• Start date
  • Views 4,389
  • Replies 45
S

ScuberSteve

OP
I hate the term ROFL.
(Also ROTFL, ROTFLOL, etc.)
So, from now on, I will post the following picture in any testing area thread that has the phrase ROFL (and any of its variations).

ROFL.jpg

S

ScuberSteve

OP
The many different types of acronyms/initials:
- Pronounced as a word, containing only initial letters (IE. laser: light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation)
- Pronounced as a word, containing non-initial letters (IE. radar: radio detection and ranging)
- Pronounced as a word or names of letters, depending on speaker or context (IE. IRA: when used for Irish Republican Army, always pronounced as letters, when used for Individual Retirement Account, can be pronounced as letters or as a word)
- Pronounced as a combination of names of letters and a word (IE. CD-ROM: Compact Disc read-only memory)
- Pronounced only as the names of letters (IE. BBC: British Broadcasting Corporation)
- Pronounced as the names of letters but with a shortcut (IE. NCAA: pronounced "en cee double a" or "en cee a a", National Collegiate Athletic Association)
- Shortcut incorporated into name (IE. E³: pronounced e three, Electronic Entertainment Exposition)
- Recursive acronyms, in which the abbreviation itself is the expansion of one initial (IE. PHP: PHP Hypertext Preprocessor)
- Multi-layered acronyms (IE. JAXB: Java API for XML Binding, i.e. Java Application Programming Interface for eXtensible Markup Language Binding)

That was some hardcore wikipedia manipulating right there.

S

ScuberSteve

OP
Westside said:
thebobevil said:
None of those are acronyms ... they're just initials ... it's only an acronym if the initials spell another word
wink.gif
But it does.
ROFL is pronounced RAW-FULL
LOL is pronounced LAWL

ROFL's pronounciation is comparable to the word Waffle

Mosts perged

damn lack of post merging...

Mosts perged

WTF?!?!

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a good place to post the names of my pokemon dungeon characters.
Mr.Pwn (bulba) and Pwnachu. hehe... I like saying ROFL out loud more than typing it. But it sounds like RAWFULL...and I only do it when I'm joking with my brother.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ScuberSteve said:
Westside said:
thebobevil said:
None of those are acronyms ... they're just initials ... it's only an acronym if the initials spell another word
wink.gif
But it does.
ROFL is pronounced RAW-FULL
LOL is pronounced LAWL

ROFL's pronounciation is comparable to the word Waffle

Mosts perged

damn lack of post merging...

Mosts perged

WTF?!?!
Mosts perged? ROFL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ