Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

TheBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
A friend sent these to me. I only tested the adapter on an old HWFLY modchip and its giving me conflicting results. I'm still waiting for my batch of rp2040 tiny to arrive tomorrow or after tomorrow to fully test on a fresh console.
I like the idea! You could use rp2040 tiny to eliminate those giant 0805 package resistors and you could use back mosfet locations to unnecessarily opening apu shield. This way everything can be on back side of the board and as a bonus you can decrease flex cables to one piece.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I like the idea! You could use rp2040 tiny to eliminate those giant 0805 package resistors and you could use back mosfet locations to unnecessarily opening apu shield. This way everything can be on back side of the board and as a bonus you can decrease flex cables to one piece.
My friend everything was accounted for, it isn't just for show. Resistor pads are crucial part of the design to make it easy to solder resistors when required. The design is meant specifically for RP2040 Tiny as I teased it last month, but could also be used with Zero. In the case of Zero you can neatly add them here while the Tiny you can add the extra ones when required.

I thought of doing one flex holding everything but that would be a bad design as different thicknesses are required and people might want to use different type of modchips so having the adapter separate makes it useful for more people.

Feel free to do back mosfet. I will only finalize the current design I've made.

Reactions: achm3t

Ravenext

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Most likely put some kapton ape on the chip for isolation. With the backplate it will be probably shorted.
I redid the kapton tape and now it functions even with back plate on (I still have like 5 screws of the metal shield removed because I got too lazy). So yeah, thanks for making me re-check the tape.

Now only problem with this is that SysMMC and OFW goes to a black screen and does not work, but that's... fine. EmuMMC works perfectly well.

Edit: I can now access SysMMC and OFW. My eMMC was SK Hynix and was known to not play well with the Flex cable. 30 minutes of Direct Soldering via Enameled Copper Wire later and Its working.

Last edited by Ravenext,
Reactions: QuiTim

heinrich_frei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
An error occurs when using rp2040 zero "*== No eMMC CMD1 request (poor wiring, or dead CPU)", OFW is loading. But if I solder the old hwfly, then everything works fine. I've tried different rp2040 zero, all works in other Nintendo Switch

Last edited by heinrich_frei,

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
So, I installed the flex on a brand new Switch and it glitches fine, not sure why its giving me messed up RGB.
Though I have several remarks,
1) Adapter needs to be below 0.1mm for comfortable installation for that I made a single layer adapter but will not be be compatible with the master flex. I will try to remake it at a later time.
2) There's too much stress on RST point, I feel the tension could tear it. Solution: bend it before you install, this way you relieve some stress, or better soldermask like I did.
3) CPU attachment needs to be longer to relieve stress on flex.

There will be a follow up revision that address these.

Attachments

• 1c8ee9ae-d475-43b3-b3e2-1515b2aec9f0.JPG
    1c8ee9ae-d475-43b3-b3e2-1515b2aec9f0.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 30
  • 126277e5-7f9a-4816-8bf2-b7de0d5a89fd.JPG
    126277e5-7f9a-4816-8bf2-b7de0d5a89fd.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 466947a9-1a98.MP4
    4.1 MB

karatefeet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had an oled that glitched really slowly. anything between 10 seconds to a minute. mosfet on the back. Added another mosfet on the back - no change. Added a mosfet on the apu (so 3 mosfets in total) - still no change. disconnected mosfets on the back and only used the one on apu - boom, 3 second glitch every time.
most other oleds I've done have one on the back and glitch fast every time.
The point of the anecdote is that changing things around can make a difference in unexpected ways.
Has anyone figured out what factors affect the glitch time? From my experience I know the thickness of wire on the APU caps does but now with OLEDS and installing a single mosfet on the back I’m also getting different results.

Yesterday, had one that took forever to glitch. Moved the mosfet to the MAX ic location and still no improvement. Gave up and went with the cpu flex and almost instant glitch times.
Today, with another OLED went back and used the SAME mosfet on the back and this one glitches super quick.
I know it’s not the brand of eMMC as both were Samsung.

BlueBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing adapter first, then emmc. Seems more logical, and it's a good idea to not expose the emmc to more heat than necessary. So the workflow is as follows:

- detach emmc from mainboard
- clean mainboard with solder wick
- clean emmc with solder wick
- reball emmc
- reball adapter (on the bottom side)
- attach adapter to mainboard
- attach emmc to adapter
Did you still add resistors to the picofly?just about to finish up with the install and wanted to double check.

BlueBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally use rp2040-zero, so yes, 100/100/47 on it. When i used rp2040-tiny i added 47ohm extra on dat0+cmd
I figured they were still used but wasn’t sure. Just finished the install and got the correct sequence of lights! 🙌🏼 thank god lol. I thought this one wouldn’t be able to be modded because I tore the pad off CLK. So happy to finally have a modded OLED.

Reactions: deeps

theneogeo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, newbie here. YES I did reaearch before posting, but I got the HYfly on my OLED, and when I power chip, it flashes yellow/red mix 13 times then it resets and does this in a loop. I've left for 2 hours and nothing. Anyone come acress this?
I tested the solder points as shown on youtube and everything was reading as it should, including the emmc chip solder point

CarlosCruz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Lot of time but a easy work that second time done. @abal1000x

Attachments

• A11.jpg
    A11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • A10.jpg
    A10.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • A9.jpg
    A9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • A8.jpg
    A8.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 24
  • A7.jpg
    A7.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 21
  • A6.jpg
    A6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • A12.jpg
    A12.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • Love
Reactions: abal1000x

nitrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i flashed my picofly-one with 2.75 but after that i reconnect and is not showing again in file manager even pressing boot button. how to check if is ok?

edit: nvm solved

Last edited by nitrozz,

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, what does this mean?

LED goes from blue to blinking yellow, and I'm stuck in sysNAND even though it should boot to Hekate.
I had someone else install it for me, so I'm not even sure what kind of chip it is.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hi everyone, what does this mean?

LED goes from blue to blinking yellow, and I'm stuck in sysNAND even though it should boot to Hekate.
I had someone else install it for me, so I'm not even sure what kind of chip it is.
Is it an Oled model? Looks like =* dat0 not connected

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Sorry, I forgot to say the most important thing. Yes, it is an OLED.
Most likely the dat0 adapter lost contact.
Since you don't do this kind of installations yourself you will need send it back to the installer and tell him to fix the dat0 point. If possible he should do it properly by setting a permanent dat0 point (reball the emmc).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1