Emulation Snes9xGx randomly stopped working

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll describe this the best I can so please bear with me for a moment.

I haven't ever had any problems with Snes9xGx before. It was working fine yesterday. But today, it's having multiple problems which are happening consistently.

If I use the Wii classic controller, I can't even get a game to load. When I press A to load a game the screen gets somewhat brighter but it never loads the game (and doesn't even show the loading game message) and no controls work after that. Powering off the wiimote makes the screen go black, but the wii light is still green. I have to hold the power button on the wii down to turn it off.

If I use a gamecube controller, I can get a game to load. But going into the savestate menu, no save states ever show. Just "close" at the top of the screen and "main menu" at the bottom. No controls work after that. Have to hold the power button down to power off the wii.

I'm using Snes9x Gx 4.3.7. It's probably outdated, but I have been using it for years with zero issues. I haven't changed any settings in years either. All I did recently is play a couple games and make some save states. That's it. I highly doubt the version has anything to do with whatever is going on.

I tested fce ultra gx and snes9x rx (the font is much harder to read in that, which is why I never use it) and those were both loading games and even savestates with no problem. I haven't tried making any savestates in them because I'm worried that this might mean my SD card is dying?

So I'm left wondering what's going on here. The only things I can think of is my SD card going (how would I be able to tell?), or my Wii, which I really really hope not.

Does anyone know what could be going on or what to do?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Very weird issue indeed, maybe try clearing the configuration file to reset it to the default parameters and see if this behaviour still occurs?

Also, according to Wiibrew, the latest version is 4.5.4, so it might be a good idea to update it to that version, there are good chances it would fix many things as well as providing numerous improvements over the version you were using up to this point.

Reactions: SylverReZ

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've had this problem before. I usually fix it with a good Re-Format of my SD.
If you have the time, transfer all your files to your PC, Format your SD Card, copy files back and try again.

Might be getting corrupted.

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for the help.

I tried checking for errors on the sd card first, just in case. After that games would load when using the classic controller, but the save state menu still didn't work.

I updated Snes9x Gx, and left the settings file in place. After that it's working right again. Can even load savestates.

It appears to be fixed now but I'm still thoroughly confused what could have gone wrong all of a sudden that the old version of Snes9x Gx became unable to work. It clearly wasn't the settings file being corrupted, because I kept using the old one. Very strange.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto