Gaming opperation: facelift

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't really think that the 3DS is even capable of running Skype. It barely runs Netflix, and that's only 1-way video.
Ok you're saying
A: Skype needs a lot of processing, a dual core ARM11 processor is too weak for a simple app.
B: Somehow DSi is better than a 3DS as the latter can't do video chat and former has shown it can.
I didn't realize video chat was available on the DSi. Is it homebrew? I just got a 3DS (had a DS Phat before that), which is why I said "think" and not "know".
Pokemon b/w supports WiFi video chat when played on the DSi. :P

No worries. =)

Reactions: 1 person

bart148

Trophies
Some hybrid between Hyrule and Cerulean City
XP
Country
United States
I think it should just be kept to the PSVita when it comes to gaming handhelds, the 3DS camera really is awful quality. But saying that..not everyone has the best PC camera either..I guess if it were just voice, so you could speak to your friends/family who are far away for free.

Actually the 3DS's camera is (fairly) better than the vita's camera.

On the topic, i think it's actually a good idea, not the best but still an interesting concept. Sign me in

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
I guess it can be done..and easily even...but then again, it would be useless...I rather use my smartphone for that and I even don't use that...
I always have my phone on me when I have my 3ds on me...the phone has a better camera than the 3ds', and a bigger and faster screen...
Maybe a homebrew app will come up when its hacked...

megavirus1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this thread is pretty pointless
theres about 10000 guys sitting in some big office working for customer services answering 10^10*10 (very large number) of letters
those people are just like everyone else here with maybe some access to nintendo's database on questions they can answer
so what we know is what they know
if miyamoto is working on a top secret project the "lesser" people wouldn't know until him and the team working on said secret project think its ready for the public
so basically the guy who wrote back is simply following company guidelines (the thank you for your question and other stuff) and happened to write "announce" instead of "plans"
so this letter proves nothing really

as for the other guys in the replies saying microsoft has bought skype and wouldnt help nintendo
doesnt need to be true coz skype is a service and if microsoft allows nintendo to use it on 3ds's they will get money from them so everybody is happy (thats probably what sony is doing anyway)

as for my personal opinion: i dont think 3ds is going to get skype (and i dont care either) because the 3ds is not necessarily good when it comes to audio and video input
in other words the microphone and camera are crap. The camera might be good enough but with the 3ds's microphone you'd be lucky to understand everything what the other person is saying. it'd be just a big waste of money on nintendos side which they cant afford after all the 3ds price drops

ps: i know about that letter thing because my sister used to work in customer services for lego. they apparently had most of the questions answered and would literally copy and paste with just some grammar checks...

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it should just be kept to the PSVita when it comes to gaming handhelds, the 3DS camera really is awful quality. But saying that..not everyone has the best PC camera either..I guess if it were just voice, so you could speak to your friends/family who are far away for free.

Actually the 3DS's camera is (fairly) better than the vita's camera.

On the topic, i think it's actually a good idea, not the best but still an interesting concept. Sign me in
I've played on both of them, and the Vita's is definitely better.
However I will help if there's a petition for it, guess we may as well see if they'll do it, it won't hurt.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever we ask for, we'll get it, but it will be a lame knock off. Remember Youtube on DSi? Flipnote Hatena. Messaging on 3DS? Swapnote. No typing, or Pictochat. Just a shortened, half-done version of Flipnote. It'll be a lame knock off, that will only allow 10 minute conversations, or 10 second messages, just like our other restrictions. God forbid Nintendo look and appeal to the general public. The thing is, 3DS is a gaming Console, not an Ipod touch... Although I just thought that a nice port of Linux to operate on DS would be nice... Ubuntu :D

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever we ask for, we'll get it, but it will be a lame knock off. Remember Youtube on DSi? Flipnote Hatena.

How the hell is hatena ANYTHING like YOUTUBE?
Thus reminding you of the lame knockoff part. Problem is, Nintendo doesn't like paying royalties.

A Lame knock off would be something like a mario flash clone or modern combat on the iPhone. The only ways Hatena is even comparable to YouTube is the fact that both let you upload videos

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
irrespective of who owns skype, they are a profit making organisation that would want money from nintendo - therefore, not going to happen. If it was going to be an amazing service, then maybe they could talk but get real - it would be shit.

feross26

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they should have some sort of video chatting, star fox 64 has live video stream of your face when playing online with friends

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They won't do it because they're afraid of pedo's.

I would actually use that a lot. I would use it with the few people on my Friend's List I actually know, because my best friend's brother has a 3DS and they moved to Florida five years ago. I haven't seen them since but talk to them on Skype a lot. Neither of them have webcams, and that would just be completely awesome. Also it's portable so I would be able to see their house and stuff because I still haven't.

I really don't see them doing it, even though the 3DS is capable of it. I feel like it would improve casual sales too because now on the commercials they brag that you can film in 3D now. I could see them showing "Webchat with friends!"

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't discourage you from petitioning for Skype.
If you want it that much, go for it.
As for myself, I have no use for it, so I hope if they do release it that it'll be an app that is downloadable and won't automatically clutter up my 3ds in a firmware update inclusion. Sony did that on psp. It created more icons on the xmb which I didn't care about but couldn't opt out of.
(Skype, comic app, etc.)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skype...on a 3DS?

Ok seriously have people actually forgotten it's a fucking videogame playing medium? It's not a cellphone, it's not a tablet, it's not a laptop, it's not a media player, it's a god damn videogoddamngame playing device.
Sure it has stupid little things to send notes to eachother over wifi, and a horrid browser, but those just further the point that it IS NOT under any circumstances supposed to be anything but a way to play games.

Honestly, just like cellphones are trying to integrate games, poorly. Portable gaming devices are attempting to integrate other forms of media, poorly. Being able to play music and perhaps some limited forms of video is about as far as i'd like to see a device go, really. it's just pointless after that.

Pop in a game, and enjoy. Stop worrying about pointless shit the cellphone sitting in your pocket can do for you already.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo,