc has something to do with resistors not wire :-)

so maybe tell ur friend to visit us ;-):rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

thanks
why so much hostility? he added two 47ohm resistors to clk, dat0 and cmd. the thing that worked was to switch to thinner enamel wires, as oposed to insulated ones. that was his first oled with picofly.

He likes insulated wires, just to be sure the enamel isn't scratched if the switch is dropped. shouldn't happen if the wires are secured with the uv resin, but to each his own. he did my 2 v2 switches with insulated and it worked just fine.

Last edited by twins333,

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello!
I tried the backside FET method on OLED, but all i get is this error:
"CPU always reach BCT check (no glitch reaction, checkmosfet)"
I'm using the IRFHS8242. Already tried another FET incase it was broken but still same.
Using fw 2.73.

Any suggestions?
Solved the problem!
I put two fets in parallel. And also it boots under 2 seconds.

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solved the problem!
I put two fets in parallel. And also it boots under 2 seconds.
More and more the "two fets" and the "more solder" fixes are starting to make me think it's simply a resistance issue when the glitch is failing. Better soldering, different solder (low-temp leaded vs higher temp unleaded), different wire thicknesses and materials (copper/silver/aluminum), all these things have an effect when we're talking about the speeds and timings these glitches are needing to occur at.

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
More and more the "two fets" and the "more solder" fixes are starting to make me think it's simply a resistance issue when the glitch is failing. Better soldering, different solder (low-temp leaded vs higher temp unleaded), different wire thicknesses and materials (copper/silver/aluminum), all these things have an effect when we're talking about the speeds and timings these glitches are needing to occur at.
Yea, so to make it fail free install, people should always use two fets.
About the extra resistors, 100R instead of 47R, is there really any disadvantage from using always 100R for both? I have uses 100R/100R/68R for all installs and no problems so far. I think now i've done 9 or 10 mods with picofly so far.

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Yea, so to make it fail free install, people should always use two fets.
About the extra resistors, 100R instead of 47R, is there really any disadvantage from using always 100R for both? I have uses 100R/100R/68R for all installs and no problems so far. I think now i've done 9 or 10 mods with picofly so far.

I use 100/100/47 for all mine, no issues, no reason to use anything else

Reactions: Takezo-San

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.