Hacking PegaSwitch Timing Stifled More Than Helped Scene

Xplic1T

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I keep hearing people bitch and complain about why dev's don't release their exploits publicly as soon as they are found and I think the release of PegaSwitch will forever be a classic example of what happens when people aren't patient.

Awesome... week 2 and we have a great hack with full blown jop calling within the first week of the consoles release ... Pretty cool right !?!? Nope ... because Nintendo patched the webkit vulnerability the very next week with fw update 2.1 and now people are forced to remain on 2.0 indefinitely. We can't pick which fw we want to update to if we happen to buy a new console so hardly anybody will be working on this. Yes ... next batch of game carts will probably work on 2.0 but the newer stuff definitely wont. Now we're back to the waiting game to see if anything else will surface, instead of waiting until some real progress was made.

Let's hope the next hack is kept quiet until we get unsigned code running ... then release away !

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Xplic1T,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO it's not worth it to keep your switch on 2.0 - almost no one has 2.0, and no one is going to develop for a fw that is outdated and underused.

I will update my switch regularly for the first year or so, and maybe if some solid exploits are rumored by then I will hold off at that point.

If you're buying a console near launch for homebrew/backups you are gonna have a bad time.

Xplic1T

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo pays people to hack their system someone would have eventually found this exploit

Who knows ... either way it was patched immediately ... the right course of action would of been to release when the new fw (which breaks it) gets released. Then people who haven't updated yet could use it ... would of been a greater amount of people than those currently on 2.0

Swan1360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I'm just happy people are choosing the homebrew side of things, rather then doing the smart thing and reporting to Nintendo

Reactions: x65943

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well until nintendo finish making the system complete, i wouldn't worry about homebrew right now, especially since is too early. Hoping maybe get least some media apps, like youtube, running HD and 60FPS, maybe twitch app, or streaming from with in the system, i wish it just had a media player for music, videos and pictures, maybe have a video editor, picture editor and music maker/editor. I dunno, the way it is now is too basic for anything, i only played 3 games so far, two which i like, but as soon as more dlc for blaster master zero comes out i'll be playing switch again, or maybe finish shovel knight, not in the mood to finish zelda breath of the wild. Other than playing a game on that thing, is not much to do.

3ds has more things to do with no memory card or game, it has least ar games and 3ds sound for music and pictures, and the mii and even the download play even nintendo zone. Wii u least had wii u video calling (Did anyone ever use that? A web browser, and on demand streaming like netflix, hulu, youtube, amazon prime, and crunchy roll, even if you didn't have a game you can still do SOMETHING with it, on switch is either have a game or put it back in a box until you get one. I can only take looking cool so far, until someone ask me "So what games you got?' I instantly look silly. "I'll tell you in a few months." :ninja:

Reactions: Arcanuskun

Xplic1T

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly I'm just happy people are choosing the homebrew side of things, rather then doing the smart thing and reporting to Nintendo

Here Here! Let's hope something is found ... hopefully some skilled devs have 2.0 or there's some nand reflash guide.

Well until nintendo finish making the system complete, i wouldn't worry about homebrew right now, especially since is too early. Hoping maybe get least some media apps, like youtube, running HD and 60FPS, maybe twitch app, or streaming from with in the system, i wish it just had a media player for music, videos and pictures, maybe have a video editor, picture editor and music maker/editor. I dunno, the way it is now is too basic for anything, i only played 3 games so far, two which i like, but as soon as more dlc for blaster master zero comes out i'll be playing switch again, or maybe finish shovel knight, not in the mood to finish zelda breath of the wild. Other than playing a game on that thing, is not much to do.

3ds has more things to do with no memory card or game, it has least ar games and 3ds sound for music and pictures, and the mii and even the download play even nintendo zone. Wii u least had wii u video calling (Did anyone ever use that? A web browser, and on demand streaming like netflix, hulu, youtube, amazon prime, and crunchy roll, even if you didn't have a game you can still do SOMETHING with it, on switch is either have a game or put it back in a box until you get one. I can only take looking cool so far, until someone ask me "So what games you got?' I instantly look silly. "I'll tell you in a few months." :ninja:

I want to somehow sideload android and have nvidia gamestream support running on that tegra proc ... basically turn it into the shield that never was

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I mean think of all the stability we're missing out on...

Besides pega has allowed devs a really early start instead of spending time looking for vulnerabilities and Ninty would have found and patched it anyways.

Just because there is no homebrew 3 months after launch certainly doesn't mean no scene will develop. Don't expect end user stuff so soon.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pegaswitch was only released publicly because the knowledge that the switch was susceptible to the pegasus vulnerability was made public by other parties and subsequently covered extensively by media after qwertyoruiop tweeted about it, thus making the bug's chances of survival below the point at which it made sense to keep work which made use of it under wraps.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO it's not worth it to keep your switch on 2.0 - almost no one has 2.0, and no one is going to develop for a fw that is outdated and underused.

I will update my switch regularly for the first year or so, and maybe if some solid exploits are rumored by then I will hold off at that point.

If you're buying a console near launch for homebrew/backups you are gonna have a bad time.

Same, I updated my Wii U and 3DS regularly the first few years I had them until exploits were made fully available and were actually of any use. And I didn't ever have a feeling of regret of, "I shouldn't have updated." I got full use out of the systems in those early years, and then was able to make full use of the exploits when they became available. I'd be shocked if the Switch were a different situation, though honestly I wouldn't care too much if I were left in the dust and unable to exploit it should the day that exploits are fully available and of any use for the system come.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they know how to get caught up to speed now just like Sony. If people want to be able to hack into this stuff, people are going to have to remain quiet about Homebrew for the time being.

The 3DS & Wii U took awhile to be fully hacked into without making anything difficult or to risky.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they know how to get caught up to speed now just like Sony. If people want to be able to hack into this stuff, people are going to have to remain quiet about Homebrew for the time being.

The 3DS & Wii U took awhile to be fully hacked into without making anything difficult or to risky.
As ugly as it sounds, the WiiU and the 3DS are not fully hacked.

Take the PSP as example... THAT SHIT is fully hacked.

Reactions: Alkéryn
D

Deleted User

3DS and Wii U just use coldboot exploit, right?

Well, and people are already crying about potential non-existent homebrew. If they would release something, they would get instantly sued by Nintendo lawyers.

Reactions: ScarletDreamz

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I agree completely, at this stage the exploit doesn't really do us much good. But I wouldn't worry, there are always more webkit exploits.
I'm not making a conscious effort to stay on 2.0, but at the same time it doesn't auto update, so I see no reason to update until I have to. I get the update prompt every time I start or resume a game, which is mildly annoying but no big deal.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh, well I thought it was, well atleast what's possible on the system that can be hacked without significantly altering it.

Eh whatever :P but yeah something may be released soonTM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill