(Not an ad!) Looking for an impossible-to-find Gateway Laptop

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I am at my wits end. I'm looking for a laptop that is to be a gift for a friend, and all I want is for it to have three qualifications:
  • Gateway brand.
  • Built-in optical drive.
  • Windows 11 capable.
...And I've found nothing. Does such a device exist?!? It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest; just a laptop from up to five years ago will work (but no further back than 2017).

Last edited by HarveyHouston,
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I am at my wits end. I'm looking for a laptop that is to be a gift for a friend, and all I want is for it to have three qualifications:
  • Gateway brand.
  • Built-in optical drive.
  • Windows 11 capable.
...And I've found nothing. Does such a device exist?!?
Gateway branded laptops are nowadays just rebranded cheap Chinesium laptops sold by Wal-Mart of all places, you best be off getting something a lot more decent. Also, most laptops never have optical drives anymore, you can however buy an external optical drive and use that.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway branded laptops are nowadays just rebranded cheap Chinesium laptops sold by Wal-Mart of all places, you best be off getting something a lot more decent.
Probably, but I just want to know if there are any options. I'll decide how crappy they are once I know of one or more models I can look at.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No optical drive. I ran across that too.
Like I said, there's not going to be a laptop with an optical drive nowadays. Your only solution on having one is to buy an external drive, which doesn't cost a whole lot.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, there's not going to be a laptop with an optical drive nowadays. Your only solution on having one is to buy an external drive, which doesn't cost a whole lot.
It doesn't have to be the absolute latest model. One from up to five years ago that meets these specs I will look into.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't have to be the absolute latest model. One from up to five years ago that meets these specs I will look into.

You probably have to look for mid 2010's laptop then, it might be hard to find one that support windows 11, windows 11 require Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
Post automatically merged:

The optical drive thing can be easily solved with usb to optical drive if your friend is okay with that.

SylverReZ

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You probably have to look for mid 2010's laptop then, it might be hard to find one that support windows 11, windows 11 require Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
You can also use a modified version of Windows 11 with the TPM check removed.

Reactions: Hayato213

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also use a modified version of Windows 11 with the TPM check removed.
This is what I get for asking in a hacking community... :glare: LOL, JK. It might be worth a shot.
You probably have to look for mid 2010's laptop then, it might be hard to find one that support windows 11, windows 11 require Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. The optical drive thing can be easily solved with usb to optical drive if your friend is okay with that.
Yeah, that may have to be the only way I can resolve this issue. Any backlit keyboard options there?

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure Gateway has only really been targeting fairly low-budget systems after they bought out emachines in the 2000s. Most laptops today won't come with optical drives anymore, let alone budget laptops since they've been on the way out for years now.

The only results i can find of Gateway laptops that advertise disk drives are ones from the early 2010s with the ancient anemic AMD APUs. If your friend is okay with getting a laptop with a different brand you could definitely strike a way better deal on a 2010s laptop with an Intel CPU and a disk drive like an older Dell Latitude or an HP Pavilion. I'd recommend getting an AMD Ryzen laptop, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one with a disk drive. NOTE: If you start shopping around, avoid AMD's "A-Series" and "E-Series" Processors like the plague.

Reactions: Flame and SylverReZ

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally don't think you're going to have a very good experience with running windows 11 on a 2010 laptop. CPU's of that time are not optimized for it at all and will generally run quite poorly. Especially if it's an older AMD APU. I had an old laptop from 2011 with an i3 that I installed Windows 10 on and it did not run very well at all.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't think you're going to have a very good experience with running windows 11 on a 2010 laptop. CPU's of that time are not optimized for it at all and will generally run quite poorly. Especially if it's an older AMD APU. I had an old laptop from 2011 with an i3 that I installed Windows 10 on and it did not run very well at all.
Yes, I can imagine. Fortunately, I am not looking for something quite so old.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
re: USB optical drives.
If you are willing to have a bit more of a chonker of a laptop then I could see a path to internalising such a toy (probably also a USB hub, and if it has a nice USB C on it then maybe something coming out of that) by adapting some kind of shell, cooling jacket or the like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd like to find a power strip and HDMI selector built in 1 unit, so I can select which game...