Hacking now repairing, DO NOT POWER OFF

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
At least the newer Priiloaders don't seem to do this.
At least not my 0.4beta today
blink.gif

Lord_Zycon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi again,

SanGor
- I bought a new Wii and it did the same thing!! hehe No seriously!
- Yeah I appreciated from reading this forum it only 'bricked' the Wii for 24-hours, and I did Sync them via the red buttons, actually one controller came pre-synced the other I did. But neither seemed to work when the "Repairing, DO NOT POWER OFF" message came up and pressing 'A' did Nothing.

- As to 'Read this thread' I am! I always check out user forums even before I buy something and for Wii this Forum seemed as good as it gets!

nbanyures
- Your tip worked!! In a fashion, Just pressing A+1+2 together did nothing so I rebooted holding down A+1+2, I then seemed to get a single light on the Controller (Synced!) I then pressed A and got some new update screen, I then selected the system menu option and quickly changed the date to 2nd April, 2010. Still not 100% sure of the exact order of things and exactly what worked, but something based on your tip worked!

So a BIG THANKS!, still not sure why I did'nt see that tip before I posted.

OK following up if anyone can point me in the right direction of WHICH program caused this and, do I need it, and if not how do I delete it?
What would you experts recommend I should uninstall / install / replace based on my previous list?

I would be grateful.

LZ

r3dcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Stupid April 1st Jokes both in preloader & config usb loader ... why stress out users and/or potentially cause as a response to "repair attempts" bricking ??? ... that is just nasty!!!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lord_Zycon said:
Hi All,

New Post April, 1st 2010

Darn I must be unlucky, bought a Wii for my Son's Birthday 30th March 2010, less than 2-days later I get:....

Now Repairing..............
DO NOT POWER OFF

And a 10-year old son in tears... Yeah really funny April Fool's joke! I thought a joke was suposed to be funny, don't see the humour in bricking a Wii, even if it is for 24-hours.
BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
rofl2.gif

Ahem...

sorry about that. It's just that I can just imagine what's going on over there. It's just my sense of humor, that's all.

But serious: as you found out, your wii isn't bricked. It's just a joke from the creator. I can understand very well that you don't like it, but it teaches an important lesson:

don't mess with things you don't know anything about.

Hacking a wii involves some research, some testing and perhaps a bit of skill (the stickied tutorial should provide you with all that you need). Buying a hacked wii is usually frowned down upon here. Partially because 3rd parties make money that the ones who actually do all the hard work do it for free. But also because those 3rd parties are often too lazy to keep up with newer thingumies, and the customers often don't want to know about those things.

Take preloader. A very useful program, but it has its limitations. In a way, it's much better to discover that homebrew isn't perfect by means of this innocent joke than by a bug that would actually cause your wii some harm.
That's why there are updates. The solution is rather simple: install the latest version of priiloader. Normally, you should be able to install it straight over preloader, but remember what I said about messing with things you don't know anything about. It basically comes down to the fact that you're responsible for your wii. It may brick, it may be fine. It all comes down to how well you know what you're doing.

Oh, and something for your son: tell him never to update the wii (either from the disc channel or because some game asks him to), but in case it does happen, never to try to stop it the hard way. In normal cases, that should be fine. But considering that you've got a hacked wii, it isn't so much a "normal case" anymore, so it's harder to predict what will happen.

In that way, his tears aren't so bad. I bet he understands now that playing backups isn't without risk...

(and I know this all sounds more dangerous than it actually is...but it'll never be totally safe).

Cheers,

Wever

Lord_Zycon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Wever, Thanks!

Agree with all you say, and I'll be making sure I read up and Understand before I get to put things right on this Wii.

Although a Brit, I am living in Malaysia and Nintendo do NOT market Wii or DS in Malaysia so we are stuck with grey market imported machines. The cheaper versions of these come from Korea but then if you want to play UK / European Games you have all the region lock issues.
Hence they come it pre-hacked and from what I can tell from reading this forum for 2-days they make a right hash of it. So bit by bit I will understand what is actually installed and delete / upgrade using this forum as a reference.

For instance I've learnt today priiloader is not a spelling mistake for pre-loader!

thanks again all

Zy

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Lord_Zycon said:
Wever, Thanks!

Agree with all you say, and I'll be making sure I read up and Understand before I get to put things right on this Wii.

Although a Brit, I am living in Malaysia and Nintendo do NOT market Wii or DS in Malaysia so we are stuck with grey market imported machines. The cheaper versions of these come from Korea but then if you want to play UK / European Games you have all the region lock issues.
Hence they come it pre-hacked and from what I can tell from reading this forum for 2-days they make a right hash of it. So bit by bit I will understand what is actually installed and delete / upgrade using this forum as a reference.

For instance I've learnt today priiloader is not a spelling mistake for pre-loader!

thanks again all

Zy

Off Topic but how come you didn't buy an US version Wii (admittedly a bit more expensive) compared to the potentially problematic Korean version (with 003 error bricking potential)?

Max2010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me heart was broken when i saw this f...icking shit word! stuped day! It looks
nyanya.gif
like brick! it's not funny, hahaha...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I can't seem to find it's removal in the changelog anymore, but I'm fairly certain the last version of pre/priiloader that had the april fools joke was preloader 0.29... preloader v0.3 and above (including its successor, priiloader) should not have the april fools joke.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it was removed in the final source only release of preloader (0.30) on 6th oct 2009,
that was SIX months ago, 0.29 was released 31th march 2009 one year ago!
If you are using THAT outdated software shame on you!

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crap! I had this problem with 2 Wii's in my house and I deleted the system menu from each one of them thinking that would fix the problem. It didn't......Thanks a lot for the joke. You broke my wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_epmoLeRGA