Hacking [No longer maintained] RajNX - starter pack for Nintendo Switch

tiliarou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a few things of note/ questions based solely on the OP, because I saw 9 pages and noped lol. I've been a lurker here on GBATemp for the past couple of months just thought I'd mention that haha.

1.) Biased how? By forcing a change that only serves a clarity point? (If they were out to silence competition, wouldn't they just delete the entire thing?)

2.) BEST? I'm simply asking because I read the features list, and as a layman, I didn't see ANY advantages to the competition.

+Works on all FW, that's pretty much all RCM based payloads IIRC.
+Supports homebrew via Album...(again, not really exceptional)
+Sigpatching has been a part of at least two other payloads that I can think of, nothing new there.
+ exefs... see above?
+GCUpdate, that one might be "new" I'll grant, but it isn't applicable for those not downgrading/updating (unless I'm missing something)
+ Reduced telemetry. New, but what's the end user's benefit of this?

3.) Two of the listed binaries seem to be in whole, your creation or so it seems, the rest are implements. Not that that's a bad thing, but isn't that a bit.

TL;DR
I know hyperbole is nothing new on the internet, but "best" seems a bit... cocky? Especially seeing as this seems more like patches, updates and linking of other's works (not saying it's bad or unethical) but I just am failing to see that aspect of it? And I want to know what this offers for the end user besides convenience (not to undersell the utility of that)

You listed most of the good points but you decided (base on your usage which I respect) that a lot of them are not actually beneficial (then why list them as a "plus" ?).
I honestly don't really care if it's the best or not, actually that's not the main point...
Does it work ? Is it convenient ? Is it fast ? if you can answer yes to these question is enough for me to use this over other's work.

Reactions: veddermandan

rajkosto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a few things of note/ questions based solely on the OP, because I saw 9 pages and noped lol. I've been a lurker here on GBATemp for the past couple of months just thought I'd mention that haha.

1.) Biased how? By forcing a change that only serves a clarity point? (If they were out to silence competition, wouldn't they just delete the entire thing?)

2.) BEST? I'm simply asking because I read the features list, and as a layman, I didn't see ANY advantages to the competition.

+Sigpatching has been a part of at least two other payloads that I can think of, nothing new there.
+ exefs... see above?
+GCUpdate, that one might be "new" I'll grant, but it isn't applicable for those not downgrading/updating (unless I'm missing something)

3.) Two of the listed binaries seem to be in whole, your creation or so it seems, the rest are implements. Not that that's a bad thing, but isn't that a bit.

TL;DR
I know hyperbole is nothing new on the internet, but "best" seems a bit... cocky? Especially seeing as this seems more like patches, updates and linking of other's works (not saying it's bad or unethical) but I just am failing to see that aspect of it? And I want to know what this offers for the end user besides convenience (not to undersell the utility of that)

Thanks for this detailed report ! But why is this the only CFW thread that you have critiqued like this ?

ExploitJunkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

+ exefs... see above?

TL;DR

TL;DR you have one post you have no creditably I have no other reason to believe this is another shit post propaganda exclusive from the "minion shit team"

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah at least you don't see the Reswitched team doing this ,cause technically they can shut all your CFWs the fuck up lol
No, you only see RS excluding lgtbi people and being as bad people as they could. Or at least, that's the image they give atm to the public.

On topic: Keep working on this. The best you can do is work work work untill this is totally it's own thing. Not quite the same, but this reminds me about some people with the first AuReinand release.
Most people want emunand and the xci loader. Maybe you should pay atention to it.

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this detailed report ! But why is this the only CFW thread that you have critiqued like this ?
My bad, I simply came out of lurking to ask those things, as I figured why not anyways. I was mulling on making an account, then decided to here.
I'm sorry if I came across as vindictive, those were just my questions/ impressions. I'm critical in most of my day to day, but I mean no vitriol.

You listed most of the good points but you decided (base on your usage which I respect) that a lot of them are not actually beneficial (then why list them as a "plus" ?).
I honestly don't really care if it's the best or not, actually that's not the main point...
Does it work ? Is it convenient ? Is it fast ? if you can answer yes to these question is enough for me to use this over other's work.

Pluses were just used to bullet point. I know that it's ultimately subjective and arguably moot, it just (for lack of a better term) bothered me with the wording. I generally dislike when things when things are left vague (especially of an ease of use/ simplicity archive), I'd like to think I'm well versed to a decent degree in these things, but sometimes it is nice to have it put in a way where I read a brief synopsis/ description and get what I'd need to know.

Reactions: DarthDub

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm just glad i was not directed to a discord server.
Honestly, that is a fair point. I went into the discord before to grab one single file, and was getting my discord blown up every single time a comment was made. Drove me bonkers lol. I'm not a huge discord user though.

Is this stupid "this is a cfw, this is not a cfw, that is taken from there,...." really needed?
No. Not needed in general, but for my sake, maybe? I wanted to have the idea sold to me so to speak, if someone is going to say "best" or anything similar, I like to be sold on it, even if meaningless. Simply for curiousity/ clarity's sake and sometimes I like to discuss things for ... fun?

Last edited by Echoing_Mediocrity,

rajkosto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, that is a fair point. I went into the discord before to grab one single file, and was getting my discord blown up every single time a comment was made. Drove me bonkers lol. I'm not a huge discord user though.
No. Not needed in general, but for my sake, maybe? I wanted to have the sold to me so to speak, if someone is going to say "best" or anything similar, I like to be sold on it, even if meaningless.

maybe you should apply the same critical viewpoint to the other CFWs posted on this forum, you will see that there are many similarities.
BEST is subjective, if you do not think it meets that criteria for you subjectively, you are free to use whatever you think is BEST

Last edited by rajkosto,

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe you should apply the same critical viewpoint to the other CFWs posted on this forum, you will see that there are many similarities.
I might actually. I just was reading this, and decided to ask. Again, I don't really care about where you got the files from, and the whole CFW/ redistribution argument, other than that excerpt or two mentioning it, but I'm still wondering on the features if you wouldn't mind indulging me?

EDIT: I only see one other thing advertised as "CFW" and that's ReiNX, which didn't really make any claims in it's OP as far as in a comparative sense, I didn't like that it was pretty vague on what it does, but from lurking I've kind of gathered the utility of the things it did mention; like sigpatches and the like... it's hard(er) to critique a one paragraph brief summary. I pretty much recant the previous questions as after reading the 9 pages, I realize it's been asked 5000x lol. I still am curious as to the benefit to an end user such as myself of this cfw over others though. Not that it's your job or that it really matters in the grand scheme (as my use doesn't affect you too much other than rep and any intrensic value?)

Reactions: DarthDub

ExploitJunkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might actually. I just was reading this, and decided to ask. Again, I don't really care about where you got the files from, and the whole CFW/ redistribution argument, other than that excerpt or two mentioning it, but I'm still wondering on the features if you wouldn't mind indulging me?
Indulge me. Did you even bother reading the OP? Have to ask not many do.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

EDIT: I only see one other thing advertised as "CFW" and that's ReiNX, which didn't really make any claims in it's OP as far as in a comparative sense, I didn't like that it was pretty vague on what it does, but from lurking I've kind of gathered the utility of the things it did mention; like sigpatches and the like... it's hard(er) to critique a one paragraph brief summary. I pretty much recant the previous questions as after reading the 9 pages, I realize it's been asked 5000x lol. I still am curious as to the benefit to an end user such as myself of this cfw over others though. Not that it's your job or that it really matters in the grand scheme (as my use doesn't affect you too much other than rep and any intrensic value?)
By reading the code, you can see that a lot of stuff is heavily based on hekate, a bootloader. The sysmodules used are not different from atmosphere's.
And the problem is that it is being named and was teased as a full cfw.

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indulge me. Did you even bother reading the OP? Have to ask not many do.
I don't blame you, I've seen that many don't (not just here)
I did a somewhat "point by point breakdown" of it in my first post here, directly referring to the OP. I merely didn't read the 9 pages in between until a few minutes ago I'll admit.

EDIT: I haven't forummed in years, so I don't know how to edit in an additional quote... but addressing mariogamer here.

I'm not the most prolific coder (have a rudimentary grasp of the concept of code) and as I've said I don't personally care if it's a CFW or not, as that's been beat to death way before my post... It doesn't affect me other than it being a statement to OP rather than the "product" itself.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there plans for XCI reading? Seems like that's one thing most CFW are missing now (except for SX apparently).

Having to use devmenu when you can simply use your own xci from your back up feels more efficient (and "safer" from the looks of it). Probably not an easy thing to implement.

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no real need to read the 9 pages so far.
The features, sources, etc are all in the OP

Sometimes I've read people get pissed (in other posts/ forums) when people ask questions already addressed by someone else's post in (sometimes) a vast ocean of replies lol that's why I mentioned that.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Echoing_Mediocrity You'll probably get your questions answered after another 10 pages of whatabout-ism, keep it up.
There's no real need to read the 9 pages so far.
The features, sources, etc are all in the OP
yeah be careful guys, there's some legitimate criticism in there and you might want to avoid that

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Echoing_Mediocrity You'll probably get your questions answered after another 10 pages of whatabout-ism, keep it up.

yeah be careful guys, there's some legitimate criticism in there and you might want to avoid that

Lol like I said, as far as the CFW debate goes, I don't really have a horse in that race so to speak. I feel it's been addressed better than I could put it.

I just want to know what I simply asked about (The advantage, if any of this pack over any other for me), I mean, am I wrong for reading "the best CFW" and wanting a quantifier on that? Not that I'm entitled to this, but burden of proof type deal here.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol like I said, as far as the CFW debate goes, I don't really have a horse in that race so to speak. And I just want to know what I simply asked about (The advantage, if any of this pack over any other for me)
As I've said earlier, this pack is the culmination of a great deal of hard work by many individuals, including Rajkosto himself. It will do as much as ReiNX currently can do, although the design philosophy is a little different. SX OS has the XCI loading thing, but it's not as convenient as NSP installation, so unless you really want to try and skirt the line with Nintendo and possibly not get banned, it's not really necessary.

Basically, it comes down to what's more important to you; simple functionality, or user customization. ReiNX runs whatever kips you have in the sysmodules folder, and has a more streamlined patching service. RajNX has nicer NOGC patching and the config.ini file that lets you have lots of configurations. If you're more of an end-user who just wants to boot the Switch and have sigpatches and homebrew, ReiNX is your best bet. If you want a bigger role in what loads without deleting files, use RajNX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!