GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's how I see it:

- 1. simple plateform
- 2. (JP) Lost level (Sequel to Mario1. same core)
- 2. (US) more adventure/exploration felling, new characters.
- 3. map system, flying,

- 4. (mario world), improved graphics thanks to Snes power, New yoshi, multiple route and secrets, new items and powers. But might be considered technically like a mix of all three old ones. (it's my favorite in the series)

- 64 new 3D world (very inovative)
- Sunshine: Same as M64, 3D world, not inovative on the game mechanics (3D maps), only the water spring system is new. You even "go inside walls" like on M64! very similar I tell you!

- Galaxy: Still 3D, but a new core, a new gameplay.
- Galaxy2: (sequel, nothing new), I didn't like the level selection back to a more linear system

- New super mario Bros Wii: New core, co-op multiplayer
- NSMB2: sequel, same core, same element, nothing new
- NSMBWiiU: Same core (new graphics, new effects, etc.), Map system and multi-routes, Online play/trophy system

Reactions: 3 people

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's how I see it:

- 1. simple plateform
- 3. map system, flying,

- 4. (mario world), improved graphics thanks to Snes power, New yoshi, multiple route and secrets, new items and powers. But might be considered technically like a mix of all three old ones. (it's my favorite in the series)

- Sunshine: Same as M64, 3D world, not inovative on the game mechanics (3D maps), only the water spring system is new.

- Galaxy2 (sequel, nothing new)

- NSMBWiiU: Same core (new graphics, new effects, etc.), Map system and multi-routes, Online play/trophy system

Dash Mario?

And the only reason why the old Marios were so different from others was 1) technology and 2) at the time, almost NOTHING was done.

Show me something they can do in NSMBU that's sooooo drastically different from every other Mario game out there that HASN'T been done before.

Oh, and look, another Mario game comparison that leaves out Lost Levels.

Funny how you included NSMB2 and Galaxy 2 and yet left out the ONE game that proves ya wrong.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's how I see it:

- 1. simple plateform
- 3. map system, flying,

- Sunshine: Same as M64, 3D world, not inovative on the game mechanics (3D maps), only the water spring system is new.

- Galaxy2 (sequel, nothing new)

Dash Mario?

And the only reason why the old Marios were so different from others was 1) technology and 2) at the time, almost NOTHING was done.

Show me something they can do in NSMBU that's sooooo drastically different from every other Mario game out there that HASN'T been done before.

Funny how you included NSMB2 and Galaxy 2 and yet left out the ONE game that proves ya wrong.
Uh, they could add guns and blood? That'd make it way better.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dash Mario?
I don't have NSMB2, sorry :P
but I see it as a sequel (same setting as Galaxy -> Galaxy2)

I did it from memory. I didn't include all mario games (missing, paint, RPG, paper, etc.) there are 100+ Mario games, all different.
You can place lost levels in "sequel of NSMB1" too.
I listed "sequels" in the list (galaxy2 is sequel to galaxy1, etc.), I'm not saying sequel never existed.
But they didn't made 4-5 games (I lost the count) using the same core until now.

What I compared here is not the look, but that they re-used the same Wii devkit core for WiiU instead of creating a new one.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Point I'm making is why the hell are you so hellbent on wanting the core of NSMB to change so goddamn much?

1) Any changes they make won't really benefit its innovation since SOMETHING in there is done in SOME WAY by SOMEONE/SOMETHING ELSE.

2) Why "fix" what isn't broken? And don't take this literally, because there are somethings that could be changed (some of the physics, for one) in its core, but why do something like, make Mario have a backflip? Is that really important?

3) Any MAJOR change will deviate from the series' main (and forgotten) purpose, which is to basically give a modern take to the SMB series. Why do you think the series is so hung to nostalgia? Because its SUPPOSE to be. People stop reading the title "New Super Mario Bros." at the word "New", assuming its suppose to be entirely new to the Mario series as a whole, when if you read the FULL title, you can have some context on why SOME things in NSMB are the way they are.

Don't get me wrong, NSMBU does a lot of new things. New power-ups, heavily changed/improved artstyle, new gameplay modes, new music, new themes, and NSMB2 certainly reuse things from other NSMB (which it really isn't suppose to do since people find it more lazy for a series to draw influence from itself than to its ancestors, hence why reactions to NSMB2 and NSMBU are like day and night.) But if any of these games did TOO many new things, it wouldn't be NSMB. Likewise, if it did too little new things, reaction would be lukewarm.

In other words, stop wanting to change NSMB drastically, and appreciate the changes it does do. Want a 2D Mario game with a leap like SMW to SM64? We could very well have that since NSMBU will most likely be the last NSMB for a while.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they want to make a stellar (no pun intended for later reference) 2D Mario game, I suggest they style it after the 2D levels of SMG2. Those felt different. It had the SMG aesthetic (a very positive one) as well as more free flowing gameplay and better mechanics. It's really that simple.

And the whole "But if it changes it wouldn't be NSMB!" argument is rather dull. People bash CoD and the like all the time for not changing but the same argument could easily apply to it.

Reactions: 2 people

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree, don't fix it not broken, and use it if there's a working one instead of making a new core, not a new game in the 'nsmb' series. (don't spend money on making something if there are still a stable working model, I fully understand that and I can't blame them to make money instead of loosing it on creating something different).
I just pointed that they "could" make something different. Maybe they ARE doing something different but didn't have time to complete it for the launch window so they didn't reveal it yet.

The full point of this discussion is that the WiiU game does look like the Wii game. (not talking about improved graphics due to hardware).

When they announced the mario game, I thought "oh no, another NSMB", because that's what it is: a game in the "NSMB" series. NOT a new series.

Edit:
You wanted me to provide a new idea which doesn't feel like something already done?
Here's an idea for a new "core":
A very big 3D world without sub levels. like Windwaker you could explore everything in one map, you could go from one point to another with different paths, could have missions and feel like a mix of action/plateform/adventure.
Like a "Mario and Luigi" but in 3D, with stars to find in a 3D world.

For example, in Mario sunshine, you "pass through the wall, select your level, and are teleported to the windmill map".
instead of "loading different level at the same place and choose your star to find", why not make it a real place in the big world? Why not make a walking path from the city to the windmill?

Each found star could make the story advanced and unlock other missions elsewhere. making sub stories, etc.
The Wii-U is powerful enough to stop making a level selector (it was required when consoles weren't powerful enough, like random encounter in RPG was when they couldn't display enemies).

Reactions: 1 person

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the whole "But if it changes it wouldn't be NSMB!" argument is rather dull. People bash CoD and the like all the time for not changing but the same argument could easily apply to it.

You're not reading what I say at all. Too many gratuitous, GIANT changes would make NSMB not NSMB. Wanting a big ass leap like SMW to SM64 would make NSMB not like NSMB.

Would a Wario Land game be a Wario Land game if it was too much like NSMB? No. Would a NSMB game be a NSMB game if it was too much like Wario Land? No. Would COD be COD if it was anything other than a FPS? No.

If you check out reactions to recent NSMBU news, there's WAY more positive reactions to it. People who didn't like NSMB like NSMBU. People who didn't think of buying NSMBU now want to. Why? Because its making changes that's new and improved, but it is still what is essentially a modern take on Super Mario World. This game does new things like, new themes, bringing back Baby Yoshi and large overworlds, new music, making Yoshi (hopefully) NOT limited. Reactions MAY be even better if almost EVERYTHING was changed, but they might as well make it a new series.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is the case then I don't want a NSMB game any more. They can change it up, they have plenty of times. If this is the case then it's time to change gears to "We don't need another NSMB game anymore."

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is the case then I don't want a NSMB game any more.

Then don't buy it. You can't stop it, the freaking series makes more than the 3D series, it isn't going away forever. There isn't anything terribly wrong with it, its still a great series, with great level design, and when it brings in something new, it'll massively impressive. You have no excuse to keep on paying attention if you don't want it.

See ya. Bye-bye.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess they'll never do another Super Mario platformer without those stupid motion controls... Darn.

That's the one thing that really ruined NSMBW for me.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess they'll never do another Super Mario platformer without those stupid motion controls...

Shaking a controller once is SOOOO stupid. Especially since if you have the GamePad or Pro Controller, you don't have to shake because its mapped to the ZR button now.

So stupid.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread has been derailed to hell and back.

Show of hands, whose sitting around here waiting for another argument?

How about you 100 guests there?

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, don't attention whore because you "think" you've won an argument. I've read all of the argument, and all I saw was Guild saying
"They need to change/improve the core of the game because it's literally the same as the Wii version with a couple of lame twists!" The problem is,
every time he says that, you reply with "BUT LOOK HOW PRETTY THE ARTWORK IS, DON'T TELL ME THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING,
LOOK AT THE ART!" Don't get me wrong, the art is perfectly fine, but undeniably this is just a nice graphics version of NSMBW with Boost Rush
or whatever you call it. Boost Rush isn't the game mechanic changing savior this series needs.

Like you said, there is key things that need work, like little physics things, but there's also BIG things we need to see change, like environments for stages,
new enemies, maybe introduce new puzzles to the series, stop using the Koopalings, etc. etc. etc.

It just needs change, and none of that change I listed above would deviate it from being NSMB.

Reactions: 3 people

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If this is the case then I don't want a NSMB game any more. They can change it up, they have plenty of times. If this is the case then it's time to change gears to "I don't need another NSMB game anymore."
Fixed :P

As always Guild, you are trying way too much. Always on the mission to convince the Nintendrones. You don't like it, don't buy it :ninja:

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like you said, there is key things that need work, like little physics things, but there's also BIG things we need to see change, like environments for stages,
new enemies, maybe introduce new puzzles to the series, stop using the Koopalings, etc. etc. etc.

It just needs change, and none of that change I listed above would deviate it from being NSMB.

I LOVE it when you people say that this game needs this and that, and it already has it.

1) Layer Cake Desert with the dessert melting and the Boo level inspired by Vincent van f***ing Gogh. Enough said.

2) New enemies? What, the flying squirrels, Acorn Goombas, and giant white eel don't exist?

3) I'm pretty sure the Balloon, Bulb, and Bubble Baby Yoshi will bring new puzzles, especially since the game is more heavy on exploration and secrets.

4) Remember when the Koopalings were the ensemble darkhorse of the main Mario series? They've only currently appeared in two games, and now people don't want them. Isn't that nice?

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
Shaking a controller once is SOOOO stupid. Especially since if you have the GamePad or Pro Controller, you don't have to shake because its mapped to the ZR button now.

So stupid.

Yes. Yes, to me it is stupid.
Because you say it isn't stupid doesn't mean it's not stupid to me or anyone else.

Just because you can be bothered to shake, stir and wave that remote all day doesn't mean other people, who have been used to playing Super Mario for decades just by pressing buttons, can be bothered to frantically shake that thing to make Mario move.
And the ZR button, which is only for NSMBU, is only on the tablet.

Also, the thread has not been derailed. We're still discussing NSMBU.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So stupid.

Yes. Yes, to me it is stupid.
Because you say it isn't stupid doesn't mean it's not stupid to me or anyone else.

Just because you can be bothered to shake, stir and wave that remote all day doesn't mean other people, who have been used to playing Super Mario for decades just by pressing buttons, can be bothered to frantically shake that thing to make Mario move.
And the ZR button, which is only for NSMBU, is only on the tablet.

Also, the thread has not been derailed. We're still discussing NSMBU.

Its not like its DKCR, you don't even really NEED to shake if you know the insides of the levels and what not.

And the ZR button, which ISN'T "only" for NSMBU, is on the Pro Controller, and its a definite fact that everyone who gets a Wii U will have the tablet.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Guild
Maybe what you want is the NSMB games to take a new art direction like Kirby Wii and DKCR did?
206805-header.jpg

RVL_DKCReturns_06ss03_E3.jpg

Don't get me wrong. So far I'm enjoying NSMB2 thanks to the addictive Coin Rush, but on the other hand, I'm getting the feel of sameyness, not only in the graphical style, but also in the plot as well. Here's a comparison regarding the 2D games:

Super Mario Bros.:
SMB: Kingdom is invaded. Peach is kidnapped.
SMB3: The kings of the neighboring kingdoms are being attacked by the Koopalings. Mario and Luigi to the rescue.
SMW: Mario, Luigi and Peach go on a vacation to Dinosaur Land. But Peach is missing short after landing. The brothers meet Yoshi on their way of their rescue.

New Super Mario Bros.:
NSMB: Peach is kidnapped.
NSMBW: Peach is kidnapped.
NSMB2: Peach is kidnapped.
NSMBU: ??

The point is that they made better excuse plots in the original 2D games, as well as the 3D games than they are currently doing with the NSMB games.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
Its not like its DKCR, you don't even really NEED to shake if you know the insides of the levels and what not.

And the ZR button, which ISN'T "only" for NSMBU, is on the Pro Controller, and its a definite fact that everyone who gets a Wii U will have the tablet.

One needs to actually play and finish the game to know the insides of the levels.
And I really don't want to buy 3 or 4 Pro Controllers to be able to play this game in a normal way with my friends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Kaden maybe contact the staff? I don't know how all that works