TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it powerful enough to emulate GC and Wii games at playable speed?
Heheh...

Ha

Ho ho ho...

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah I know you were just curious. But still funny. :P it has a cutting edge mobile processor, dude... You need something pretty hefty that's not mobile to near-perfectly emulate GCN/Wii games

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the developer of the Android version of Dolphin did say that the Tegra 4 should run GC games at playable speeds. But, then again, I wouldn't want to be seen with this monstrosity in public, which defeats the purpose.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, the developer of the Android version of Dolphin did say that the Tegra 4 should run GC games at playable speeds. But, then again, I wouldn't want to be seen with this monstrosity in public, which defeats the purpose.
Wait a minute... There's an Android version of Dolphin?

This is news to me... :eek:

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ha yes.
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Threa...ead-donations-for-dolphin-android-development

Consider Nvidia Shield has a monster GPU compared to S4 and co. There's a chance it could emulate slightly better. Quad A15 isn't the bottleneck, more than good enough, but mobile GPU isn't good in today's phones for this emulation.
Except the official Google play store description says that it's completely unplayable beyond 1 frame per second, even with the "most powerful android device in the world". Sounds like the actual progress on the app is what's causing the current performance, not necessarily the devices themselves.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would have been worth money if it had a x86 processor instead of this Tegra crap. It could have used a custom build of Android x86 and also some other OS (Like Win 7/8) rather then just be an over-priced Xperia Play 2.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
It it me or its just damn ugly?
NVIDIA should have inspired their design from the pandora console adding a physical keyboard it would be much more attractive to me.
Hopefully they don't get inspired by OpenPandoras refund and pre-order design.

Pre-order = waiting years and still not getting it, despite them sending them out to people who didn't even pre-order
Refunds = 9 months of waiting for a cheque which is still yet to arrive.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really considering this thing. Gotta get a nice Nvidia in this computer first though. And by that point, maybe it'll go down in price to that "just right" level.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
LMAO this won't last long!
shield meet the virtual boy you'll soon be joining it :creep:
Just because something is niche doesn't mean it's bad. Sure, it doesn't look great but if it's comfortable and plays well I'm all for it since I don't spend my time with a console looking at its aesthetics.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I can go buy an android tablet with a tegra 3 chip cheaper than this thing and it will be almost the same minus a bluetooth analog controller which is EASY to add!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would have been worth money if it had a x86 processor instead of this Tegra crap. It could have used a custom build of Android x86 and also some other OS (Like Win 7/8) rather then just be an over-priced Xperia Play 2.

Except the people who made the device is the same people who made Tegra and Intel is just starting to come out with chips to even compete in the moblie space. Link

As a bonus. :P Link

This is nothing like the Xperia Play.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It it me or its just damn ugly?
NVIDIA should have inspired their design from the pandora console adding a physical keyboard it would be much more attractive to me.
It looks marvelous to me. I'm kinda tired of thin, brick-shaped handhelds. It may not fit in your pocket but at least it won't give you hand cramps.

I would buy one of these if it wasn't $350. I'd be playin' FPse on this thing allll day. It would also be nice if it had a 1080p display but that's not really a huge deal.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine the heat from that device under heavy CPU/GPU load would deep fry your legs.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except the people who made the device is the same people who made Tegra and Intel is just starting to come out with chips to even compete in the moblie space. Link

As a bonus. :P Link

This is nothing like the Xperia Play.

Your right, its worse and more expensive.

It doesn't matter if Intel's chips cant compete with Tegras, the use of x86 structure over the basic ARM everyone and their mum is using gives them a massive advantage. Hell, add a inch or so and stuff a Atom in there.

Better yet, Razer was selling plans and designs of the Switchblade prototype out, a WORKING prototype. You're not going to tell me a hardware giant like Nvidia can't drop a few bucks to make something worth selling, rather then just another device that's been done, and only contends to a niche market.

And also while we're at it, can someone tell me what the hell having a certain model of graphics card has to do with whether I can stream or not?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo