ROM Hack photo channel 1.1 will not play .mov and .avi files for me

yogirlalyssa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have photo channel 1.1 on my nintendo wii. but it's being very naughty and says for both .avi and .mov files it says "this video format is not supported. check the wii operations manual for more details."
i just want to play movies like RIGHT NOW but my wii ain't LETTING ME!!! :(

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. to be honest, this is the first time that i heard the photo channel would play videos.
2. if and only if this is true, i would suspect only video, which are produced by cameras (remember, the wii takes sd cards used in cameras and i think that was the major use case)
3. cameras of that time either produced mpg or mov, which both mean licensing money to be payed. some produced avi, but surely not divx or xvid
4. avi is a generic container. the most propular video codecs are divx and xvid, and i bet my money that nintendo would never ever support divx or xvid in their commercial product

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

idkwhereisthisname

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
idkwhereisthisname.github.io
XP
Country
Italy
1. to be honest, this is the first time that i heard the photo channel would play videos.
2. if and only if this is true, i would suspect only video, which are produced by cameras (remember, the wii takes sd cards used in cameras and i think that was the major use case)
3. cameras of that time either produced mpg or mov, which both mean licensing money to be payed. some produced avi, but surely not divx or xvid
4. avi is a generic container. the most propular video codecs are divx and xvid, and i bet my money that nintendo would never ever support divx or xvid in their commercial product
and if the video that OP wanted to play is an entire movie, i really doubt the Wii can play it

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I believe early digital cameras did this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_JPEG
It is not even a real video codec and needs an awful lot of space for low resolution.

Awesome memories, but not real useful nowadays.
==============

@yogirlalyssa You will have more luck playing media files with WiiMC-SS on a modded Wii → [GitHub repo]

This supports a variety of video codes. MPEG-2 (used for example in DVD video) will play perfectly. While it opens the very common h.264 videos, the CPU in the Wii is too weak for decoding 720p or even higher (might or might not work with SD quality). Problem is that the Wii has no hardware decoder for h.264 (opposed to pretty much any weak device today – even Raspberry Pi 1b decodes 1080p videos without trouble).

Your other thread here is probably related:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-convert-mp4-and-mp3-files-to-mpeg-and-aac-files-offline.644521/

Transcoding video is a very CPU and/or GPU intense task. Unlikely for it to run in a browser (possible, but… nah). There is free software such as ffmepg or if you prefer a graphical user interface Handbrake. Be warned that neither plain ffmpeg nor Handbrake are beginner friendly. Quite technical applications. But they are very, very powerful (and has options to go down to MPEG-2)
GHB.png

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: mrgone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol