Gaming Paper Mario Color Splash

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the past few days I've been playing Color Splash and came away with the same disappointed feeling I had with the 3DS Paper Mario. Both RPG's are very shallow. There's no leveling up, or choosing specific FP based moves.

Without leveling up there's minimal incentive to face secondary battles on the way to boss fights. And the card based system feels much more shallow in comparison to the FP special moves seen in the N64 and Gamecube versions.

Anyone else feel the Paper Mario series has declined with the 3DS and Wii U versions?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the past few days I've been playing Color Splash and came away with the same disappointed feeling I had with the 3DS Paper Mario. Both RPG's are very shallow. There's no leveling up, or choosing specific FP based moves.

Without leveling up there's minimal incentive to face secondary battles on the way to boss fights. And the card based system feels much more shallow in comparison to the FP special moves seen in the N64 and Gamecube versions.

Anyone else feel the Paper Mario series has declined with the 3DS and Wii U versions?
yeah gotta agree Thousand year door and the original are the only true paper mario games

Jalink9406

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I actually stopped playing Color Splash because the fights with the cards were too slow and too annoying and not worth it as there was no leveling up. So yeah, I agree, I didn't like 3DS and WiiU Paper Mario at all.

D

Deleted User

Paper Mario on the N64 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's an example of a game which approaches perfection. It's gameplay, graphics and audio are all excellent. The only critisism I have for it is the lack of a hard mode.

Many consider The Thousand Year Door to be better but I wasn't a huge fan of it. I played a bit of Paper Mario on the Wii and 3DS but didn't get very far into either. I just didn't enjoy them.

The general opinion on Colour Splash is that while it improves on Sticker Star it's still not that great. I have to disagree, Colour Splash is not a true Paper Mario game and doesn't approach perfection. But I loved it anyway. The battle system wasn't as good as Paper Mario on the 64 and I don't like games which require the gamepad but battles were still fun. The soundtrack really suited the environments. But the game's greatest strength was it's excellent script.

My opinion doesn't have to match the popular opinion.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I know that Color Splash and Sticker Star weren't as rpg like as the previous entries, but I still enjoyed them. I think more than anything it's the world and the paper fx that amuse me the most. Each one seems to get more creative with ideas.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always find it funny that everyone:
-Praise Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door
-Hate Sticker Star and Color Splash (yeah, I know they have their flaws)
-Completely forget about Super Paper Mario due to how different it was

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario, although I haven't played it in about six years (so some of the details are a bit hazy). I liked the ability to be able to reverse your perspective on the world you were viewing.

When it comes to the 3DS and Wii U games I can appreciate Nintendo trying to mix things up with the RPG formula via card battles. But they at least need to bring back leveling up. That's a basic necessity of any good RPG.

For the inevitable Switch version I really hope Nintendo gets less cute and makes a Paper Mario in the vein of the first two games.

PS: Speaking of Intelligent System games really disappointed in no Fire Emblem for the Wii U. I know it's a series more known for its portable releases, but I certainly enjoyed the gamecube version. Will be trying the Wii version one of these days too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up