Phantasy Star Nova Translation [We need your help!]

image.jpeg

:arrow: Patch updated! See http://arks-layer.com/nova.php for the latest version and help on installing it.

Current status of Nova translation:

- Game dumped, modification possible ✔
- CPK file successfully repacked ✔
- Files modified, patching possible! ✔
- Proof of concept created! LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD! ✔
- Finish with our new fontmap tool so we can do a proper textdump and find out where all these strings are hiding! ✔

To do:

- Translate stuff! \ o /

Feel free to join our discord channel: https://discord.gg/PSO2

Thanks for reading, and here's to more vita games being translated! o/

Last edited by AIDA,

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Man... NOVA with this translation might finally be my time to return to Phantasy Star, loved PSO! played it on PC/Dreamcast and even loved the 4 player split-screen on GameCube, got into Universe for awhile but never had the same appeal as the original.

I tried PSO2 early on while English Translation was early (before the tweaker that takes care of all the heavy lifting), I patch it up every now and again but never actually sit down to play it :( not put more then 3/4 hours into it since its an MMO and Japanese based servers I guess kinda puts me off since people always worried about bans even though I don't think it was ever a think.

Anime almost got me to try playing again but then I read it starts you on Episode 3 of the story or something? does that still have tutorials? I didn't learn enough about PSO2 when I did try it, would need to start over, but this isn't about PSO2.

NOVA seems to be a Singleplayer focused game and I'm all for that for dipping my toes back into Phantasy Star, maybe it will make me want to try getting into PSO2 again.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,
Reactions: Abu_Senpai

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dang, doesn't appear to have worked for me on PSTV. :(
  • Extracted "Nova_EnglishPatch_9_22_2016_v003.cpk"
  • Placed in "/ux0:/app/PCSG00351"
  • Fired up game and made it to main menu after intro movie
  • Nothing appears translated. :(
LxMMF9N.png

• Tried the patch/ folder method as well just to be sure, but that didn't work either. :(
ywzQoX9.png

Did I mess up something super obvious?

EDIT:

I'm using VT2.0 + 1.05 Update VT2.0 + DLC, all i had to to was to give the translation cpk a proper name to work.

Installing patches usualy don't belong to /ux0:/app/<titleid> and vpk don't use /ux0:/patch/<titleid>

Swapping out .sfo doesn't work bcuz app.db doesn't get updated, install process will read .sfo and makes proper entries.

Using the wrong install process might delete game files, so check if all files are present or create a proper .vpk.

If the patch notes are not on title screen ingame, try renaming the file to NOVA_FileList_Vita_patch2.cpk.

Just played a half n hour, waiting for more translation :thumbs up:

Ok, started fresh everything and this post helped me get there... Thanks. Menus are now translated. :)

Last edited by sTo0z,

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
is there anyway to patch the game to switch x-o rather than having to do it on your console then switch back for a normal game?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
is there anyway to patch the game to switch x-o rather than having to do it on your console then switch back for a normal game?
i guess so, but that would be a deeper hack.
you could remap in the vita settings but yeah that is not real, since in a localization it would only be the confirmation buttons that are changed, not 'everything'.
since, if X should be jump, it would not be O, which would be strange since it should be the same in usa/jpn/eur, it's just the 'yes'/'no' that would be different.

but yeah they could do it if they wanted to i guess.

tenkai_2.0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not anymore. You can use PSP-mode exploits on 3.52, but everything interesting is happening on 3.60.
ok last question! If i do this i can still play new vita games correct? or will new games require me to update to the latest firmware?

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ok last question! If i do this i can still play new vita games correct? or will new games require me to update to the latest firmware?
New games will require an update, but staying on 3.60 and getting a PSTV or another vita would be well worth it imo the vita scene has exploded since henkaku was released for 3.60

Kazzoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a coincidence. I've been playing Nova for nearly 10 hours on my vita and have just seen this thread regarding a fan translation.
Unfortunately I'm to capable of truly helping the cause but if you didn't know there are a shitload of cutscenes in this game, most of which are just scenes of characters standing around talking to each other but there is a ton of dialogue exchanged in these scenes. I generally skip them.

If I could offer any advice I'd say that item and tutorial prompts are most valuable. I'm still missing an item to get the specific gun I want and I have no clue where to get it.
Though I'm sure the same could have been said about PSO2's early translations.

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
What a coincidence. I've been playing Nova for nearly 10 hours on my vita and have just seen this thread regarding a fan translation.
Unfortunately I'm to capable of truly helping the cause but if you didn't know there are a shitload of cutscenes in this game, most of which are just scenes of characters standing around talking to each other but there is a ton of dialogue exchanged in these scenes. I generally skip them.

If I could offer any advice I'd say that item and tutorial prompts are most valuable. I'm still missing an item to get the specific gun I want and I have no clue where to get it.

the movies are just mp4 so it would be easy to add english subs over the top of the japanese subs.

if you are capable of translating the cutscenes into english please let us know and i would be happy to send you my download link to the mp4s then maybe you could translate them and write in in a text file for me to see about creating a subtitle file thanks.
if you are willing to do this please have the name of the mp4 in the text file then to make it easy have each line of text represent a single line in the mp4.

Last edited by RazorX2014,

AIDA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arks-layer.com
XP
Country

Oh, nice! And yep, that's what we're doing first - Inventory stuff/Enemies/Skills, essentially gameplay stuff. I'm starting on the tutorials now, they're going to be a pain, but do-able.

the movies are just mp4 so it would be easy to add english subs over the top of the japanese subs.

if you are capable of translating the cutscenes into english please let us know and i would be happy to send you my download link to the mp4s then maybe you could translate them and write in in a text file for me to see about creating a subtitle file thanks.
if you are willing to do this please have the name of the mp4 in the text file then to make it easy have each line of text represent a single line in the mp4.

Hey Razor! I appreciate the initiative, but once we've mapped out the basic story, I'll be doing the subtitles for the videos myself. I have some experience in doing so. (See https://goo.gl/AUzEkA, https://goo.gl/FkqxJu, and http://goo.gl/uS3qRG for old examples.)

If anyone does want to translate the pre-rendered cut scenes though, we'd appreciate it! (Or we can do it when we get there).

Last edited by AIDA,

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, nice! And yep, that's what we're doing first - Inventory stuff/Enemies/Skills, essentially gameplay stuff. I'm starting on the tutorials now, they're going to be a pain, but do-able.

Hey Razor! I appreciate the initiative, but once we've mapped out the basic story, I'll be doing the subtitles for the videos myself. I have some experience in doing so. (See https://goo.gl/AUzEkA, https://goo.gl/FkqxJu, and http://goo.gl/uS3qRG for old examples.)

If anyone does want to translate the pre-rendered cut scenes though, we'd appreciate it! (Or we can do it when we get there).
np

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
if anyone needs or wants to extract there cpk files here is a compiled CriPakTools with a bat file i made to auto detect a cpk file thats in the folder and ask you to confirm the file is correct then create a "extracted" folder if it doesnt already exist then extract the files.

Download

Zeiram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not working for me at all. I am following the instructions to a T. I installed the main VPK file followed by the update found herehttps://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy...min_20_phantasy_star_nova_update_105_all_dlc/, I then take the latest english patch and unzip it and put the cpk into ux0:\app\PCSG00351, I fire up the game and it is just the standard Japanese version. What am I missing?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dang, doesn't appear to have worked for me on PSTV. :(
  • Extracted "Nova_EnglishPatch_9_22_2016_v003.cpk"
  • Placed in "/ux0:/app/PCSG00351"
  • Fired up game and made it to main menu after intro movie
  • Nothing appears translated. :(
LxMMF9N.png

• Tried the patch/ folder method as well just to be sure, but that didn't work either. :(
ywzQoX9.png

Did I mess up something super obvious?

EDIT:

Ok, started fresh everything and this post helped me get there... Thanks. Menus are now translated. :)
What did you do?

Zeiram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the post, the answer is in the part where he quoted me...
English is kind of broken and some makes little sense to me. At the moment I am doing a fresh install and finished installing the update. I am going to try renaming the english cpk and dumping it in the uxo:/app/pcsg00351. Is that what you did or am I missing something?

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@dkabot MULTIKILL hehe

Yeah, guess someone did this after the project started.
Hopefully someone can clean that up and not murder me when doing so.
But yeah, nice to see it can be found now; took three weeks for me to get the eval SDK for a copy of my own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-