Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey PC gamers of the 90's...remember this gory bastard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN94ofITuzo

Apogee (well the new version, anyone remember that awful DS Duke Nukem game they produced?) have got Interceptor Entertainment to remake the original game which while was very flawed...was pretty damn fun. Interceptor were working on a remake of Duke Nukem 3D but kinda stopped working on it late last year to finish it "at a later date".

Anyway way, it'll be running on the Unreal 3 engine, released on PC via Steam and will have "fully featured multiplayer modes"

Here is a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhi-7lj7osI

For more info and screens go here:
http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2012/8/2/rise_of_the_triad_remake/

Reactions: 2 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I missed out on it when it happened (played it around 2000) but then I think I was suffering "doom clone" burnout a bit and limiting my intake. I will note it got a half decent DS homebrew port
http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/emulators/download-rise-of-the-triad-ds-07-f1219.html

As for the new title I am up for some fun shooting if they can pull it off.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember playing it back in 1997, awesome game! :wub:

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of arcade shooters returning... but it looks like another Duke Nukem Forever. Especially on the "it'll probably bomb. HARD" part.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of arcade shooters returning... but it looks like another Duke Nukem Forever. Especially on the "it'll probably bomb. HARD" part.
Looks pretty shit right?

One of those games that is meant to be left alone.

Reactions: 3 people

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Looks pretty shit right?

One of those games that is meant to be left alone.
Yeah, also confusing as hell - 3D just doesn't cut it for games like RotT.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
So this why TF2 just got a bunch of new items :glare:

I thought the original was okay, so I want the game to be at least as good, but Duke Nukem Forever keeps rising to the back of my throat... so ya I won't keep my hopes up.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
great 1st they wrecked duke now their gonna wreck yet another classic. rotc is the very 1st mp game i played yep didn't have internet servers back than you just dialed in at the exact same time using someones ip address or phone number :P

Reactions: 1 person

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
lol fuck these guys seriously. They hyped the hell out of Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded which got cancelled. I have no hope for this remake nor for the team working on it. They're gonna go bankrupt or some shit, haha.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rise of the triad was pretty fun. It had some interesting things going for it (playing as a dog, becoming "drunk" by certain power ups, those insta-death spikes that pop up and you'll have to avoid, and most of all: a random level generator). However, I can't deny this was just one of the many doom clones that popped up everywhere at that time.

JonnyPoots

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I loved this game! Nothing beats disintegrating nazis with the "hand of god" while on shrooms.
becoming "drunk" by certain power ups
I believe you are referencing "Shrooms Mode" which made the camera bob erratically, the sound echo/layer, and made the enemies iridesce like Mario on a Starman. - This will look awesome on the Unreal 3 engine.
However, I can't deny this was just one of the many doom clones that popped up everywhere at that time.
More like a Wolfenstein 3D clone (and that isn't even right....) as RotT began life as "Rise of the Triad: Wolfenstein 3D Part II" and was in developement before/parallel-to Doom. That, and one could call (what with their of chronology) Doom a Wolfenstein clone, except that normally the term clone is reserved for similar games that are not developed by the same company. That said, none of these games are clones - at least not of each other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol