Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
John Carmarck, CTO of Oculus VR, has stated in an interview that the Rift will probably run Android one day, and may potentially evolve into a standalone device. It would be powered by a SoC and would be able to function on it own without any external connection.

Of course, this is only an idea for a future release of the system and the consumer version to be released next year will likely still require a connection to a PC or an external Android device (there's an Android SDK for the Rift in development).

What's you're take on this statement? Is this the right route for the device to be going?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Source plz kthnx.

I think "standalone" is the important bit here, the OS it will run is secondary. Might be interesting to see where they take it (I'm guessing Meta Spaceglasses), but they should definitely keep a non-standalone version as well. (What do you call a "non-standalone" thing anyway? Stand-together? Dependant? :P )

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Source plz kthnx.

I think "standalone" is the important bit here, the OS it will run is secondary. Might be interesting to see where they take it (I'm guessing Meta Spaceglasses), but they should definitely keep a non-standalone version as well. (What do you call a "non-standalone" thing anyway? Stand-together? Dependant? :P )

It's starts at the 5:30 mark. His theory is that the Oculus will evolve into a device that both allows for untethered usage (Android) and tethered usage (PC).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn