Hacking Odd idea

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Be more specific you might get help. Is a certain app needing changed so you can use your HDD instead of your SD? Maybe if the app is open source it can be modified to suit?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe an adapter of some sort.....with the plug shaped like an SD card and connestion going to the HDD, it would stick out thought....

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
shadowtroop said:
Is it possible to make software that can make the wii think my HDD is an SD card? Like redirecting it?
sounds like keens by raiderc
lol, if ur confused try looking in a mirror
tongue.gif

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
Why in the world would you want that?
A hard drive is cheaper than a large capacity SDHC card. Thats the only reason I can think of.

But for anything that the OP would want to do with it, there is a better homebrew solution for all those needs.

Apparently the OP is not well versed in the wii homebrew scene to automatically know better. But thats why we are here to help. Hopefully he comes and tells us exactly what his intentions are so we can give him the proper solution.

EDIT: I've seen that thing that you linked to a few other times in other forums for use for other things. It seems like a nice tool to have, but expensive and I wonder what the compatibility is like.

EDIT 2: This device that you linked to can no way possibly power a USB hard drive. The hard drive would require some other type of external power source for it to work. I'm sure it is possible to hack it in, but for most users (like the OP), it would be too far out for them to do.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Fishaman P said:
Why in the world would you want that?
A hard drive is cheaper than a large capacity SDHC card. Thats the only reason I can think of.

But for anything that the OP would want to do with it, there is a better homebrew solution for all those needs.

Apparently the OP is not well versed in the wii homebrew scene to automatically know better. But thats why we are here to help. Hopefully he comes and tells us exactly what his intentions are so we can give him the proper solution.
You can get a 2GB Nintendo SD card for like 10 bucks. An adapter (if they existed) would be far more expensive. SD+HDD=Win!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
shadowtroop said:
Does sneek really do that? Can it work without an sd card entirely?
Erm...not quite. sneek makes your wii use the SD card as nand. I think Xflak means that it will also make your USB drive act as if it was an sd-card (note: I can't confirm nor deny this...I don't use sneek).

I've got to ask why you ask this question, though. The 'newer' versions of the HBC run homebrew fine from the USB drive (provided it uses a FAT32 partition) and most homebrew can be run from USB as well. It's still a good idea to have an SD card somewhere in case of emergency (JoostinOnline and me advised that to someone else just yesterday, in fact) but it's not a requirement for...well, pretty much anything (bootmii is the exception).

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
No it depends on the app you're trying to use so bootmii is NOT the only exception. (btw Sorgs Deluxe didn't require sd).

But some older apps just don't have the code for usb support, I can't think of any examples, but fairly sure one of the GC save apps has no usb support, and other older rarer apps sometimes are the same.
Maybe what he want's has source available? Or an altenate app to get the same results.

This is why I asked the OP to be more precise, if he can say he wants to do X,Y,Z then that is easier for me to help with.

So to answer the OP ... YES ... but it all depends on the purpose the best way to go about it. Explain what you want to do a little more, I won't come back to this topic without details.

shadowtroop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wes11ph said:
i think the only answer should came from the OP...
what is he trying to achieve is cannot be done with out explaining it in detailed..
Well said.

I have had a hacked wii for since the TP exploit, so I'm not totally stupid. But anyways...

I lost my sd card, so I wanted to use my harddrive for everything. Which I can do, the HBC supports it, and most USB loaders do as well.

However, when launching brawl minus with CFG, I noticed none of my textures were working. And then I realized that games don't use HDD as storage.

Which is why I wanted some IOS hack that could do that, essentially make the wii think the USB slot is actually the SD card slot. Judging by the answers I've gotten, I guess not.

And I probably won't get another SD card anytime soon.
angry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.