Paper Mario: The Origami King officially announced

There's a new Paper Mario game, which got a trailer shadow-dropped by Nintendo today. Titled Paper Mario: The Origami King, it features the paper style you're used to, mixed in with origami crafts. In the trailer, you can see various worlds Mario must explore, along with partners, some game mechanics, and even the battle system. Nintendo claims that The Origami King will be a comedic adventure starring familiar faces with a new look. The game will be releasing for the Nintendo Switch on July 17th.

14th May, 2020 – Are you ready for your fun to in-crease tenfold? Well, a special invitation to a colourful, paper-crafted world has arrived. Join Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi in attending the kingdom’s origami festival when Paper Mario: The Origami King launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch on 17th July. There’s one tiny wrinkle in the festivities, though: Princess Peach seemed to be acting a little strange lately. To learn more about her mysterious behaviour, check out the Paper Mario: The Origami King - Arriving July 17th! (Nintendo Switch) trailer on the Nintendo YouTube channel. Also, early purchasers can pre-load the game today from Nintendo eShop.

It seems as if King Olly – who claims to be the ruler of the Origami Kingdom – has hatched a devious plot in unleashing his plan to fold the entire world. It looks pretty dangerous on paper, so someone who’s a cut above the rest is needed to save the day! In Paper Mario: The Origami King Mario faces one of his most thrilling challenges yet. Just when matters couldn’t get worse, King Olly has bound Princess Peach’s Castle in giant, coloured streamers and transported it to a distant mountain. He’s even transformed Bowser’s minions into Folded Soldiers and enlisted them in his treacherous cause.

Luckily, Mario is equipped with a range of new tools at his disposal to help secure victory. A new ability called 1000-Fold Arms allows players to interact with the landscape by stretching out and pulling, peeling and revealing new locations, helping you solve puzzles and uncover unexpected surprises. Along the way, players will enlist the help of allies old and new, such as King Olly’s very own good-natured sister, Olivia, along with a range of unlikely allies. Even Bowser himself hasn’t yet folded to the whims of King Olly’s origami will, and Mario will accept all the help he can find with open arms!

Paper Mario: The Origami King introduces a new ring-based battle system that allows players to flex their puzzle-solving skills to line up scattered enemies and maximise damage. While the enemies may be crafted from paper, these dynamic, turn-based battles are far from stationary. It’ll require a sharp mind to make short work of these crafty enemies.

With a detail-rich world to explore, off-the-wall mini-game events and countless mysteries waiting to be solved, the next joyful Mario adventure on Nintendo Switch is ready to deliver huge helpings of laughs.

Early purchasers can pre-load the game today from Nintendo eShop. With so many titles available on Nintendo Switch, using Nintendo eShop’s Wish List function can be a good way to keep track of them. Now, to make it even more convenient, it’s possible to access, manage and add games to a Nintendo Switch Wish List via the official Nintendo website. Find out more on this new feature on the Nintendo Switch Wish List page via our website.

Paper Mario: The Origami King launches for Nintendo Switch on 17th July. Join Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi in attending the kingdom’s origami festival and explore a detail-rich world with off-the-wall mini-game events and countless mysteries waiting to be solved.

maxresdefault.jpg

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My heart's been broken too many times to trust Paper Mario games to be good based on title along anymore. But the trailer certainly gives me the tiniest bit of hope.
Same here I wanna be optimistic but after ss and cs and the closure of the studio behind m&l(RIP ye will be missed) I would hope pm would return to form

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here I wanna be optimistic but after ss and cs and the closure of the studio behind m&l(RIP ye will be missed) I would hope pm would return to form
it seems to be both returning to form, using the good bits from the sticker duology (the few good bits there are lol) and trying something new
I am optimistic because this looks cool and fun

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but mostly because the Sticker games suck in comparison to the others.
I was joking actually. Though, I kinda feel like they just want to make a new villain just so bowser can be part of the character's party. Think people prefer Bowser as a playable character more than just "Obligatory plot device" used in the Main Mario series. Kinda surprised they haven't considered the idea of using Super mario 2 with the Dream world, and wart and such. Would be for a interesting story to revisit. Unless Nintendo don't consider that official mario related. :ninja:

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was joking actually. Though, I kinda feel like they just want to make a new villain just so bowser can be part of the character's party. Think people prefer Bowser as a playable character more than just "Obligatory plot device" used in the Main Mario series. Kinda surprised they haven't considered the idea of using Super mario 2 with the Dream world, and wart and such. Would be for a interesting story to revisit. Unless Nintendo don't consider that official mario related. :ninja:
...It's basically an official rom hack of Doki Doki Panic.
However, I cannot wait to play as Paper Mario with the assistance of Bowser-but-folded-into-a-stand.
Square Bowser.
Squowser.

D

Deleted User

Clever use of a paper world + new interesting antagonist + RPG mechanics and partners + seemingly expansive and detailed world + neat new overworld gimmick = basically all the good bits from the classic and sticker games combined.
Nintendo's getting plenty of paper from me- paper money, to be exact.
The only problem I see here is all the PAPER keep bringing up, because that is why this series has sucked dunkey-dick since Sticker Star. I say that because they make these games around being PAPER games, with PAPER characters, and a PAPER world, with PAPER gameplay, and with characters PAPER characters making "funny" jokes about them being PAPER HAHA this is so funny, I think your five-year-old cousin laughed! Actually though, I think Nintendo basing the entire franchise's identity around its art style is why the series fell. Now, with this game, now only are they doing something actually doing something unique and creative with the concept. I only mean that 50%, though, as Color Splash (occasionally) used it for challenging and memorable gameplay scenarios, like having to escape from a piece of cardboard that is folding up, and ready to crush Mario. Many of the things from this trailer seem to be hinting at these types of setpieces being expanded upon. Anyways, if you couldn't tell, I think highly of what we've seen of the game so far, but I will not HESITATE to send the series back to hell if this game disappoints me.

Reactions: FGFlann

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I see here is all the PAPER keep bringing up, because that is why this series has sucked dunkey-dick since Sticker Star. I say that because they make these games around being PAPER games, with PAPER characters, and a PAPER world, with PAPER gameplay, and with characters PAPER characters making "funny" jokes about them being PAPER HAHA this is so funny, I think your five-year-old cousin laughed! Actually though, I think Nintendo basing the entire franchise's identity around its art style is why the series fell. Now, with this game, now only are they doing something actually doing something unique and creative with the concept. I only mean that 50%, though, as Color Splash (occasionally) used it for challenging and memorable gameplay scenarios, like having to escape from a piece of cardboard that is folding up, and ready to crush Mario. Many of the things from this trailer seem to be hinting at these types of setpieces being expanded upon. Anyways, if you couldn't tell, I think highly of what we've seen of the game so far, but I will not HESITATE to send the series back to hell if this game disappoints me.
I mean the paper gimmicks in Color Splash were actually pretty funny and it seems that the origami gimmicks here won't suck

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I mean the paper gimmicks in Color Splash were actually pretty funny and it seems that the origami gimmicks here won't suck
Funny? All the game does is say such bold things as "HEY LOOK, WE'RE PAPER, WE'RE PAPER, HAHA, FUNNY", and it never tackles any of these jokes in a clever way at all. Again, the gameplay side is another story, well, when it decides to be, but my point still stands.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny? All the game does is say such bold things as "HEY LOOK, WE'RE PAPER, WE'RE PAPER, HAHA, FUNNY", and it never tackles any of these jokes in a clever way at all. Again, the gameplay side is another story, well, when it decides to be, but my point still stands.
If you don't like paper puns, that's your problem. It doesn't mean the game itself isn't making them cleverly.
But now they know how to do it subtler like with Origami Peach's monologue.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering M&L RPG had different items like Boots and I don't see any tickers, I feel like this is just yet another spin on the Paper Mario series. Honestly, the ring thing could be really fun. Let's see.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually agree with your criticism whole heartedly. A joke can only run so far before it falls flat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1