Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank, do you recommend I do the wire or the blob for the sake of testing? I am waiting on my solder mask and microscope before I do anything
in this case, i would aplly solder mask on every ground contact and leave clk trace and via exposed. Then aplly some flux on it and low temperature melt solder paste (try to create a bulb to connect both). if it doesn´t work, cut a small piece of copper wire and use it has a bridge. Dont use a solder iron, it´s easier with a heat gun. Dont forget to put some kapton tape to prevent some solder ball to get under the CPU.

Reactions: nitrozz

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting the ==* mosfet error on my rear-soldered mosfet. Is there a way to further diagnose the error, such as low current or something? Or can I only just keep redoing and redoing the joints?

Thanks for any help!
PXL_20240213_170352936.jpg

_kedo_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I'm getting the ==* mosfet error on my rear-soldered mosfet. Is there a way to further diagnose the error, such as low current or something? Or can I only just keep redoing and redoing the joints?

Thanks for any help!
Put your mosfet closer to capacitor and use thicker wires for source and drain

Reactions: Crung

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put your mosfet closer to capacitor and use thicker wires for source and drain
I'll try that once this 30 awg (instead of 40 awg) arrives. What's the advantage or reasoning behind that? I see it posted but I don't understand what the mosfet is doing that requires certain thicknesses. Presumably to have the lowest possible resistance?

DumbSolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in this case, i would aplly solder mask on every ground contact and leave clk trace and via exposed. Then aplly some flux on it and low temperature melt solder paste (try to create a bulb to connect both). if it doesn´t work, cut a small piece of copper wire and use it has a bridge. Dont use a solder iron, it´s easier with a heat gun. Dont forget to put some kapton tape to prevent some solder ball to get under the CPU.
it's fine too if I apply solder mask to the cpu area to prevent solder from getting in there?

_kedo_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I'll try that once this 30 awg (instead of 40 awg) arrives. What's the advantage or reasoning behind that? I see it posted but I don't understand what the mosfet is doing that requires certain thicknesses. Presumably to have the lowest possible resistance?
MOSFET shorts power rail of boot processor to cause a glitch. In pulse it handles 20-40A, so you need to use short and thick wires. 0.2 mm wire is good for this job.

Last edited by _kedo_,

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
In your picture, the upper joint in the cap might be a cold joint since sometimes the enamel on the wire does not burn and the wire is just traped inside the solder joint while still insulated. The other points are not making good contact as well.
You should skip the wire and press the mosfet to the cap and solder directly.
See the pic (sorry for the quality).

Attachments

• 20230811_182241.jpg
    20230811_182241.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 23

DumbSolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1707886662812.png

This is where I am at right now, I am going to do the low melt solder paste route with 36 awg wire

Last edited by DumbSolder,
Reactions: Danook28

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Congratulations, you did a good job preparing the motherboard for track recovery. Now it's time to wait for the next step to be executed with carefully in order to achieve success. Yes, you can put a small amount of solder mask to prevent anything from getting under the cpu. Pay attention to the thickness of the wire, the thinner the better.

Reactions: DumbSolder

DumbSolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations, you did a good job preparing the motherboard for track recovery. Now it's time to wait for the next step to be executed with carefully in order to achieve success. Yes, you can put a small amount of solder mask to prevent anything from getting under the cpu. Pay attention to the thickness of the wire, the thinner the better.
it worked but it's a purple screen:rofl:

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Before I do that, it gets normal readings. Should I reflow it regardless?
The purple screen is a problem usually related to a failure of the 4.7K resistor at the point where the CMD is soldered. Normally it is resolved by replacing it. Can you post a image of it ?

GelmerB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am getting blue flashing light on pico and eventually glitches but takes a while. I used 2x 47ohm resistor on cmd and dat0.

any suggestions?

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Its a v2, does that change anything?

Check the cmd line or the cpu flex line. Make sure they are solid connections.

Some emmc such as Toshiba tends to have long glitching time from my experience (takes between 60seconds max) double check that also if you have toshiba emmc.

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its a v2, does that change anything?
Did you used flex on CPU ? wires on the other points ? Post some pictures please. I allways get instant boot on every v1 & V2 (Picofly, HWfly, Seed Xiao)
Post automatically merged:

it flew away to the 9th dimension, im trying to look for replacements.
thats why you are having a purple screen. You really need to improve your solders skills if you pretend to go on with this kind of project.

Last edited by Viktorsilva,
Reactions: DumbSolder

DumbSolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you used flex on CPU ? wires on the other points ? Post some pictures please. I allways get instant boot on every v1 & V2 (Picofly, HWfly, Seed Xiao)
Post automatically merged:

thats why you are having a purple screen. You really need to improve your solders squils if you pretend to go on with this kind of project.
Yeah I should've covered the surrounding area to prevent killing it in the first place but yeah it flew away when I grabbed it with my tweezers. I ordered 0201 4.7k resistors.

Also should I buy capacitors just in case? or is the blown resistor the only reason for the purple screen? I think I read a busted emmc chip can cause a purple screen and if that were the case then I could always boot to hakete and install and boot to linux or windows right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream... +1