Atari Announces Pre-Sale Date And Price For Its New Console, The 'Atari VCS'

atari vcs official.JPG

Atari's peculiar comeback in the console market was announced a while back. During that time the console's name changed from Ataribox to Atari VCS but we had yet to hear about a release date. In a press release today, Atari lifted the veil from some questions.

Pre-sales of its new Atari VCS hardware platform will start May 30, 2018. The pre-sale is exclusive to Indiegogo and features the time-limited Atari VCS Collector's Edition featuring the special retro-inspired wood-front:
Wood with TV (1).jpg

In addition to the Collector's Edition, fans will have the option to pre-order the Atari VCS Onyx, a sleek black version. Early-bird Atari VCS packages will be offered, including the Onyx starting at $199 USD for a limited period of time.

header_high (1).jpg

Other packages will include the Classic Joystick and Modern Controller. Initial Atari VCS shipments are planned for Spring 2019. Fans who have signed up for "insider" email alerts at AtariVCS.com before May 24, 2018 will be eligible for special purchase incentives during the pre-sale.

The company also announced that it has partnered with AMD who will provide the Atari VCS custom processor with Radeon Graphics Technology.

Other features of the console announced include:
  • Support for 4K resolution, HDR and 60FPS content
  • Onboard and expandable storage options
  • Dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0
  • USB 3.0 support
A complete list of Atari VCS product specs will be posted with the pre-sale according to the press release.

Rather than being used solely for gaming, the Atari VCS aims to be a multimedia hub with access to other media and streaming options.

As an homage to the past, Atari VCS will cover the classics with the included Atari Vault of more than 100 classic games, including all-time arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids, Centipede, Breakout, Missile Command, Gravitar and Yars' Revenge; a growing list of games, especially a full range of popular modern titles, will be announced at later dates.

"We continue moving forward on the Atari VCS project and are excited to see this pre-sale kickoff and to share more updates with our fans as we look toward the first shipments," notes Michael Arzt, Atari COO of Connected Devices. "We are building outstanding teams and forging alliances that will make this product great and truly worthy of the Atari VCS name. Expert hardware partners are helping make this project possible and we couldn't be more pleased with their contributions."

Do you think that there is a place for a fourth competitor in the gaming console market or does this feel like OUYA 2.0? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Atari VCS Indiegogo Campaign Page

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
there console does not read phisical games or any media so i wonder who will make an AAA game that is digital only and advertising what a new game is out download it now on atari shop?
If i may ask, where did you get the information that it won't read physical games or any media?

Apart from the concept design in the original post, in which it may be changed, i do not see any official announcement that it is true. This console is all a concept or plan until it materializes and we see more on the official trailer. Even if the official specs is released, does not gurantee if it will be the final design.

If what you said is true, then this console in my opinion will be a flop. Not everyone wants to rely in internet connection and having a device with just Digital releases, constantly relying on a high bandwidth internet connection, downloading high sized films, high sized games like 30-100GB just to experience a AAA game, no physical releases, etc.

If this console is limited to and dedicated to only one group of people, it will not catch too much attention. This is what the switch does very well that is why it sells high.
People who liked docked mode can play, people who liked portable can play.
PS4 can be used even without internet connection, can play multimedia device, likwise for the xBox.

Forward is the way to progress. If this console runs backwards, it has no place on the future generations.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If i may ask, where did you get the information that it won't read physical games or any media?

Apart from the concept design in the original post, in which it may be changed, i do not see any official announcement that it is true. This console is all a concept or plan until it materializes and we see more on the official trailer. Even if the official specs is released, does not gurantee if it will be the final design.

If what you said is true, then this console in my opinion will be a flop. Not everyone wants to rely in internet connection and having a device with just Digital releases, constantly relying on a high bandwidth internet connection, downloading high sized films, high sized games like 30-100GB just to experience a AAA game, no physical releases, etc.

If this console is limited to and dedicated to only one group of people, it will not catch too much attention. This is what the switch does very well that is why it sells high.
PS4 can be used even without internet connection, can play multimedia device, likwise for the xBox.

Forward is the way to progress. If this console runs backwards, it has no place on the future generations.
you can look at it see the actual pictures they keep posting and see it has no way to read media...

no disc drive and no cartrige slot so no way to read media, it has usb ports but they wont release games on usb sticks becuase costs would be astronomical since devs already complain about switch cartriges let alone usb sticks with games lol.Not to mention they keep saying it will have 100 atari games installed if it had a disc rive or a cartrige slot they would have said something, this is aa digital only box for sure.

Last edited by pedro702,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

People seem to be just fine with the Shield, which also is digital-only

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
you can look at it see the actual pictures they keep posting and see it has no way to read media...

no disc drive and no cartrige slot so no way to read media, it has usb ports but they wont release games on usb sticks becuase costs would be astronomical since devs already complain about switch cartriges let alone usb sticks with games lol.Not to mention they keep saying it will have 100 atari games installed if it had a disc rive or a cartrige slot they would have said something, this is aa digital only box for sure.
But.... that is an indiegogo picture. it was a concept picture and the actual hardware they showcased was nothing but a designed box with lights and is not functional. You could post on indiegogo with absolutely nothing and collect pre orders.

But yeah. The picture says that it has no hardware media inputs. I just would not agree with you 100% at the moment until it gets official trailer or specs. Or at least when it goes out apart from indiegogo

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
But.... that is an indiegogo picture. it was a concept picture and the actual hardware they showcased was nothing but a designed box with lights and is not functional. You could post on indiegogo with absolutely nothing and collect pre orders.

But yeah. The picture says that it has no hardware media inputs. I just would not agree with you 100% at the moment until it gets official trailer or specs. Or at least when it goes out apart from indiegogo
you seriously belive they will have a bluray driver? lol of course they dont, if it did that or a cartrige slot it would have been said since it would be a big push even if people just wanted to see blurays and such, they never stated anything at all if it had i bet they would have stated also the pre orders start in like 4 days so if it readed any phisical edia it would have said so.

heck their press release stated this extra functions

• USB 3.0 support

if it readed blurays or cartriges they would have stated so in there.

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
you seriously belive they will have a bluray driver? lol of course they dont, if it did that or a cartrige slot it would have been said since it would be a big push even if people just wanted to see blurays and such, they never stated anything at all if it had i bet they would have stated also the pre orders start in like 4 days so if it readed any phisical edia it would have said so.

heck their press release stated this extra functions

• USB 3.0 support

if it readed blurays or cartriges they would have stated so in there.
Im not limited to bluray drivers. My point is i will not believe that the feautures will be limited to what we see in the pictures as it is not the official release. Only atari can tell what is and what's not included.

Last edited by chirogan,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Im not limited to bluray drivers. My point is i will not believe that the feautures will be limited to what we see in the pictures as it is not the official release.
keep on dreaming then and wait for the disapointement i guess, they did stated this was open linux moded OS so being basicaly a newer steam machine with an atari shop to buy atari VC games makes all the sence and it can run low spec required games that are released on linux too.

just wait and see.

Reactions: DarthDub

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
keep on dreaming then and wait for the disapointement i guess, they did stated this was open linux moded OS so being basicaly a newer steam machine with an atari shop to buy atari VC games makes all the sence and it can run low spec required games that are released on linux too.

just wait and see.
Im not dreaming. I just do not believe that the whole specs and features atari has to offer is limited to your assumptions. And i do not demand them to do what i want. It is what they offer. If they make it desirable and include all/most of the features i want, i will buy. If not, then i wont buy. Lets Just wait for the official specifications and not be closed minded.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER