Hacking NTRBoot Flashcards Info Request & Info

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I have an R4i Gold 3DS that is not supported by NTR Flasher.

The flash cart was purchased in January 2012, although the label has since worn off it used to look like this:
Front.jpg

The back of the cartridge looks like this:
Back.JPG

When inserted, it shows up as this on the Home Menu:
Screen.png

I have also taken some pictures of the internals (spoiler tag because of large images):
Internal 01.JPG

Internal 02.JPG
When attempting to dump the flash on NTR Flasher 0.1.2 (using O3DS/11.5 FW/B9S 1.2/Luma3DS 8.1.1), the following error message is displayed:
Dumping flash
ChipID: 00000FC2
HW Rev: A6A6A6A6
Supported cartridge not detected!

The cartridge itself runs off the Wood kernel downloaded from r4ids.cn and does seem to be flashable because I remember a while back using an updater that changed the title and icon displayed on the Home Menu in order to support newer 3DS and DSi firmwares. It's possible that this is a clone that looks really similar to a real R4i Gold 3DS RTS but somehow just isn't compatible.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
I have an R4i Gold 3DS RTS that is not supported by NTR Flasher.

The flash cart was purchased in late 2011, although the label has since worn off it used to look like this:
View attachment 96518
The back of the cartridge looks like this:
View attachment 96520

When inserted, it shows up as this on the Home Menu:
View attachment 96521

I have also taken some pictures of the internals (spoiler tag because of large images):
When attempting to dump the flash on NTR Flasher 0.1.2 (using O3DS/11.5 FW/B9S 1.2/Luma3DS 8.1.1), the following error message is displayed:
Dumping flash
ChipID: 00000FC2
HW Rev: A6A6A6A6
Supported cartridge not detected!

The cartridge itself runs off the Wood kernel downloaded from r4ids.cn and does seem to be flashable because I remember a while back using an updater that changed the title and icon displayed on the Home Menu in order to support newer 3DS and DSi firmwares. It's possible that this is a clone that looks really similar to a real R4i Gold 3DS RTS but somehow just isn't compatible.
upload_2017-8-21_17-10-48.png

This is a picture of the supported cartridge, which looks identical to yours. It should work? Perhaps you got a fake one?

Reactions: NekoMichi

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
View attachment 96524
This is a picture of the supported cartridge, which looks identical to yours. It should work? Perhaps you got a fake one?
It's possible that some group was making fakes and slapping on an identical label to them. If that's the case, props to them though, because the packaging and contents are 100% identical to the real one, even down to the included micro SD adaptor. It runs the same kernel and uses the same icon etc.

I just found an image from someone who opened up a real R4i Gold 3DS RTS, and the internals are visibly different to mine [source]. This is theirs:
Official Internal.png

Either mine's a fake or some rare hardware revision that isn't supported. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
The real cart has a 5 components marked C and 9 components marked R. Mine is the same, except with only 8 Rs.

Here's a clearer image from a real cart:
WP_0000681.jpg

Something to note is that both real cartridges have a "C" printed above the right-most pin whereas mine has a "9". This is visible even with the casing assembled. It's possible that mine's an earlier hardware revision that does not support NTR flashing.

Nenno_Boy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IMG_8221.JPG

Does this flashcard have a NAND?
I know this method is new and we know almost nothing about which flashcarts can an cannot be used, i just want to know.

P.S.: If we use the magnet can we use the flashcard without triggering the blacklist?

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I think it's flashable because I remember I once updated
it (so that it could be used in newer firmwares andcould play newer games)

It appears to be a R4i 3DS RTS clone

Wood kernel based

A picture of the insides of the card

Also of the outsides
LUgqNtG_d.jpg

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
@Lia I figured it out, there are multiple hardware revisions of the R4i Gold 3DS RTS, mine is an earlier one.
The hardware revision number can be found printed above the right-most pin:
44mxmhL.jpg
The cart I have has hardware revision number 9, the ones most commonly used are revision C. At least, according to this image of a working one anyway:
whv91fD.jpg

I've also uploaded high-res images of my cart:
VKhvIlX.jpg

a1ZlJ8g.jpg
The ones used in NTRBoot have an R9 component, earlier revisions don't. This might be useful for those who want to find out which hardware revision they have.
Revision 9 does support flashing though, I don't know if it's just a matter of updating NTR Boot Flasher to detect and support this model, or if it's not possible.

twistibex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm looking for the following information on NTRBoot flashcards:
  • Clones of supported cards
  • Flashable cards which have the potential to be flashed
  • Cards with a ROM which will never be supported
  • Whether these cards are clones or not
Thanks!

Flashable
These are cards which have the potential to work with NTRBoot

Compatible
- Acekard 2i HW-44
- Acekard 2i HW-81
- R4i Gold 3DS RTS
- R4i Gold 3DS RTS (r4ids variant) (clone)
- R4 3D Revolution (r4idsn variant) (clone)
- R4i 3DS (r4ids variant) (clone)
- R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition (r4ids variant) (clone)

Planned
- R4 SDHC Dualcore (In progress)
- DSTT (In progress)
- Supercard DS2

Possible
- Supercard DSOne i
- Supercard DSOne i mini
- R4i DS Happy Box 2.0 (clone)
- R4i DS Happy Box 2.0 3DS (clone)

Don't go waiting for these to be supported - they probably won't be!

Not Flashable
These are cards which will never work with NTRBoot

Not working
- Supercard DSOne
- Supercard DSOne SDHC
- R4 Revolution for NDS/NDSL
- R4 Neo (clone)

To check for a working NTRBoot card clone, run NTRBoot flasher. If it shows up as another supported card (Acekard or R4i cards), it's a clone.

Remember that flashing NTRBoot to a clone will possibly result in a brick. For this reason, the supported cards listed on https://github.com/kitling/ntrboot_flasher will be the only cards officially supported.

R4itt Support ? http://www.r4itt.net/en_US_gamekernel.html .... I think they could work with ntrboothax, because you can install firmware updates on those flashcards

Last edited by twistibex,

Shadicluigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

GibWaffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I've ordered the R4i Gold 3DS RTS from nds-card a few days ago just for boothax. Now I'm concerned that I'll get the unsupported version. Has anyone bought from them recently and can confirm they are selling the version that's compatible? (The "c" revision and not the "9" one)

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've ordered the R4i Gold 3DS RTS from nds-card a few days ago just for boothax. Now I'm concerned that I'll get the unsupported version. Has anyone bought from them recently and can confirm they are selling the version that's compatible? (The "c" revision and not the "9" one)
Actually about that...
It seems that all R4i Gold 3DS cartridges beyond revision 6 can support EEPROM flashing. Revision 9 even has twice the EEPROM capacity of revision C. I'm not sure if rev. 9 was left out accidentally or if it can't support NTRBoot due to technical reasons.

Chaseb615

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with.
So, I bought a r4i 3ds gold, it's the right version forsure. I'm currently waiting for it to get here.
So my question, once I stick my sd card in there, should it only have the ntrboot file on it? Or do I need to put the r4i firmware on it first, then put the ntrboot file.

Also, in the guide to flash ntrboot, it says "launch ntrboot using your flashcart" does that mean, launch the r4 card as if you were going to play a rom, but then select the ntrboot file instead?

Tia for any advice.

Last edited by Chaseb615,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with.
So, I bought a r4i 3ds gold, it's the right version forsure. I'm currently waiting for it to get here.
So my question, once I stick my sd card in there, should it only have the ntrboot file on it? Or do I need to put the r4i firmware on it first, then put the ntrboot file.

Also, in the guide to flash ntrboot, it says "launch ntrboot using your flashcart" does that mean, launch the r4 card as if you were going to play a rom, but then select the ntrboot file instead?

Tia for any advice.
You'll need the R4i firmware files (the Wood kernel) on the flash cart's micro SD card as well as the NTRBoot .nds file. Launch the installer as if it were a DS game from the flash cart.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS work? It is apparently a clone of DSTT according to @Dark-samus here: https://github.com/kitling/flashcart_core/issues/14#issuecomment-323449023
I'm not sure, looking at the PCB for both it seems like the DSTT has a flash chip that says "SPANSION" on it and it's more rectangular than what appears to be the flash chip on the card lavanoid posted.
That's enough of a difference that I doubt supporting DSTT will support the r4i sdhc 3ds rts.
But I don't know what really makes clones clones.

It looks like a DSOnei also has a SPANSION chip but the DsOi mini has some MX chip

Last edited by BerserkLeon,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone