Hacking O3DS FIRMWARE 2.1 AND RXTOOLS HELP

dfury197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, I bought my Son an original 3DS and wanted to put some ROMS on it for him. I bought it brand new and it came with 2.1.0-4E. It appears to have a working browser, I also have a copy of Lego LOTR EUR 3DS and a R4 SDHC Dual-Core 2016.

I'm assuming I can use the R4 SDHC Dual-Core 2016 for DS roms in sysnand/emunand?

My son is only 5, so I would like rxtools to launch when the 3DS is turned on to save any confusion for him and prevent anything bad from occurring. Unless it would be better to Launch rxTools through the System Settings app?

I have been doing a bit of research here on gbatemp, but wanted to double check before I go ahead and make sure I'm not about to make any stupid mistakes, so if anyone can point out anything I have got
wrong or anything to watch out for it would be much appreciated, here are the steps I plan to take, in the order I have planned (I have copy & pasted most of this from this tutorial):

First - Update to firmware 4.1 (with the Lego: LOTR Cart)

<--Then

STEP 1:

Old 3DS and 2DS users - No gateway or cubic ninja? Try FBI Injection!

1. Download Gateway ULTRA (latest version)
Put Launcher.dat in the root of your SD Card

2. In your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that (has a long name of random numbers and letters). There should be another folder within, so open that

too. You should now see an "extdata" folder. If you do not see a "dbs" folder as well, download this zip folder and put the "dbs" folder beside the extdata folder.

*Again, if the dbs folder already exists, and you have a title.db and import.db file inside, do not replace them!

Should look similar to this Show

3. Boot the 3DS/2DS and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset or repair your software management information or sd card, so allow it to do so. Again, you do NOT have to do

this if you already had the dbs folder and the two files inside your SD card.

4. Open your 3DS/2DS internet Browser and go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/

Hold L to get to the menu if you already have an emunand.
Navigate to "backup system nand" and make your nand backup!!
Then turn off your 3DS and copy your nand.bin from the SD card to somewhere safe on your PC!

5. Also, make a backup of all your sd card contents (especially the Nintendo 3DS folder)

6. Boot up your 3DS/2DS
Open your 3DS/2DS internet Browser and go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/ again
This time go to "Format Emunand". Let it complete, may take a few minutes (no more than 10 minutes)

7. Turn off 3DS/2DS, and restore your sd card backup. Now go to step 2.

STEP 2 - Getting all the rxTools files:

Download the RxTools here
Download Python version 2.7
Direct Windows installer link

1. Put the "rxtools" folder on your SD card root.
If you are updating from a previous rxTools setup, delete the "rxtools" folder on your sd card first. I repeat: don't overwrite the existing rxtools folder, always delete it and start clean when

updating.
2. Put firmware.bin in the rxtools/sys folder on your SD card root
Two methods to get this file:
Run cdn_firm.py, it will be generated. Find it in the "Tools" folder.
Download HERE, click the "CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates" link. Name of the thread is "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)"
3. Get "slot0x25KeyX.bin" (Hint: google it, download link should be in the description of a certain youtube video :ph34r:) (MD5: 817FD1BFFBA60F79CF8CDF19CAF28923). Put this file on your SD card root.

STEP 3 - Launch rxTools for the first time!

To launch from the internet browser: boot up your 3DS
Open your 3DS internet Browser and go to https://dukesrg.github.io/?rxTools/sys/code.bin (you should bookmark this. To do so, turn off your WiFi, then attempt to connect to the URL. It will fail; now

you can open the browser menu and bookmark it.)
If it fails or gives you an error, click the wrench icon and clear cookies and history before trying again.

Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu if it is sending you back to the homemenu!!!

It should show you an Installation Data Suite. Press A when it completes; it should then autoboot into rxMode in Emunand. If it just brings you to the menu, select RXMODE and choose BOOT EMUNAND.

***At this point, you may update your emunand to 10.3 before continuing to step 4a (specifically), although you don't have to if everything works out. Read the guidelines below in the emunand section

first.
***To setup rxTools to launch when your 3DS turns on, see the section titled "Launching rxTools at boot - Themehax!"

<--Here I plan to unlink the NANDs to prevent the sysnand from getting updated???

How to unlink nands:
1. In sysnand, go to System Settings -> Other Settings -> Format System (Do not accept yet)
2. Eject your Sd card (don't worry, it is safe)
3. Accept to Format your 3DS/2DS (let it connect to the internet if it asks, it will not update your system)
4. After it reboots, go through the setup screen and set everything up
5. Once in the home menu, insert back your sd card and let it create some files on your sd card.
6. Your nands are now unlinked, and there are 2 ID folders in your Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card (one for emunand, another for sysnand)
The folder with the smallest size belongs to your sysnand, since you just formatted it. Grab the database zip again and put the title.db and import.db in

YourSysnandFolder/RandomNumbersAndLettersFolder/dbs, just like you did in Step 1: Line 1 & 2! Don't forget to go to Data Management in Sysnand to let the 3DS "repair" your software management

information!

<--Then install FBI?

STEP 4a - Only for users without the Gateway card or a Cubic Ninja game (O3DS and 2DS)

Users have reported this not working when your nands are still linked! I recommend unlinking your nands first! Read the section "Emunand Information" below!

Download FBI.cia

1. Boot up your 3DS
Open your 3DS internet Browser and launch rxtools (http://lavanoid.no-ip.org/?open)
Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu.

2. Press dpad RIGHT to go to Advanced Options -> Press A -> Install FBI -> Press A -> choose EMUNAND, then select "check TMD version".
If you want to install GBA/DSi games in the future:
Choose sysnand the second time you go over this section (Step 4a)
3. Take note of the console region and the TMD version, and turn off your 3DS.

4. Open the rxtools download and open the "Tools/fbi_injection/[region]/[version]" folder and copy the "fbi_inject.app" and "fbi_inject.tmd" files to the SD card root dir.

5. Put the FBI.cia from the FBI download onto your sd card

6. Boot up your 3DS
Open your 3DS internet Browser and launch rxtools again
Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu.

7. Press dpad RIGHT to go to Advanced Options -> Press A -> Install FBI -> Press A -> choose EMUNAND, then select "Install FBI". When it's done, it will ask what you want to do with the source. Select

"keep" if you want to install FBI to sysnand later.

<--Then install FBI on sysnand so I can update sysnand to 9.2 for the Themehax boot???

If you want to install GBA/DSi games in the future:
Repeat lines 1-5 again, this time Injecting FBI to Sysnand
8. Now, return to the rxtools main menu and select RXMODE -> EMUNAND and launch the Health & Safety Information app, it should boot FBI instead
To boot into Sysnand: Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu, then select RXMODE -> SYSNAND.
9. Select FBI.cia and press A to install it.

If you get a Database error! Show

10. You should now have a new FBI app on your home menu, use that to install your CIAs!

<--Then update to 9.2 on sysnand ??

How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2

If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Themehax; and to use themehax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
FBI installed in sysnand (Step 4a if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax)
A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Step 2)
Let's get started.

1. Click HERE

2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result

3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page

4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)

5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates

6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region

7. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia

8. Download Sysupdater

9. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card

10. Insert your SD card in your 3DS

11. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu

12. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A

13. Go down to DEVMODE and press A

14. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.

15. Launch FBI

16. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD)

17. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.

18. Launch sysUpdater

19. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be

absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!

20. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use themehax.

<--Now update emunand??

Emunand Information

Some users report their sysnand still being updated following the below steps. Unlinking your nands before attempting to update may avoid this. Please read this post before deciding to unlink nands:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-th...a-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/(Please, please, pleasseee read this!).

If you have an update nag on sysnand, follow these short steps to delete the update from your system first, reducing any risk of updating sysnand to be EXTREMELY unlikely. Do not do step 4 obviously,

click "no"!

To update your emunand, only do so through the System Settings app.
Do NOT update if it asks you if you're "ready to start system update" or whatever it says whenever you boot your 3ds, OR through the Eshop. It will update your sysnand instead.

How to properly update emunand: Boot into Emunand, and launch System Settings. Make sure it says RX-E or RX3D in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emunand, and go straight to Other

Settings -> System update without exiting the System Settings app.

If you need Emunand tool (for backing up your emunand), then you can find it here.

<--Now install themehax?

Launching rxTools at boot - Themehax!

These steps will setup Themehax, which we will configure to allow rxTools to boot the moment you turn on your 3DS/2DS! IMO this is the best way to launch rxTools.

Note: You must be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware. This means your sysnand has to be on or between 9.0 to 9.2 system version. To update to 9.0 or 9.2, scroll down to the section How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0

or 9.2 and follow the instructions, then come back here.

1.Grab this themehax installer 1.3 offline installer and put the "themehax_installer" folder in the "3ds" folder on your SD card. Note: Create a "3ds" folder if you don't have one. If you have one and

there already is a themehax_installer folder there, delete it first.
SD:/3ds/themehax_installer/

2. Get the latest boot.3dsx for the homebrew channel and placed it on your SD card root. Put the SD card back in your 3DS

3. Set a random theme on your 3DS, then change it back to the default theme.

4. Launch browserhax (it took MANY tries for me to finally get it to boot). Zoom-in all the way to the slider at the top-left and touch the very right of the bar. It may work touching the very left

side as well.

5. Once in the homebrew menu, run the themehax 1.3 installer and install themehax. (At this point, I also set a custom button setup so that it loads sysnand only when I hold R. This is Type 2 in the

config menu.)

6. After all that, test if themehax boots you into the homebrew menu at cold boot

7.Now to set it to boot rxTools instead, download CTRBootManager b07. Rename the boot.3dsx that is on your SD card to boot_hb.3dsx. Then place the boot.3dsx and boot.cfg from the CTRBootManager

download onto your SD card root.

8. Open up boot.cfg with notepad and change this:
// Default timeout in secondes
// If timeout = -1, disable autoboot
timeout = 3;

to this:

// Default timeout in secondes
// If timeout = -1, disable autoboot
timeout = 0;
Now save the boot.cfg, eject your SD, and put it in your 3DS

When you turn on your 3DS, you should see the red screen, followed by the rxTools splash screen. If you chose a custom button setup in the themehax installer, keep that in mind. By default, you must

hold L when booting to let themehax run at boot-up. In my case, I chose TYPE 2, and selected the button R. This means that Themehax will always run at boot unless I hold R (which would bring me to
sysnand instead of rxTools).

Any comments or pointers would be much appreciated, thanks.

D

Deleted-236924

If you follow the guide, there normally shouldn't be any problems. Have to make sure to follow everything, though.
I think it would have been better to ask questions in the thread itself for things you aren't completely sure of rather than opening a new thread and copy/pasting almost the entire guide in.

Also, autoboot would be the best. Having to start it from system settings might be confusing for children who wouldn't necessarily remember it which buttons to click every time (they'd learn eventually, though.)
But having it start automatically when you turn it on would be the best, because they'd be taken to the CFW automatically as soon as they turn it on. I recommend setting menuhax to boot to sysnand only when an obscure combination of buttons are pressed (say, L+Down+Select+X), that way they can't accidentally get into sysnand.

It's probably best they never get access to sysnand itself, because if it is connected to the internet, then they might update it to 10.3
If internet is not connected on sysnand and they have no way of connecting to it (don't know how), who knows, maybe they might their hands on a retail cartridge of a game that has an update above 9.2 included on it, from a friend or whatever, and they might decide to put it into the 3DS to play it, and if they were on sysnand when they did it, they'd probably end up updating it. Unlikely scenario but nonetheless possible. But yeah, autoboot is A+, with a really obscure combination of buttons to prevent them from accessing sysnand

I think there's something you can change in rxtools' configuration as well, to change the buttons required to access the menu (L by default), if you can change it to something really obscure too, that would prevent them from booting rxMode in sysnand. (Would be even worse if they updated while in rxMode sysnand, because I believe it may brick.)

Reactions: dfury197

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. Update the console to 4.X with your game.
2. Setup rxtools 2.5.2, instructions here : http://www.rxtools.net/#!howto (the nightlies don't work with cartdridge updated consoles)
3. Update your console to 9.2.0-20 using the rxTools 2.5.2 devmode + sysupdater.
4. Replace rxtools 2.5.2 with the latest nightly, then setup themehax.

dfury197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you follow the guide, there normally shouldn't be any problems. Have to make sure to follow everything, though.
I think it would have been better to ask questions in the thread itself for things you aren't completely sure of rather than opening a new thread and copy/pasting almost the entire guide in.

I just wanted to make sure, you're right though, sorry about that.

Pingouin7 said:
Also, autoboot would be the best. Having to start it from system settings might be confusing for children who wouldn't necessarily remember it which buttons to click every time (they'd learn eventually, though.)
But having it start automatically when you turn it on would be the best, because they'd be taken to the CFW automatically as soon as they turn it on. I recommend setting menuhax to boot to sysnand only when an obscure combination of buttons are pressed (say, L+Down+Select+X), that way they can't accidentally get into sysnand.

It's probably best they never get access to sysnand itself, because if it is connected to the internet, then they might update it to 10.3
If internet is not connected on sysnand and they have no way of connecting to it (don't know how), who knows, maybe they might their hands on a retail cartridge of a game that has an update above 9.2 included on it, from a friend or whatever, and they might decide to put it into the 3DS to play it, and if they were on sysnand when they did it, they'd probably end up updating it. Unlikely scenario but nonetheless possible. But yeah, autoboot is A+, with a really obscure combination of buttons to prevent them from accessing sysnand

I think there's something you can change in rxtools' configuration as well, to change the buttons required to access the menu (L by default), if you can change it to something really obscure too, that would prevent them from booting rxMode in sysnand. (Would be even worse if they updated while in rxMode sysnand, because I believe it may brick.)

Great advice, much appreciated! I really like the idea about the obscure button combination, I will definitely give that a go.

VerseHell said:
1. Update the console to 4.X with your game.
2. Setup rxtools 2.5.2, instructions here : http://www.rxtools.net/#!howto (the nightlies don't work with cartdridge updated consoles)
3. Update your console to 9.2.0-20 using the rxTools 2.5.2 devmode + sysupdater.
4. Replace rxtools 2.5.2 with the latest nightly, then setup themehax.

Thanks for the reply, is there any benefit to replacing rxtools with the latest nightly or is it optional?

D

Deleted-236924

One thing, though, is that even if you set this many barriers to try and prevent them from accessing sysnand or accessing rxtools settings and possibly accidentally mess something up, he could just take out the SD card out and it would boot into sysnand. Then he might end up changing the theme and that would uninstall menuhax. It isn't really feasible to lock the SD card slot so you'll have to keep an eye on that.

And another thing, if you inject FBI to Health and Safety app, make sure you restore the original H&S app after you are done installing everything you need. Wouldn't want him to look around and find FBI in the H&S app, and then have him uninstall random things :P if it was in emunand, it could break things, but should be recoverable if you keep backups, or you would have to re-install from scratch, but nothing permanent (might lose save files if they weren't being backed up though.)

Would only truly be dangerous if he was able to access sysnand in rxmode or in devmode and then find FBI in sysnand, if you re-injected it after you updated it to 9.2.0 (you don't really need to re-inject FBi in sysnand after updating to 9.2, unless there are GBA games or DSiWare you think he might want to play :P)
This shouldn't really be a problem, though, because as long as you've got a really obscure button combination for accessing rxTools menu, he probably won't be booting into rxMode sysnand or devMode.

That being said, I'm saying that, but I have no idea if it's even possible to change the button configuration for that... I'll have to look into it. At least I don't see an option in rxTools settings on my 3DS, and I don't think i found a setting file. Probably have to keep an eye on him when he uses it so you can see if he ends up in the menu. Might want to ask on the tutorial thread about that, I could have sworn I read there was a way to change what button boots into rxTools menu. Default is L while rxTools starts up, so that might be easy to accidentally have held down while the 3DS is starting up.

If you want to use themehax for coldboot, then you need the latest nightly.
Definitely not. Autoboot should work regardless.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-236924

I am not on the latest nightly and I can autoboot with menuhax.

That and I just went and downloaded 2.6, it seems to have a ninjhax entry point, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Same for 2.5.2, unless those rxTools.3dsx aren't for actually booting rxTools?

Last edited by ,
Reactions: TerryG and dfury197

dfury197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One thing, though, is that even if you set this many barriers to try and prevent them from accessing sysnand or accessing rxtools settings and possibly accidentally mess something up, he could just take out the SD card out and it would boot into sysnand. Then he might end up changing the theme and that would uninstall menuhax. It isn't really feasible to lock the SD card slot so you'll have to keep an eye on that.

And another thing, if you inject FBI to Health and Safety app, make sure you restore the original H&S app after you are done installing everything you need. Wouldn't want him to look around and find FBI in the H&S app, and then have him uninstall random things :P if it was in emunand, it could break things, but should be recoverable if you keep backups, or you would have to re-install from scratch, but nothing permanent (might lose save files if they weren't being backed up though.)

Would only truly be dangerous if he was able to access sysnand in rxmode or in devmode and then find FBI in sysnand, if you re-injected it after you updated it to 9.2.0 (you don't really need to re-inject FBi in sysnand after updating to 9.2, unless there are GBA games or DSiWare you think he might want to play :P)
This shouldn't really be a problem, though, because as long as you've got a really obscure button combination for accessing rxTools menu, he probably won't be booting into rxMode sysnand or devMode.

That being said, I'm saying that, but I have no idea if it's even possible to change the button configuration for that... I'll have to look into it. At least I don't see an option in rxTools settings on my 3DS, and I don't think i found a setting file. Probably have to keep an eye on him when he uses it so you can see if he ends up in the menu. Might want to ask on the tutorial thread about that, I could have sworn I read there was a way to change what button boots into rxTools menu. Default is L while rxTools starts up, so that might be easy to accidentally have held down while the 3DS is starting up.

Definitely not. Autoboot should work regardless.

Thanks Pingouin, some interesting things for me to consider there, definitely.

He would normally be supervised whilst playing games and if told not to mess with the SD Card he (probably) won't.

I will not be reinstalling FBI in sysnand then if there is no need to, so that's one less thing to worry about.

I suppose as long as I make a NAND backup, worst case scenario is I have to hard mod the 3DS right?

Thanks again for the great advice.
VerseHell said:
Nope, rxtools 2.X only support spider and mset entry points.

Pingouin7 said:
I am not on the latest nightly and I can autoboot with menuhax.

That and I just went and downloaded 2.6, it seems to have a ninjhax entry point, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Same for 2.5.2, unless those rxTools.3dsx aren't for actually booting rxTools?

I will just upgrade anyway I suppose, can't do any harm can it? Thanks guys.

Last edited by dfury197,
D

Deleted-236924

Yeah, worst case scenario, if you have a nand backup and keep it in a safe place, you would have to get a hardmod done to restore the backup.

D

Deleted-236924

Do keep in mind, though, that hardmod requires very precise soldering. So you may have to send it in to someone who can do the mod for you, unless you are comfortable with doing that kind of soldering on your own.
There are a few guides available online for doing the soldering, so you'll be able to look those up later if needed. Otherwise we have someone in the UK I believe, a trusted member on here who you would be able to send the 3DS to for them to perform the hardmod. Probably be able to send them the nand backup as well, because if they'll be hardmodding it might as well restore the backup at the same time (it requires a special modified cable with a modified microSD to SD adapter and some very specific SD readers.)

dfury197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I have hit a bit of a stumbling block.

I have successfully backed up my NAND, installed rxtools 2.5.2 and installed FBI on the emunand (I had to use a different method than in the guide)

I also system updated my emunand, I have installed a test CIA file on the emunand and it runs fine.

However, I cannot follow the part of the guide for updating the sysnand to 9.2 as it seems like rxtools 2.5.2 has different menu options, can anyone recommend a safe method of doing this?

I am also having trouble getting the sysupdater file linked in the guide to extract properly.

As this is the most risky part of the whole process I thought I would ask for some advice before continuing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to inject FBI on your sysnand the same way you did on your emunand, then devmode -> install sysupdater -> update.

D

Deleted-236924

I never used 2.5.2, so I don't really know what it's like and probably wouldn't be able to tell you where to look to get the options you want. I believe there should be an option to start on sysnand in Devmode somewhere, though.

But -only- update with sysupdater if you started sysnand in Devmode.

I -think- Pasta CFW always boots in sysnand, and by default doesn't have firmlaunch so that should be safe to use and possibly easier to get working, but I am not 100% sure of that, so don't do that unless other people confirm that Pasta CFW can be used.

I believe I remember seeing a modified version of homebrew launcher .3dsx that booted pasta mode when you pressed X but I can't find it anymore.

Last edited by ,

dfury197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, I installed FBI on the sysnand with rxtools 2.5.2 and everytime I try and launch FBI in devmode I get a black screen and then "An error has occured" any idea what's going on?

dfury197

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it has something to do with needing a TMD file? But the fbi injection app on 2.5.2 doesn't have this option. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, every since his partner left luke hasn't been the same