Misc Obscure games that you're fond of?

drakonic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I find that many of my favourites tend to be games that not many actually know about. I wonder if I'm not the only one. :P
And so I'd like to try to start a discussion about obscure games that people love... They don't have to be "good" games, just something that you hold dear to your heart or you had a fun time with :D
Any platform of course.

By obscure here I mean games that:
- don't have much/any info about their contents online
- don't have/have few recorded playthroughs
- are just generally never talked about
- aren't necessarily "hidden gems"

Here are some of my obscure favourites:
- Make 10: A Journey of Numbers (Nintendo DS) - A really fun little math game. It has a really cute art style and characters. I have to admit the main factor here is nostalgia...
- How to Train your Dragon (Nintendo DS) - Yes, a licensed movie game! It has major flaws, but it has a really cool turn-based battle system. Also, it is really impressive to me how the dragon animations are so expressive and full of personality with such limited 3D models.
- Heart&Slash (PC) - A hack and slash roguelite game set in a post-human world where robots rule. I love the main characters, the visuals, and I had a lot of fun 100%ing this game.

Reactions: Xzi and Lostbhoy

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I used to like a lot PS2 Rise to Honor - a beat n' up where you used the analogue stick to perform kung fu punches and round house kicks. I played a month ago and it haven't age well.

Reactions: drakonic

drakonic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have fond memories of Movie Creator for Commodore 64. I think it qualifies as obscure since I can’t find much information on it anymore, but someone did post a video to YouTube.

Oh, I didn't even know these types of games/software go back that far! Really cool

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I was going to say Thexder because I've never seen it talked about or mentioned anywhere, but apparently it was a huge hit, ported to 15 different platforms and sold a ton of copies and, um, yeah.

The version I played was Thexder 95.

Another one I played the hell out of but never see/hear mentioned was Bolo:

Arkanoid clone but with vertical movement, and mouse control. It was awesome.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pixygarden (PS1)

God simulator
You pick a spot on planets and cultivate an entire race (multiple races? not sure) by changing the environment. Not really sure how the environment can be changed, other than planting a bunch of flora. This is an incredibly obscure game and not much is really known or understood about it, other than it originally being a NEC PC-98 (no, not the Windows 98 OS) game, which was later ported / remastered for Windows 98, then eventually being remade into this PS1 game. Great soundtrack.

PS1:
PC-98:

My Garden (PS1)

Garden simulator
Similar to Harvest Moon, but on a tiny scale. Not much gameplay of it is available on YouTube and I have yet to figure out the true mechanics. I have fumbled around with it in-game, and it does seem pretty good. Although emulators tend to have this weird rendering issue.

Oz no Mahoutsukai - Another World - Rung Rung (PS1)

RPG / adventure?
Not much can be said about this. The premise is basically Wizard of Oz with Dorthy getting blown away to different world and trying to go back home to Kansas, but with a twist. Someone has taken all of the color out of the world, meaning the area will be impassable unless the color is restored. Not completely sure of the plot, but it does seem like a very underrated game. It's a shame it was never localized, even unofficially. It was, however, released on the Japanese PSN store as a PS1 Classic, which means it had some kind of recognition back then at least.

Unfortunately, none of these games have been translated yet (with the semi-exception of Rung Rung and someone putting translated captions in their gameplay videos on YouTube).

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Power Soukoban on SFC. It's a brilliant mix of Soukoban & Zelda. I wish more games like this were made to refine the formula.

1676702582759.png

drakonic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pixygarden (PS1)

God simulator
You pick a spot on planets and cultivate an entire race (multiple races? not sure) by changing the environment. Not really sure how the environment can be changed, other than planting a bunch of flora. This is an incredibly obscure game and not much is really known or understood about it, other than it originally being a NEC PC-98 (no, not the Windows 98 OS) game, which was later ported / remastered for Windows 98, then eventually being remade into this PS1 game. Great soundtrack.

PS1:
PC-98:

My Garden (PS1)

Garden simulator
Similar to Harvest Moon, but on a tiny scale. Not much gameplay of it is available on YouTube and I have yet to figure out the true mechanics. I have fumbled around with it in-game, and it does seem pretty good. Although emulators tend to have this weird rendering issue.

Oz no Mahoutsukai - Another World - Rung Rung (PS1)

RPG / adventure?
Not much can be said about this. The premise is basically Wizard of Oz with Dorthy getting blown away to different world and trying to go back home to Kansas, but with a twist. Someone has taken all of the color out of the world, meaning the area will be impassable unless the color is restored. Not completely sure of the plot, but it does seem like a very underrated game. It's a shame it was never localized, even unofficially. It was, however, released on the Japanese PSN store as a PS1 Classic, which means it had some kind of recognition back then at least.

Unfortunately, none of these games have been translated yet (with the semi-exception of Rung Rung and someone putting translated captions in their gameplay videos on YouTube).

Oh these games all seem really cool! Putting them on my "games to check out" list. Bit of a shame they don't have an english translation... But I'm still interested :D

Reactions: Lostbhoy

SiliconExarch

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have a contender for the most obscure game related to a well known franchise - Rayman Garden, a puzzle game released exclusively on Mitsubishi feature phones in the early 2000s.
The phones show up on eBay from time to time and they're normally pretty cheap :)

Last edited by SiliconExarch,

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some random rollercoaster game i barely know much of except for "disney imagineering ultimate ride roller coaster deluxe", it's just a low budget roller coaster sim game, almost impossible to find but it was one of the first games i had on PC, there's 3 versions, i had the one with the yellow roller coaster and red kart on the cover

i barely remember much of the game because i had it a long time ago and lost my copy

would obscure entries in an otherwise well known series also count? because i have fond memories of the psp version of sims 2, and atv offroad fury blazin' trails for the psp, which is just a (bad) port of offroad fury 3

Last edited by Latiodile,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mine has to be Cliff Hanger (and his brother coat!) on C64. The road runner style gfx really grabbed me as a kid in the 80s and the game itself is not a million miles away from road runners premise!

You play the sheriff and your goal is to stop the bandit getting to town by using a manner of tools or contraptions. Played out like a movie by scenes rather than levels but it's awesome for a play even today.... As long as the loading doesn't put you off!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by hippy dave,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I just remembered another one.
Star Wars: Yoda Stories.

1676803818732.png

1676804034457.png

1676804045362.png

1676804055785.png

1676804065523.png

It's a point and click adventure but every other character in the game is playing a Zelda knockoff.

The game is a set of unrelated missions ("stories") procedurally generated from a pool of storylines, characters, items, triggers and victory conditions, through randomly generated terrain, and each one is basically one long convoluted fetch quest of the "find a [device] to open the [door] to acquire the [item] to operate the [contrivance] to get to [location] to talk to [character] to learn the [second location] where [CRITICAL ITEM] can be found, then bring it back to Yoda" variety, all the while fighting (or avoiding) randomly generated nuisances that lurked around the map (Stormtroopers, various beasts, etc.).

Not sure as to the obscurity of it but I can't remember it being very popular. But I liked it.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 354237

This game is really fun and addictive. And the simple music bops for being fairly repetitive. It's also cheap, usually anywhere between $10 to $15 USD complete.

Oh God it's been years since I've seen this! I remember it got an iOS port a long while back, but I imagine it was a 32 bit game that wasn't updated, since there's no trace of it on the store anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge