Hacking Opera DS.. why two carts?

mrsafetysays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the Opera browser for ds requires both a slot one and two cart to function, the slot two being the memory for the web browser.

what i don't understand is why the ds-x, acekard, ninjapass x9 etc. have memory in slot one and the Nintendo Opera browser is requiring both carts. the technology is there.. is there soemthing special about the opera memory that requires it to be in slot 2?

melloncollie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the Opera browser for ds requires both a slot one and two cart to function, the slot two being the memory for the web browser.

what i don't understand is why the ds-x, acekard, ninjapass x9 etc. have memory in slot one and the Nintendo Opera browser is requiring both carts. the technology is there.. is there soemthing special about the opera memory that requires it to be in slot 2?
Yeah.
THe fact that they made it function that way.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The Opera browser is programmed to look in the GBA slot for the RAM pack.

There must be a reason Opera designed it that way.

It might be possible to patch it, I don't know. (depends if the DS slots can physically handle the data transfer required for constant writing to RAM in slot 1 while it's reading the brower program from slot 1) But be patient. It's taken weeks for someone to work out how to get the thing working with an alternative cartridge in slot 2, so if it is possible the solution won't appear overnight.

(and if you really can't wait, well, it is only £30)

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
*le sigh* Opera uses 2 cartridges at once; one DS cart with the browser on it, and a GBA cart to add extra save space (RAM) for the browser to use while it's running.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Opera browser is programmed to look in the GBA slot for the RAM pack.

There must be a reason Opera designed it that way.

It might be possible to patch it, I don't know. (depends if the DS slots can physically handle the data transfer required for constant writing to RAM in slot 1 while it's reading the brower program from slot 1) But be patient. It's taken weeks for someone to work out how to get the thing working with an alternative cartridge in slot 2, so if it is possible the solution won't appear overnight.

(and if you really can't wait, well, it is only £30)

Do not expect a patch to run from a slot 1 card w/o the use of a slot 2 card. Slot 1 cards as of yet do not have volatile RAM like many of the slot 2 carts do, it's all flash memory. Flash memory of any type write performance makes it unsuitable to use as a buffer like Opera does on the DS. Also, the bandwidth on slot 1 is also pretty poor when compared to slot 2. We're more likely to see Opera patched to work solely from a slot 2 solution, IMO.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
why not slot2 only option unless the hacked ds browser uses 32mb of the m3's ram instead of 10mb of the offical card there is 22mb of ram to launch the rom

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yes im captain obvious but its possible so why is everyone think its not?
if it actually isnt and i have been misinformed can a educated reason why not

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Look why do people expect to get EVERYTHING for free after they spent what? $70 on a flash cart? Seriously if you want to work on a project like this go ahead and do it yourself. Many coders are opposed to breaking the law/making someone else's work worthless. We were lucky enough as it is to have a dedicated group like Tri-force to create a solution like this. Hats off to them.

So please people, stop posting junk like this :wtf:

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Look i didnt "expect to get EVERYTHING for free" ive asked for alternaives like cheap slot-1 card buying it ect. i just want real answers like ive said before

"after they spent what? $70 on a flash cart?"
i paid abut 150 m3 plus the sd card not 70 we're not all cheep trolls like some people *cough* *cough*

"Seriously if you want to work on a project like this go ahead and do it yourself."
i dont want to i just want answers im not demanding someone do it and i am prepared for the actuality of never getting a true crack

"Many coders are opposed to breaking the law"
yes against the law in most countries including mine but not everywhere and not enforced in many that it is .
Dont speak for everyone on the internet, even though its unlikely that many are in the ideal situation.(even if most of all ds hacks and such are breaking the laws of which you speak but they exist regardless meaning most people are for "breaking the law")

"making someone else's work worthless." ever hear of photoshop one of the most pirated pieces of software and because of it one of the most popular
is it worthless
or what about open source it works people love it and free but its not for everyone much like piracy

We were lucky enough as it is to have a dedicated group like Tri-force to create a solution like this. Hats off to them.
although these efforts help a very small minority(so far) i have to agree with you on this finally you said something thats not just useful in fertilizing my lawn

but i have to say the same to you "please people, stop posting junk like this :wtf:"

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Look why do people expect to get EVERYTHING for free after they spent what? $70 on a flash cart?

Personally, I think there's more to this than just having the DS browser run for free. The ability to use the RAM of the cards that supply it is going to be a major development for the home brew scene. As soon as someone gets it working from just Slot 2, it will mean that home brew can do the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld